Protohawk Machine - Page 13
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the quote.
    I see that I missed the 't that changes the whole thing.

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My bad Ox, I must have fat-fingered-deleted the 't during my typing, you had included it originally. I did a bad quoting job. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

NO NO!

I edited my post!

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

*facepalm* lol

5. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

pianoman8t8,

a word from the ignorant, if you ask your builder to put in 12ft ceilings, make sure they understand that means a MINIMUM of 12ft ceilings.

I spec'd 12ft ceilings for my building, when the builders were done, the trusses sat at 11' 7". By the time I put in stringers and the ceiling panels it is 11' 4".

Fortunately I wound up buying a Brother, and not the Mazak I had planned, which if I remember right, the Mazak was 11' 6" or there abouts, with the z fully up. I remember this only because I asked Mazak what the smallest door I could fit a new 720 through, and they said it could easily go in a 10x10 door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't believe I'll have to clarify anything to any builders, it'll likely be me building it lol
    It'll be a slanted ceiling likely, taller on one side than the other, and my intent is to have the shorter side 11-12ft, while the other will be whatever a 1:12 pitch yields over 24-28ft (couple feet or so taller)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT op: [Mostly motorsports stuff that could be +/-0.020" without issue.]
    and done with a hack saw and a file for fininshing...
    Braging about .002 for mill work is not worth saying anything at all.

Back in school shop class we figured an old Brdgeport good for .001.
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 06-03-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    pianoman8t8,

a word from the ignorant, if you ask your builder to put in 12ft ceilings, make sure they understand that means a MINIMUM of 12ft ceilings.

I spec'd 12ft ceilings for my building, when the builders were done, the trusses sat at 11' 7". By the time I put in stringers and the ceiling panels it is 11' 4".

Fortunately I wound up buying a Brother, and not the Mazak I had planned, which if I remember right, the Mazak was 11' 6" or there abouts, with the z fully up. I remember this only because I asked Mazak what the smallest door I could fit a new 720 through, and they said it could easily go in a 10x10 door.
    That seems pretty common. Especially with pole buildings. For example, you want 16' ceilings. Builder buys 20' posts instead of 22's. 4' has to go in the ground. The truss takes 8" and how thick is that slab going to be? That 16' just became 14'6" and the builder still thinks your getting 16' somehow. I think they go off the length of the siding on the outside for whatever reason.

Probably like how some people like to give you the size of a machine by the table dimensions, but the work envelope is really what matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garwood View Post
    probably like how some people like to give you the size of a machine by the table dimensions, but the work envelope is really what matters.
    exactly!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman8t8 View Post
    I don't believe I'll have to clarify anything to any builders, it'll likely be me building it lol
    It'll be a slanted ceiling likely, taller on one side than the other, and my intent is to have the shorter side 11-12ft, while the other will be whatever a 1:12 pitch yields over 24-28ft (couple feet or so taller)

A 1/12 in Maine?

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hopefully... with a metal roof, so *hopefully* it slides off easily either on it's own, or if I need to shovel it when it gets heavy. I'm limited in slope in my case.. I'm planning to add onto my existing garage/shop, which has 8ft ceiling. Planning to dig down a bit next to it, say 3-4ft away, about 3-4ft deep, and 20-24ft wide at that point. Garage is sort of built into a hill, parallel to the hill, so where I want to go down on the other side of garage, land is already sloped away a bit.

Anyway, reason for minimal slope, is so I don't interfere with 2nd story windows of garage. If I maintain not interfering with those, the slope will essentially dictate what height the "short" end will be, once the depth relationship of new pad to current pad is defined (3-4ft). Make sense? I believe I'd be going with a 14" or 16" wood I beam for rafters, to span that length unsupported (further reducing ceiling height). I don't want posts in the middle. Now, where the concrete "shoulder" would be at the 3-4ft out, 3-4ft down location, I plan to add support there to the roof vertically, so the 24ft wide addition roof isn't putting all that weight on existing garage wall (2x4 wall). It already has enough load on it. I can screenshot my model of my plans, but I don't want to hijack Rick's thread. I don't have enough of a shop to start my own thread lol.

Those I beams were spec'd out by a local lumber supplier/designer, 90psf snow load, 1/12 pitch.

13. Likes Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Z axis moves up and down on the X Axis, so it doesn't actually extend or retract visibly outside the machine enclosure. The tallest part is the guide for the utilities going down into the Z/X axis, which is 108.11" off the ground including the leveling feet/pucks at installed height.

15. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    The Z axis moves up and down on the X Axis
    I'm not following, but that's ok. 108", not bad really. So the head doesn't go up and down like the Sharp SV2412 does?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, the X axis has a fixed upper height which is the cable/utility guide. The Z axis is attached to the X-axis (it is a bridge-ish machine, the table only moves in Y) and does not go up above the sheet metal at its highest point. So when you look at a picture of the machine, the dark gray or black T-shaped sheet metal in the center on the top is as tall as it gets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    No, the X axis has a fixed upper height which is the cable/utility guide. The Z axis is attached to the X-axis (it is a bridge-ish machine, the table only moves in Y) and does not go up above the sheet metal at its highest point. So when you look at a picture of the machine, the dark gray or black T-shaped sheet metal in the center on the top is as tall as it gets.
    Ah, I see it now. Somehow I missed that detail the 1st time I looked on their site.