Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More plates going out, engineering inspection of the new property is on Friday. Got a PO for another cool project (NDA so I can't show that one, too bad cool parts) and some of the small tools have been selling on eBay so I've gotta tool up to make more at my home shop (the main production machine for the torque plates is at the seller's place still).

Not sure how we're going to move the machine... I don't know if the ground is going to be hard enough until June now.

I lost five pounds last week. Amazing what the "exercise" part of "healthy diet and exercise" can do when you start moving again! I actually gained ten when I left the day job (I started drinking soda like it was my job LOL) but I'm back down to my normal weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Feel free to send me your overflow. Best part about it, when you DO get your Brother you'll have proven out programming.

Glad to hear business is humming along for you. We can all live vicariously

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, the hard numbers are I'd be swimming in cash flow right now if I didn't need to buy a building (or lease) and tool up a shop. To be blunt, with the extra outlay for the building... things are going to be tight for a while. I am hoping that a good relationship with my new neighbors (mostly swiss shop I think) either gets me overflow work or a part time gig to make ends meet. LOL

All the small tooling is FOR SURE Speedio work. I mean, not even a question I could walk all over this Hurco with a Brother.

But the torque plates are 40-60% material removal. If I had the choice I'd put it on a horizontal. Chip recutting is a big problem. Hurcos SUCK for chip evacuation, too. So every 2-3 plates I fill a 42gal drum of aluminum chips but most of that I have to manually scoop out of the enclosure. If you guys understood the irony of me ending up with a Hurco...

Something isn't right with the coolant flow on this machine, either. I'm considering tossing a 300psi Grundfos on there and a coolant ring from here:

Hurco VM10i – Coolant Rings for Hurco

That should at least help.

4. Likes Ox, cnctoolcat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of my verticals came with some kind of upgraded coolant pump. It's got to be a couple hundred PSI through three 1/4" nozzles and three 1/2" nozzles. Nothing stays in a slot or a deep pocket. The problem is just keeping the coolant in the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, as you fill the enclosure with chips, it will hold more and more coolant, and the more pressure that you have, the more GPM that you have, the more likely you are to suck the tank dry, only to fill it clear up when left to sit.

Horizontal with twin screws is your friend!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Yeah, as you fill the enclosure with chips, it will hold more and more coolant, and the more pressure that you have, the more GPM that you have, the more likely you are to suck the tank dry, only to fill it clear up when left to sit.

Horizontal with twin screws is your friend!

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I wish I had a friend

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That makes two of us, Wheelie!

There are a pair of Okuma MB5000H machines at my local used equipment dealer... LOL

I am thinking I will split off the coolant lines and run some cabinet flush lines as well. One thing is for sure I'm going to hook up a mist collector! I got one with the sale it just hasn't been installed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll post some pictures soon, but I put a larger Grundfos in this thing and...

PROBLEMS! LOL

The coolant is a Cimcool product - 1070, I think? I'm a Qualichem 250/251 fanboy so I will be using that when I get this machine in the new shop, but for now I had to buy antifoam to stop the thing from pissing all over the place.

Also, (did I mention I think Hurcos are poorly designed?) the chip conveyor is a separate rectangular trough with a perforated screen in it that separates the auger from a dead space around the periphery. That ENTIRE periphery was full of chips. And you can't remove the screen or readily access the periphery without removing the auger, motor, and end chute. So I spent about four hours last Friday getting all that cleaned out. I swear the instant I can justify a Matsuura and a Speedio I'm switching over LOL.

I am still getting orders almost daily. Lots of request for rentals, and I'm trying to get my head around the economics of it. The easier and cheaper it is to access my products for folks with oddball engines, the more that little niche market starts to grow to "require" my product for all engine rebuilds. But I don't want to have time and materials not covered for the first rental fee. I've got a few different pilot program ideas in motion now, and we'll see what bears the most fruit.

Only thing left on the new shop is the environmental. I am good friends with an engineer that worked at the firm doing the Phase I, so I'm going to call and see what kind of beer/scotch they like to get things lubricated. I'm hoping to be able to close early!

My mom helped out today which was super sweet. She's going to be retiring soon and honestly I can't imagine what she'd love more (other than grandkids time, I know where I stand LOL) than doing some clerical work at the shop a few hours a week, and maybe doing some shipping stuff. She exported a bunch of designs from the seller's CAD system to .DXF for me to use. It was taking me forever and she knocked it out in no time.

Also, I finally got my 3/4" rougher dialed in. I've got the seller's original 2 hour cycle times down to around 45 minutes, and I haven't even begun to get serious about getting after it. I won't be happy until I can knock out a piece in less than 30min. back and front.

10. Likes Ox, Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd imagine you will lose rental tools regularly if they need return shipping. Anything I have sold that required a core sent back or had some kind of a loaner tool that went along didn't have a good rate of being sent back. Good luck on a deposit too. Many who will keep your stuff will also have no problem doing a chargeback if they don't get what they want.

12. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The way it works is they pay full retail price for what I send, and then they get a debit back when I get it back in serviceable order. Minus a $5/day late charge per piece for every calendar day after ten business days have elapsed since they received it. Funny enough since 2005, only one customer ever stiffed the previous owner on a bill.

I'm swamped. Turns out just answering the phone pays off pretty big in this industry. I am not sure how I am going to keep up with the shop closing coming up and the impending move. I want to post some interesting stuff I've done but I'm having trouble finding the time.

ERP software (JobBOSS) was installed Monday and Quickbooks is on the same virtual machine on the cloud server. I've got vendors/customer/item lists moved over and now before importation into JobBOSS I need to modify names to less than ten characters. Looks like another job for Mom!

I need a CNC lathe or 32mm Swiss machine for the round parts.

Material removal (this is about 1/4 of the material; most is in the cabinet and about 1/8 of it made it through the chip conveyor LOL)

New engraving on some of the WIP I got with the purchase

I'm not just the owner, I'm a user of the products, too! I started the assembly of my crazy shortblock on Sunday. It was my birthday so I decided to dig into some engine work while parts were engraving.

14. Likes e-fishin-c, wheelieking71, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you get thru spindle on that Hurco? I ran a Doosan that I made a lot of engine parts (don’t ask me what they were I have no idea) and we removed mountains of aluminum. That machine had the same basic issues, maybe more so since it was a 40x20 and the table was huge.

On some parts with a lot of material removal, I would program a ghost pass with a thru spindle tool to knock the chips off the table.

This would also work great if you got a thru spindle inserted tool to rough. I personally like small chips, I know some folks don’t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rod vise and stretch gage! I haven't looked at your site yet. Going to have to go look this morning!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny story, Wheelie; ARP stole that thumbhole stretch gauge design. The original owner of CCA designed that years before ARP even offered one. I think ours sell for around $40 sans indicator or like $60-70 with (and the indicators are all chinese units modified with a stronger spring) and ARP charges like $165 LOL. Hell, even CP/Carrillo will sell you a holder and indicator for like $80. Sometimes you just scratch your head. Might be good business there, but everything that isn't a torque plate is Speedio work for sure.

As for TSC this machine wasn't factory prepped so I think that means buying a whole new spindle if I wanted to add it. I did get 4th axis quotes, and the pricing isn't awful but I don't really have the real estate on the table for it and I can't hang it off the edge much without hitting the enclosure. I could always put it on a zero point plate to get it in and out fast, though. Just stick some of the Lang studs into the bottom of the 4th and throw a base plate on the table.

ETA: I LOVE small chips. The worst part of HSM toolpaths is handling those 2" long chips that love to nest together. I am doing most of the roughing with an inserted APKT-ish mill from Sumitomo (and I use Seco in my Sharp) and a corncob rougher. I am going to buy a 1/2" 2" LOC gashed rougher/finisher from Harvey next time I put in an order.
    Last edited by Rick Finsta; 02-26-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: ETA

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, Phase II environmental has been indicated so I'm back at least another month on the shop closing, unless we can get the sellers to agree to an escrow holdback for potential remediation costs and then move the closing up. The bank would likely go along with it but otherwise I do have an option for a cash buy that I'd rather not exercise.

Spent most of today with administrative stuff in Quickbooks to get ready for the sync with the JobBOSS ERP. Every day that goes by the pile of things I need to hand-enter gets bigger.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just got through my second JobBOSS training session and I'm past the sync and everything. A few teething issues but this seems like very capable software for the price (around $140 a month with the QB integration and some other options). It has been quite intuitive for me since I've used so many different systems over the years. Same shit with the buttons in different places.

I only have one purchase order right now, with a handful of quotes out in the world. I'm supposed to be getting into busy season, but I think a lot of folks' attention has turned in the last week. We'll see.

I need to build the small tooling side of the business. I think that is where I can make some really good money.

I'm starting a bigger project right now... might end up learning to use a wire EDM this week. Some tight cylindricity calls on a part that I can EDM the holes then use them for all the fixturing. Would make for great data.

Core drilling for the environmental is happening this Friday. Then we'll know if we can bump the closing back up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing popped in the drilling that raised any eyebrows. PAHs in the fill used (the entire lot is built on fill) will be the biggest potential concern. PCBs in the water will be designated as off-site infiltration from the CERCLA site across the street (this was done for the neighbors about 15 years ago).

Expensive, but it will cover my environmental liabilities on the property in perpetuity.

I spent a lot of time reviewing analytical results from this sort of operation but this was my first time actually seeing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Protohawk Machine

Every day in America, cars and trucks drip tens-of-thousands of gallons of motor oil and other fluids onto the ground...

Every day, railroads drip and lose thousands of gallons of oils and greases...

Mine sites drip and lose thousands of gallons a day...

Accidental spills of oils and chemicals by industry add thousands more gallons every day...

Yet, when a small businessman wants to buy a piece of property, it’s like the world depends on the ground testing “clean enough to eat off of.”

What a country we’ve become...

22. Likes wheelieking71, SND, ducesrwld, shpxnvz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I understand it - "oil" is not considered to be of much concern - likely as it does not mix with ground water.

???

And even fuels - the fix for that seems to simply be to dig it up and stir it up every so often - so's to let it evaporate.

???

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reallity is of course rather complicated - and a large part of what is being addressed here is *liability* *later*.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah this is about liability and cost later on. The bank was initially willing to just give the sellers a survey and call it a day, but the sellers don't have a clue. It was daddy's shop that they were using for storage after his passing. With the knowledge of the neighboring properties, and with my background in this stuff, I couldn't just "let it go." Phase I cost $2000. I also had hearsay from the neighbor that when this was operating as a machine shop the owner was dumping on the property. I don't believe it, but evidently he told the fire department because during Phase I they reported "it had been brought to their attention." I.e., all they had was hearsay as well.

But, that hearsay was enough to cost me $6250 for Phase II plus whatever results.

That does give me some worry that the neighbor is a bit of a busybody, but talking to other previous owners of the property (and one of his tenants, who I've know for decades) it seems that there was some bad blood between them for this and that, and if we leave each other alone we should be fine...

The "best case" is they find nothing, and then it cost me less than $10k to have public documentation that the parcel is clean.

Worst case is around $50-60k in cost for the back-and-forth with the WI DNR for a year or two. The parcel is inexpensive enough that adding that to the mortgage isn't a big deal, and it gets me a clean bill of health afterwards.

Funny enough most of this stuff can just be dug up and sent to landfill with no special paperwork or anything for a few hundred bucks. The big expense is the environmental engineer's time for the plan and correspondence with state authorities.

Either way I'm excited to get into the space ASAP.