Protohawk Machine - Page 12
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have some parts in the works for both GM LS and the new Hemi. I gotta say, I know the LS has this huge mega-following and they are far from bad, but the hemi would be my choice from an engineering perspective. The Hemi has such a nicer, cleaner, common sense design compared to the ls.

I get they're all just built as cheap as possible to get the vehicle sold. The LS just seems like such a cludge of legacy design that GM won't stray from because they'll lose their fan club.

I've done some work with GM Atlas engines and those were pretty cool. Completely modern, common sense design that worked awesome except for GM's retarded 11x2 head bolts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fantastic buy on the Cmm, anything like that around here is easily 3-5 times what you paid. I’ve been watching for a CMM for years. I see them, broken, busted, missing all electronics for what you paid!

I use my brother as a CMM too often. . .

3. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah I was using the Sharp and a Haimer to probe things out before but it was quite time consuming and required making an MDF pattern first, then measuring that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So the Hurco was supposed to leave on Friday, but the riggers ran into trouble...

I can't believe they didn't bring steel plates. Now it is flood season and I have no idea how they are gonna get it out. If was my home shop no big deal, but it is really close to getting in the way of the shop owner's new business. I'm just sick of it hanging over my head.

Band saw station is close to being set up. Just gotta unfuck my mistake with the base I built and then decide how I want to mount the roller tables on the cantilever rack.

Also got the last bit of insulation done and we are still waiting for the new overhead door. About time to get on the drywaller to finish up as well. He did me a solid working me in so fast but now I have about two dozen things I can't get done until they finish.

The compressor is going into that back corner by the cantilever rack and the pallet racking. I may or may not build an enclosure. I've got a bunch of Owens Corning 703 from my home studio build so this is a perfect application. Even if I just leave it open at the top and wall it in that would help.

Gonna be a lot of long days this week. I've gotta get parts to black oxide in the next few days so I can get them through laser marking by the end of the month. Also have to build a bunch of custom jaws for holding OP3 torque plates where the valley studs are at an angle. BBC, Gen 2 Hemi, and some BBF stuff comes to mind.

Lost two days of production last week to probe and toolsetter installation, and evidently they still need to send someone out to do the software installation and calibration. Now I know why the principal at my last day job was such a dick to vendors. It seems if you don't give them the "I will have this working by XXX day or you will come pick this machine up outside and I will never buy from you again" line (and mean it) they will give you the "nice guy" treatment and push you off. All that said, the actual on-site installation tech was fantastic. One of the two guys who did the initial commissioning. Okuma has everything necessary for the spare pump (used to feed the outboard TSC pump) to be used for washdown, so now I've got a killer washdown hose setup.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If that compressor is what it looks like, it shouldn't make enough noise to need an enclosure...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Lost two days of production last week to probe and toolsetter installation, and evidently they still need to send someone out to do the software installation and calibration. Now I know why the principal at my last day job was such a dick to vendors. It seems if you don't give them the "I will have this working by XXX day or you will come pick this machine up outside and I will never buy from you again" line (and mean it) they will give you the "nice guy" treatment and push you off. All that said, the actual on-site installation tech was fantastic.
    I gotta compliment Yamazen in this regard, they were fantastic in getting me up and running and on a dead line. Even with several schedule conflicts they got my machine installed and the service manager came down to do my training.

Quote Originally Posted by DrHook View Post
    If that compressor is what it looks like, it shouldn't make enough noise to need an enclosure...
    wah wah wah.... poor guy's gonna have to put up with all that noise He could leave it where it is in the picture and hardly be interrupted when it kicks on

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The compressor is going into that back corner by the cantilever rack and the pallet racking. I may or may not build an enclosure.
    Don't do it! Trust me, BTDT. (at least don't completely enclose it)
    These screws actually generate quite a lot of heat, and need fresh air.
    Unless you can incorporate some kind of cool/fresh air circulation in to the enclosure? Don't do it.
    Even my little guy (SX5), where I had it parked in the last shop: it was in an 8x16 (ish) room. The room had a drop ceiling @ 7ft. And, the 36" door was always open.
    But, there was about 8ft above the drop ceiling. The compressor constantly ran around 162'F. If I removed the two ceiling tiles above the hot-air outlet?
    The compressor would run at a pretty consistent 156'F. They need to breath.

9. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    wah wah wah.... poor guy's gonna have to put up with all that noise He could leave it where it is in the picture and hardly be interrupted when it kicks on
    Yes, no denying that they are whisper quiet, as far as air-compressors go. But, the noise they do make is very un-pleasant.
    And, gets very annoying after a while. It was a happy day when mine went outside!

11. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Yes, no denying that they are whisper quiet, as far as air-compressors go. But, the noise they do make is very un-pleasant.
    And, gets very annoying after a while. It was a happy day when mine went outside!
    It does, it's almost a whine... The last shop I worked at had two HORRIBLE piston compressors that were louder than hell and produced insane amounts of moisture. I begged the boss to get rid of them and he lucked into buying a used Kaeser. Night and Day doesn't even describe them. At least with the Kaeser I could turn my music up a little and cover up the whine

13. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah it is an older SM8. Much louder than my Atlas Copco at home, BUT it is also 3-4 times as powerful. The Kaeser manual has the room dimensions and makeup air requirements for an enclosure - I was going to feed it and exhaust it inside during the winter months and then open some dampers and maybe turn on some fans to feed it outside air (and exhaust outside) during the summer.

I think the fact it was setup to use vent ducting means it is missing some of the sound deadening. It has to be over 80dB from a meter away. It is rated at 68dB but I'll check with my meter when I remember to bring it to the shop.

I may reach out to Kaeser to see what might be needed to stick it outdoors. Biggest issue is likely the cold in the winter - it gets a lot colder here than their minimum rated intake air temperature.

Spent like three hours today just to ship something out of country. Then the customer tells me he has a domestic shipping address he uses for that exact reason, and I got to repackage and label it for the new address...

Cutting some hardened 4140 parts. Man this machine makes pretty finishes. Makes me wish I was a better programmer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know why you would want to suck air from outside in the winter at all.

If you are A/C'd in the summer - I can see not wanting to draw from inside in the summer, but if you are not A/C'd, then sucking from the inside (and exh outside) would help to draw fresh air inside.

Although I can't imagine you will be using nearly that much air?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Winter I would pull from and exhaust inside, summer (I have A/C) I would pull from and exhaust outside.

17. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not completely familiar with the subject, but if it is an air compressor, then pulling from the outside would be the choice in winter as the air is cold and dry, just characteristics you want. Cold means the air is more dense and cold means less heat is generated and less hp to compress. Summer just the opposite, air outside is warm and wet. Precondition the summer air with an A/C?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Winter I would pull from and exhaust inside
    It would be excellent supplemental heat in the winter!
    My A/C has a much easier time keeping up without the compressor in the room.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have to run humidifiers on our furnaces in the winter to try to keep the air around 40% relative humidity around here. Biggest reason though for using inside air in the winter is that the compressor needs warmer than ambient air many days, plus BTUs I'm already paying for would stay inside, as wheelie points out.

Broke a drill today. I was taking it easy (I thought). Reached for the spare... it didn't make the move. Drills on order and I can pick up tomorrow. Got a bunch of programming done and some other administrative tasks that needed doing.

21. Likes Ox, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pro Tip:

When you think the A/C is blowing kinda warm and the temperature climbs 12*F over a twelve hour day... maybe check and see if the breaker for the A/C Compressor is actually on... The Okuma still held a few tenthousandths even with the temperature swing. Maybe that whole "thermo-friendly concept" thing is real.

Cutting parts all week (wish I could share, NDA stuff), drywallers are here, finally got a few orders in for the new product line, large overhead door gets installed today, and masons are finishing their part of the lintel/door repair this weekend.

My mom started stopping in on her days off and doing the training and things like PO processing and receiving in the system. I think she's chomping at the bit to retire and come work here a few days a week LOL.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Drywallers got a bunch done today and will be back tomorrow and Friday between other jobs. The new Garage Door is in!!!!!

I went with windows, and I'm glad I did. I'm going to have shelving or a wall back there so you won't really be able to see anything but some racking and boxes, and I can always throw paper up if I need the privacy. The natural light back there is fantastic.

Balkan Door Company did the work and they were reasonably priced and the service was great. He's doing some repairs on my other doors gratis since he has spare parts laying around for them anyways.

24. Likes RF, wheelieking71, 2outof3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see Okuma doesn't list external machine dimensions on their site. Approximately what is the overall height of the machine with the Z up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"If you haf'ta ask - you can't envelop it" ???

------------------

Sweatin' to the Oldies!
    Ox
    Attached Images Attached Images sweating.gif 
    Last edited by Ox; 06-03-2020 at 07:56 AM. Reason: 't

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    "If you haf'ta ask - you can envelop it" ??? Ox
    Not currently! Planning to add on though this yr or next, would be a good data point, to help dictate what ceiling height to go with. 10ft, 11ft, 12ft, 14ft, etc.

Obviously wouldn't fit in my current 8ft ceiling! LOL. Nor currently in my budget, need more space first. I haven't played with an Okuma mill yet, but I've run a couple Okuma lathes, older and newer, (and now own a late 80's LR15 twin turret chucker), and love them. I dig the Okuma control more than Fanuc, although I still haven't gotten used to the mid-program start yet...