Pole Barn Machine Shop - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a beautiful piece of country. I and many other readers are envious, rest assured. Lovin' the Pacemaker. Great photos too- well lit through the day, what are you going to use for illumination inside?

What is that lathe beside the red Suburban, and is it yours as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC Mech View Post
    What a beautiful piece of country. I and many other readers are envious, rest assured. Lovin' the Pacemaker. Great photos too- well lit through the day, what are you going to use for illumination inside?

What is that lathe beside the red Suburban, and is it yours as well?
    Yes it is. Havent gotten to yet in this some what chronological narrative though.

It's a 25"x16' Model G L&S. Beast of a lathe, makes the Packemaker look like a toy.

I got it in that surplus machine deal I mentioned briefly above. The shop that had it decided to replace it with a smaller machine.

The shop foreman we were dealing with mentioned it in passing that they were going to scrap this lathe. Naturally I couldn't let that happen, so with about a day's notice Dad and I lined up a trailer with rented truck to save the lathe.

The riggers had orders to either put it on our trailer, or put in in the dumpster.

It's been sitting on that trailer ever since, and I still haven't had a chance to unload it. I think I'll need the P&H crane to do that. The lathe weighs 27,000lbs according to John Oder, and I don't know if the old Hyster has the stones to make that lift.

This was another epic overloaded machine move. Time will tell if it was worth the work....

I stared with LED highbays, they worked ok, but are expensive. I've had some bulbs burn out already, which should not happen this soon, so I've been finishing the lighting with T8 HO's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160312_143547_zpsqjgu95bc-1-.jpg   20160312_143446_zpsrp6wpjlt.jpg   20160311_131015.jpg   20160312_141024.jpg  
    Last edited by alskdjfhg; 12-05-2017 at 05:44 PM.

3. Likes Sachmanram, pressbrake1, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After the Pacemaker came into the shop. The next was the HBM and I also moved the Model G closer to the shop.

Didn't have the pickup with me that day, so used the Hyster to lift the tongue of the gooseneck and just went down the road backwards with it.

The HBM was also a surplus machine from the same shop I got the Pacemaker and Model G. It had been sitting outside for who knows how long, and another project that I have no idea if it will ever run.

But I like these European HBM's, built in rotary table, boring and facing head, line boring tail stock, and it also would cut threads if I had the change gearing for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just curious about the building code there in Texas. I thought you get tornados and hurricanes. What did you have to do to reinforce the two open roofs on both sides of the shed?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rotarySMP View Post
    Just curious about the building code there in Texas. I thought you get tornados and hurricanes. What did you have to do to reinforce the two open roofs on both sides of the shed?
    Mark
    Since I'm out in the country, I kinda can do my own thing. The permit process was only concerned that I was not in the floodzone, and if the building had a septic system. Since none of that applied to me, they didn't really care.

As far as what to do for bracing, this is a pole bar and the posts are set in a 24" holes at least 6' down, some of the holes were closer to 10', so thats a lot of concrete and skin friction to overcome to ever have the poles pulles out of the ground.

I was told by the building that this building would stand up to a 140mph winds, but I probably don't believe that.

If we ever get a storm to cause me to worry that the roof would peel off, I'd take some eye bolts, cable and run some temporary bracing from the roof down to the concrete holding the posts down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That sure looks like some awfully rich soil. Is it just too wet normally to grow corn?

A chum has 2 sets of steam engine wheels that need a HBM just like that one that y'all got there.

I'm just outside the edges of the old Black Swamp, and those fella's over yonder couldn't grow a bad crop if their life depended on it! (And I bet they never picked a rock up in their lives)

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    That sure looks like some awfully rich soil. Is it just too wet normally to grow corn?

A chum has 2 sets of steam engine wheels that need a HBM just like that one that y'all got there.
    It's not the best dirt for farming, but it isn't bad. They grow corn, milo and cotton mostly. I have seen some soybeans, and wheat, but it didn't look great. Up north a few hundred miles, in the blackland prarie, they grow more wheat. Much better dirt and a little more temperate than down here by the coast.

I saw your thread about those wheels. Surprised finding someone with an HBM is hard. Wish mine was running, a job like that sound cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Skipping lots of little stuff, but you get the idea. Essentially it's just been cycles of clean, move junk, clean, repeat...

Jumping ahead to a couple of weekends ago, finally got the shop doors up.

Welded the frames out of 1-1/4 square tubing, put 8' of siding on the bottom then 8' of clear PVC on top. They look kinda weird, but they are very light, cheap, and use a minimum of material.

Theft isn't too big of a concern, more to keep the weather out than anything. And with the advent of cordless angle grinders, what shop can't be broken into?

Had to recharge a bunch of stuff inside the shop to make room to build the doors. Started to rearrange machinery inside, not sure how I want everything laid out yet, so I'll probably be moving it all again.

And look, Houston gets that weird cold white stuff too. Listening to the news, youd have though we got 10', it was more like an inch and burned off by about 11 am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stupid question, but does anyone know where the apron oil reservoir fill plug is on a 24" Pacemaker?

Spent some time today cleaning this one up. Nearly all the bed ways are rust free, and carriage is moving, but rather stifly.

It has the push button style oilers on the apron, but for the life of me I couldn't find where your supoosed to add oil to the apron. Was oiling the ways by hand, but think it needs lots of oil run through the apron to get it moving nice and smooth.

It's got a bent clutch rod, but seems to be coming back from the dead nicely. I sized the belt I need for the RPC today, so may have 3-phase power next weekend.

This is what I'm working on;

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Matt - probably too modern but this is army manual on Greg Menke's web page

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/...rmy-manual.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's more snow than we have seen here...

Post Thanks / Like

Another, probably older than the lathe - says fill plug right carriage saddle wing

American Tool Works Co. - Publication Reprints - American Tool Works Pacemaker Instruction Book | VintageMachinery.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ewlsey View Post
    That's more snow than we have seen here...
    Now that's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Another, probably older than the lathe - says fill plug right carriage saddle wing

American Tool Works Co. - Publication Reprints - American Tool Works Pacemaker Instruction Book | VintageMachinery.org
    That's where logic says it would be, but there is nothing there except for the cartridge bed clamp bolt. It's got to be somewhere. All that's on the right saddle wind are the cap head screws holding the apron up, and the 11/16 square bolt that tightens the bed clamp.

Saw some other useful info in those docs, thanks for posting them.

Cleaning this machine up means basically going over every square inch by hand very slowly, really appreciating how well this thing is made. It's truly a beautiful machine, even in the state its in right now.

Fingers crossed it's got no issues inside the apron or headstock....
    Last edited by alskdjfhg; 12-11-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alskdjfhg View Post
    Since I'm out in the country, I kinda can do my own thing. The permit process was only concerned that I was not in the floodzone, and if the building had a septic system. Since none of that applied to me, they didn't really care.

As far as what to do for bracing, this is a pole bar and the posts are set in a 24" holes at least 6' down, some of the holes were closer to 10', so thats a lot of concrete and skin friction to overcome to ever have the poles pulles out of the ground.

I was told by the building that this building would stand up to a 140mph winds, but I probably don't believe that.

If we ever get a storm to cause me to worry that the roof would peel off, I'd take some eye bolts, cable and run some temporary bracing from the roof down to the concrete holding the posts down.
    Thanks. I guess it is almost impossible ($$$) to build a barn to survive a Cat 5 storm direct hit. Can you still get insuarance for storm damge in that region?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Damn Matthew, you should have called me. I have over 200 6-bulb T-8 fixtures with bulbs for sale for $25 each that I got from a store remodel. I guess I should have told you! Let me know if you need more. By the way, I picked up a Monarch model 60 13" x 30" at an auction last week for $250. Can't wait to get it home and see what kind of shape it is in. Shop is looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool iron man...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that's funny.

That's where logic says it would be, but there is nothing there except for the cartridge bed clamp bolt. It's got to be somewhere. All that's on the right saddle wind are the cap head screws holding the apron up, and the 11/16 square bolt that tightens the bed clamp.
    Well... as oil runs downhill, same as water, dunno why they would, but "hydraulically", there's nothing preventing a fill-plug mid-saddle, to the side of or even UNDER the cross-slide, or even at carriage REAR (to-the-wall side..).
    I'd first look for a "field repair" that accidentally concealed it by use of a bolt where a more obvious plug shudda been.

Green plastic wall anchors in place of spindle oil plugs came in the door with my second 10EE. Not really a good sign, actually, so i hope you have been better-served!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rotarySMP View Post
    Thanks. I guess it is almost impossible ($$$) to build a barn to survive a Cat 5 storm direct hit. Can you still get insuarance for storm damge in that region?
    Mark
    No reason a pole barn won't survive a Cat 5. There are probably millions of other pole barns in the gulf coast of all ages and in all conditions. They dont just blow over after every hurricane.

I have no reason to doubt the shop part of my barn would be fine. Harvey was a Cat 4, but it's wind damage wasn't too bad for our area.

The only way I think a hurricane would effect me would be blow the doors in, possible but I doubt it. And the more likely would be to pull the sheet metal off the lean to's on the side. But the lean to's are framed pretty heavy and the sheet metal is well secured so even for that I'm doubt full.

I'm planning on eventually enclosing the lean to sides, further minimizing any possible effect the wind might have on that part of the roof.

And yes about insurance. I don't know the size of the policy I have, but I have some general insurance covering the farm, farm house, tools, and building.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdjr59 View Post
    Damn Matthew, you should have called me. I have over 200 6-bulb T-8 fixtures with bulbs for sale for $25 each that I got from a store remodel. I guess I should have told you! Let me know if you need more. By the way, I picked up a Monarch model 60 13" x 30" at an auction last week for $250. Can't wait to get it home and see what kind of shape it is in. Shop is looking good.
    I do need more light, but I'm not sure how I want it to go exactly.

What I REALLY need are some extra indicators, 12" dial calipers and general machinist tools for work. I don't want to start moving all my tools over there, because I need them on the weekends.

So looks like I need to build up some extras of stuff to leave at work.

They got a lot newer iron at that shop. Attaching pictures of some of the stuff that happens there.

You got that other building cleaned out and your stuff all moved in?

Quote Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
    Cool iron man...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Well... as oil runs downhill, same as water, dunno why they would, but "hydraulically", there's nothing preventing a fill-plug mid-saddle, to the side of or even UNDER the cross-slide, or even at carriage REAR (to-the-wall side..).
    I'd first look for a "field repair" that accidentally concealed it by use of a bolt where a more obvious plug shudda been.

Green plastic wall anchors in place of spindle oil plugs came in the door with my second 10EE. Not really a good sign, actually, so i hope you have been better-served!
    I took that bolt out, and it's a 3" bolt that goes to the bed clamp. Looked down the hole with a flashlight, because at first I thought it must be the oil fill plug, but that's not what it is.

It's got to be there somewhere.

20. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I took that bolt out, and it's a 3" bolt that goes to the bed clamp. Looked down the hole with a flashlight, because at first I thought it must be the oil fill plug, but that's not what it is.

It's got to be there somewhere.
    Look also back of handwheels & their hubs, adjacent to levers and such. If there WAS a plug, it was lost, swarf took over the job, then PAINT?

Might have to probe for it with a darning needle... Safer than pressurizing the drained sump with an air-hose, but that, too, can work..

IF.. you have at least located a DRAIN plug, one can always swap-in a petcock, drain, flush, attach a bit of hose, elevate a container, back-fill a reasonable charge-size by gravity, shut the petcock, make chips until a better answer arrives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=alskdjfhg;3087684] ...And yes about insurance. I don't know the size of the policy I have, but I have some general insurance covering the farm, farm house, tools, and building. /QUOTE]

Having been through a fire two months ago, I strongly suggest you review your policy with your agent and ensure that your coverage is adequate and accurate. It is surprising how much money can be tied up in little bits and pieces you don't even think about until you no longer have them and need to replace them. It is also really discouraging when you find out that some items you thought were covered by one portion of your policy actually fall under another portion and your insurance settlement ends up lower than expected.