Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    “Y’all are fucked up”
    Just tell him we write in assembly. And then point him to The Story of Mel.

And congratulations, "Rick" ! Gonna be a fun ride

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks! So far this bet is paying off, as the orders are coming in steadily.

Today I'm making spacers. The old owner bet me a six pack that I'd hire someone to do this before the year was over, but I think I'm going to just saw cut blanks and mill/chamfer them in the VMC rather than on the manual lathe (I don't have a DRO which is maybe something I need to remedy now). At least until I get a turning center! I only have four sizes, and they are made from DOM tubing. I could even just make a few sets of jaws with stepped diametric cuts in them so I could use one set for all sizes. Just hit the facing operation with an HSM path so cutting pressure is low, and then chamfer.

I am also going to look at one of those short-mast Toyota forklifts that would be perfect for the low ceilings in the shop!

3. Likes antiquecollector liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alright!

So today I bought a Kaeser SM-8 and Ingersoll dryer attached to a 90gal horizontal tank for $3k. The company is storing it for me until I close on the new shop.

I also bought a Toyota 5FGCU25 with the short mast that looks like it is barely used. It was refurbished by a local dealer and then used a few times a year by the current owners. They had service records, everything. The oil in the crankcase looks brand new and it was last serviced in September. 20k hours on it total but only a hundred or so with the current owners. $2500 and they are storing it for a few days while I get an equipment trailer down there to pick it up.

I also hardened tool steel for the first time. I needed some inserts I didn't have in stock for CCA Racing, so I made them on my manual lathe. I know the previous owner had issues with these cracking and had to figure out what steel and hardness worked best, so I think I want to normalize these in the oven once the wife is asleep.

What?

5. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post

Toyota 5FGCU25
    The oil in the crankcase looks brand new
    20k hours on it total
    $2500
    Wooooowwwwwww.... some guys have all the luck!

You can't buy a scrap worthy, bleeding oil, sputtering, wheels falling off, no seat, POS around here for $2500!

Let alone the Kaeser you stole...

(20,000 hrs does seem high for a machine that looks new?)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well most of the forklifts "for sale" around here are scams. Craigslist is the wild west!

...dress accordingly.

8. Likes antiquecollector, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks! So far this bet is paying off, as the orders are coming in steadily.

Today I'm making spacers. The old owner bet me a six pack that I'd hire someone to do this before the year was over, but I think I'm going to just saw cut blanks and mill/chamfer them in the VMC rather than on the manual lathe (I don't have a DRO which is maybe something I need to remedy now). At least until I get a turning center! I only have four sizes, and they are made from DOM tubing. I could even just make a few sets of jaws with stepped diametric cuts in them so I could use one set for all sizes. Just hit the facing operation with an HSM path so cutting pressure is low, and then chamfer.

I am also going to look at one of those short-mast Toyota forklifts that would be perfect for the low ceilings in the shop!
    I make spacers like that from DOM and/or solid. I cut them with an auto saw and do everything else in a VMC. Even just a single vise on the table that holds 2 spacers is really quick. Most of my spacer programs go left to right then pause like 2" in Z above the part then go back right to left. Face and chamfer with an endmill with 45 corners.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is perfect for a small CNC lathe, too! I just passed on a quote package for job shop work that was all turning work... I really need to get through the shop transition first, though. I was thinking a macro program where you just stick the size and length into the variable tables and then press "GO." I could do the same with the VMC. I am likely going to program the different bore sizes that way eventually.

Also, I am buying an ERP. I am 90% going with JobBOSS, but may be swayed to E2 Shoptech. Big thing is I need multi-level BOM capability, and I need it fast. I need to get all the information into one spot where I can use it efficiently! Too much looking things up in notebooks and spreadsheets.

The forklift is home!

Also, shipped my first product today! Also got a few more orders. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! Anxiety. So much to do...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Holy crap, top notch work man.!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well most of the forklifts "for sale" around here are scams. Craigslist is the wild west!
    I've noticed that around here as well! WTF?! Why is a forklift a good item to scam people with?
    Several times now, I have responded: "what is your address? I'm on my way with cash"
    That is all it takes to figure out if its legit. All you have to do is whisper "cash" for them to go silent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Protohawk Machine

Toyota makes a great forklift.

My 7FGCU25 (5k lift) has almost 26,000 hours! And just runs and purrs like a kitten....doesn’t burn a drop of oil. The 4Y motor is just legendary.

All I’ve done in 10 years of ownership was replace the distributor assembly (don’t buy from forklift dealer, it’s the same distributor used on millions of automobile 4Y motors!)

And a couple months ago, we took the carb and intake off to clean all the buildup away, as she was down on power because of it.

It’s amazing how much sticky black crud can build up in the carb and intake manifold after a few years!

Also, your regulator can malfunction to buildup of propane “honey”. (Easy to take apart and clean, rebuild kits are cheap).

Other than that, change the oil and filters, don’t abuse her, and she should outlast you.

ToolCat

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the biggest things to keep a forklift running good other than cleaning the fuel system is to change the oil regularly. Many small shop forklifts dont run long enough to burn the water out of the oil. We had a couple of Toys at the iron foundry I used to work at. They always seemed to outlast the other brands. Even with the beating the guys there gave them. They didnt look where they were going, they just pushed forward and bounced off the bumpers till they got where they were going. Made quite a racket.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlair View Post
    Many small shop forklifts dont run long enough to burn the water out of the oil.
    Charles
    BINGO!
    Condensation is a killer. They typically run it just long enough to make it sweat. Then shut it off. Not good!

16. Likes antiquecollector liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Drove a 40’s? Towmotor, the brand towmotor, it was a converted gas continental(?) motor. It was pathetic and had no power. My brother told me to open the air filter canister. I did. It was a chocolate milkshake.

He replaced the head gasket, but once he did, he said it didn’t need it. Years, decades, of exactly what you described, resulted in built up moisture.

I asked one of the guys who had worked there 20+ years when the oil was last changed. He said not to his knowledge

THAT towmotor went for $1500 at auction.

18. Likes antiquecollector liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And i bet for the price it brought it could have lived 20 more years if that cost was spent on oil and filters... love it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whenever I run mine, even if I only need it for a minute or two, it runs long enough to fully warm-up and steam off any moisture in the engine. I will look at the clock when I lite it off. And, generally make sure it runs for at least 15 minutes. And as mentioned many times: oil and filter, often. Oil is cheap!

21. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is perfect for a small CNC lathe, too! I just passed on a quote package for job shop work that was all turning work... I really need to get through the shop transition first, though. I was thinking a macro program where you just stick the size and length into the variable tables and then press "GO." I could do the same with the VMC. I am likely going to program the different bore sizes that way eventually.

Also, I am buying an ERP. I am 90% going with JobBOSS, but may be swayed to E2 Shoptech. Big thing is I need multi-level BOM capability, and I need it fast. I need to get all the information into one spot where I can use it efficiently! Too much looking things up in notebooks and spreadsheets.

The forklift is home!

Also, shipped my first product today! Also got a few more orders. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH! Anxiety. So much to do...

save yourself the headaches and buy shoptech e2 web. We use is daily with almost 40 employees and I used their professional non web version when I first started.

If you have any questions about it, I'd be happy to give some input as a user/shop owner with it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only issue with that is it looks like I'd need to go to E2 MFG in order to handle the multi-level BOMs and associated material ordering for sub-assemblies.

I've heard nothing but good feedback on JobBOSS and it does everything I need. Though, point of clarification, I will need to buy the desktop version of Quickbooks to handle the interface with my accountant's system. JobBOSS puts is on a virtual machine in the same cloud instance as the ERP installation, so you have access to it anywhere, but bottom line is QB Online doesn't integrate whereas the desktop version does.

Today I'm just unloading the WIP inventory from the truck (so I can get my dad's truck back to him LOL) and I just finished reverse engineering a BMW 4.4L V8 that I'll be cutting Monday or Tuesday.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Starting to dig through all the DXFs and model everything. I'm not sure how I'll handle part numbers for the different spacers but I have everything set up with linked assemblies so I can update the individual parts and they will update in any assembly in which they are used.

Yeah, there is some IP in that picture but if you get that far you can have the spacer length LOL.

25. Likes wheelieking71, pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL, not the first time tempering in the house oven

27. Likes Rick Finsta liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)