Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    From Facebook:

Protohawk is excited to announce the acquisition of CCA Racing Products. CCA has built a 15-year reputation for high quality torque plates and engine rebuild tooling, and we look forward to carrying on this tradition. With a catalog of well over 100 engine families, plus new custom designs added each year, we can help you with all your non-consumable engine rebuild tooling needs. Contact us through the CCA Racing Products website at Torque Plates & Honing Plates | Menomonee Falls, WI. The Facebook and Instagram pages will be forthcoming, but the email and phone numbers will remain the same.

Attachment 275579

In the words of the internet, I AM MUCH EXCITE!
    Ohh man, Congrats!
    That has to be sweet. Purchasing a business centered around something you are passionate about.
    Best of luck with it!

2. Likes Ox, CBlair, Rick Finsta liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Awesome!!! Good luck!

Nice website, my only real suggestion would be updating it. Most of the dates seem to be from 2015
    Ha! Yeah, I have seen much worse but it is pretty bad. One step at a time so we are looking at getting the domain registration stuff taken care of next week. Right now it is managed hosting, so depending on how it is structured I may move over to Wix so I can make edits and updates myself. Managed hosting is a double edged sword like that. Then we can switch over the email to forward to my domain under an alias, and also move the phone number over to forward to me. The seller has been great about keeping up on orders and such, and making introductions to supplies and the distributors. He is also continuing to answer the phone and email (there is basically 100% purchase after contact, so not much screwing around answering folks that aren't buying which is great) until we get that done. I contracted for consulting hours (some free, after which I will pay him) and he is wasting no time getting me what I need during the transition.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Offer to purchase is going in today on a shop space. 2700 square feet, concrete parking lot, and 10-12' clearance with the ability to get a z-axis up to around 16' or so if I punch a hole in the drywall ceiling. Three 8'x8' doors and one 10'x10' which should be able to fit about anything I could possible put in over the next few years. Block and stone construction, some nice windows, and forced air HVAC.

Need environmental and some engineering review as there is some settling on a few of the footings, but it is a solid space.

And it has 240V 400A 3-phase! I guess the last machine shop that was in there (used to store cars now) had 480V 600A service for a single machine in the addition (the part that has the taller clearance. Yeeesh that is a lot of juice for one machine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check with the power company about the 3-phase. A good friend of mine rented a place with 240 3 phase. Because the 3-phase power had been switched “off” by the previous tenant, the power company would no longer switch it “on” due to it being 240. Since it was considered a “new” service, 240 is no longer to code, and he had to upgrade the transformers and update everything from the pole to 208. Was about $12k in UN expected expenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Check with the power company about the 3-phase. A good friend of mine rented a place with 240 3 phase. Because the 3-phase power had been switched “off” by the previous tenant, the power company would no longer switch it “on” due to it being 240. Since it was considered a “new” service, 240 is no longer to code, and he had to upgrade the transformers and update everything from the pole to 208. Was about $12k in UN expected expenses.

If that's the case, maybe your chum should put in his own pad mount, and have any V he wants, and save some on hydro costs.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    If that's the case, maybe your chum should put in his own pad mount, and have any V he wants, and save some on hydro costs.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    This was about 10 years ago, but he couldn’t put in his own as it still wouldn’t be up to code. 240 is not acceptable for a new service for 3 phase. At least not in Medina or Wooster. I would assume it is National code, since Wooster uses National. New service needs to be 208.

I should qualify that! According to the power company and Medina’s electrical inspector. I asked my inspector when I built my building and he said the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This must be a wye/delta thing?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t know. I know my friend argued like hell against it, not only from the financial side, but all of his machinery is 240.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

240 and 208 are both common and different voltages/types of power. They aren't the same thing even if they're both 3 phase. There's two types of 480 also.

There's no code that says no more 240 3 phase.

If I had a choice I would want 480 service. Everything costs a ton more new, but used 480 stuff is cheap and the wire is significantly cheaper when you have bigger sized equipment.

I just pulled 140 ft of 2AWG to feed one machine on 240. Would have been cake on 480.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He should have just had 480 dropped in _ in stead and then X it down for the ones that need it.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

where aboots location wise shop going to be?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ducesrwld View Post
    where aboots location wise shop going to be?
    It is in Cedarburg, about 20min. North of Milwaukee.

As for the power, they were actually only using two 200A panels for everything, so the power is on. They are just running single space breakers for the single phase 110V stuff. So I think that means it is actually 208V Wye?

Or could be corner-grounded delta? Pretty common in Milwaukee not sure about around here. I only saw three conductors coming from the pole into the ground.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roll cage is done! This thing is going to be invisible from the outside once painted. Chassis certification clinic is in April I think, time to get signed up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will have to ask him next I see him. I am probably forgetting the details.

Regardless... the point was! check the electricity so that there are no SURPRISES.

The worst part about it, is the space is RENTED. So the 12k he spent... is the landlords.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of the first work for the new business yesterday and today. Working on getting the technology transfer done over the next five weeks.

Today was modeling, tool library building, programming, and reverse engineering for a new custom torque plate. R07 NASCAR block.

Also, ACCEPTED OFFER! Now it is time to deal with the bankers and get inspections and engineering lined up. Closing date is March 16th. Fuck me, these bankers are lazy. They take months to do a few hour's worth of work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure you want to post pictures of pulling geometry off a chunk of MDF with your new business name attached to it?

Guys do use these to pick up on bore centers right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    It is in Cedarburg, about 20min. North of Milwaukee.

As for the power, they were actually only using two 200A panels for everything, so the power is on. They are just running single space breakers for the single phase 110V stuff. So I think that means it is actually 208V Wye?

Or could be corner-grounded delta? Pretty common in Milwaukee not sure about around here. I only saw three conductors coming from the pole into the ground.
    nice we are a few clicks south down in the outskirts of the "hood". as far as the electric goes it is pretty screwy my sparky buddy was trying to explain to me how it worked as there is a "ghost" phase and after explaining it he admitted he even has a hard time understanding what the f its doing and he is a sharp cat. i'm no pro on the sparky stuff but have hooked up all the 3 phase equipment in our place.

nice to hear another guy in the area heading out on their own. with the old timers closing their doors their is plenty of opportunity out there for those that get into this hectic industry.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Sure you want to post pictures of pulling geometry off a chunk of MDF with your new business name attached to it?

Guys do use these to pick up on bore centers right?
    No, these are bolted down to duplicate the cylinder wall distortion due to fastener torque. Rough geometry is pulled from the gasket using one of a few methods (this was a field expedient method I came up with yesterday) and then the verification method is the proprietary part of the process that I won't be sharing LOL.

Honestly, though, nothing on these plates except locating dowels are any more than clearance holes. Lots of +/- 0.010" stuff. Anyone worth their salt is using the dowel pins on the block deck and the crank centerline to located the bores, and these get bolted on after location. Until you mentioned it I never thought there might be hacks out there using these for location, but I guess it is possible. Most "hacks" I've known of locate off one or more of the bores instead of the factory datum.

Very few shops actually use these correctly... most just bolt them on with factory torque, which gets you *better* cylindricity than not using one, but the correct method is to torque down the head, flip the block over, and take measurements of the bore from below. Then attach the plate and torque the fasteners until you duplicate your readings form the head. This reportedly takes days for setup in a pro stock engine shop! Just bolting these on does get you closer than not using them at all, and is the default mode of operation.

I am heavily leaning towards picking up a manual CMM just because it would pay for itself in times savings alone over the course of the next 3-4 customs I already have on my plate.

The first product off my new machine:

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ducesrwld View Post
    nice we are a few clicks south down in the outskirts of the "hood". as far as the electric goes it is pretty screwy my sparky buddy was trying to explain to me how it worked as there is a "ghost" phase and after explaining it he admitted he even has a hard time understanding what the f its doing and he is a sharp cat. i'm no pro on the sparky stuff but have hooked up all the 3 phase equipment in our place.

nice to hear another guy in the area heading out on their own. with the old timers closing their doors their is plenty of opportunity out there for those that get into this hectic industry.
    I use Frank Gilitzer Electric for everything, and have ever since I met that crew a few day jobs past. Drop me a line this summer if you want to pop up and see the shop... I should be moved in by then LOL.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice product!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk