Protohawk Machine - Page 10
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we ended up giving in and using phase I to get the price of the property down. since it was an old metalworking shop back in the day the red tape was written all over the place and the cost of phase II wasn't gonna happen. at the end of the day it more/less means selling the building down the road is not much of an option....some can of worms just ain't worth opening up. but if you can get a good clean bill of health on the cheap that's a different story. being a little south in Milwaukee they just seem more interested in seeing how much they can milk you for before you give up trying.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm using Endpoint Solutions for the engineering, and I have a friend that worked there (actually we worked some of the same projects from different perspectives before we ever knew each other) so they are being super reasonable with the pricing and expediting things. It is a very small project for them which actually helps them expedite it.

I'm trying to not beat up the sellers on price too much. The stark reality is there are dozens of guys in this area that would pay cash for this building in an instant just as seasonal storage for their cars and motorcycles and not worry about the environmental. This is their old man's property and he passed last year IIRC. My realtor is trying to be much more aggressive but I would rather pay more for exactly what I need than haggle to the point where there is bad blood and then I need a concession from them... (like the extension on the financing contingency for environmental?!?).

Things are really slow right now (turns out authoritarian government intervention in markets makes people less comfortable spending discretionary income... hmmm that must be one of those "unintended consequences." Hayek is spinning in his grave.). I'm selling about 75-80% of what I need to in order to make all the bills. I can float through this for some time but I'd prefer to see account balances going UP not down. I have to get the small hand tools into production. I really want to avoid taking on job shop work until after I've got these processes dialed in and have some product on the shelf ready to ship.

Dropping off some parts at the anodizer today. We'll see what the lot charge is for two pieces LOL.

3. Likes pianoman8t8, shpxnvz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post

Dropping off some parts at the anodizer today. We'll see what the lot charge is for two pieces LOL.
    If you can put up with a 2-3 day turn around ship it to our shop in Ohio Minimum lot charge is 65.00 PM me if you are interested.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kinda cool product for an old engine - Ford Flathead 24-bolt. Playing around with a NAMpower brush for the tops of the plates - might go back to hand scotchbrite butb we'll see.

The kitchen is currently the shipping department...

Building a fixture for a project... have needed to make some phone calls to some real machinists for this one.

Also, Sandvik rep stopped by today to drop off some inserts for a boring head I got off eBay. It never ceases to amaze me how folks in this industry treat even the smallest shops like a potential major customer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That brush finish looks pretty good to me. I have a couple vibe tub tumblers about 18x18x30 and I run a lot of 6061 parts that are 18" x 5" x 1.5" through them. 3 parts at a time. A few hours and parts are pretty spiffy looking.

7. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks - I think I like it but I have gotten some pretty surprising phone calls from customers about how happy they are with the quality of what I've been sending and that is with the finish you see on the bottom of the Flathead pate (uniform Scotchbrite crosshatch).

This is an industry that is used to seeing things look a certain way, so we'll see how it is recieved.

They also (generally) love to see "water lines" in machining that scream "BILLET!" so those brush marks may just be the ticket.

Here's that finished fixture. Everything worked out great but the pins were a PITA to make. I got shrinkage in O2 when I heat treated, which I've not seen before, so I had to remake them a few times to get the sizing perfect.

I built it so I can coaxially indicate off the bore or just use my probe off the machined flats. The intersection of the two flats is coincident with the bore center. I had some trouble with cylindricity of the large bores so I'm excited to try that Sandvik Corobore 825 tool that's on the way. My local Sandvik rep is AWESOME. I asked for applications help and he dropped off some inserts for me to try and gave me a 390 series inserted mill to try gratis.

If you haven't used the 825 Corobore stuff, they are a treat. CRAZY expensive, but they get it done.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Clean bill of health from the environmental on the property. Hoping to close next week Wednesday or Thursday.

Have my Sharp VMC sold and trying to sell my Hurco to make way for a new machine to replace them both. I don't have spindle time demands per se, but I do need a control I like, MORE MEMORY, and a larger work envelope. I had to post a program today in EIGHT parts just to fit it in this ridiculous FANUC control. I have seven order prospects that won't fit in either of my machines and would need to be indexed mid-process.

This whole week I've been working on setting up some pretty complex parts for contract manufacture. I had a power outage last week that destroyed a $300 custom tool for the project and had to scramble for a replacement. I got lucky this week, as there was a fire up the street and the power company was on site to shut off power to the neighborhood but it didn't happen. Good thing, I was hogging 4140 and didn't feel like replacing a $400 tool body and $120 worth of inserts.

Have a ton of bites, but lots of guys contacting me are tentative about spending the money right now. I don't blame them.

This is supposed to be my busy season and I didn't cut a single in-house part this week. I did get my first parts through anodize and ship some, but not enough the keep the lights on in that new shop.

At least the wife hasn't been completely laid-off yet.

10. Likes Ox, bryan_machine, wheelieking71 liked this post