Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The new Lathe cometh!

A little into to my new baby

2. Likes slnielsen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been working on both the 20" and 16" axelson today.. Spent a lot of time on the 16 as I need to get the motor turning to test the rest out.... For sure the contactor/starter is having problems and as the case it shot I think a new one is in order... I'm going to see if the starter on the 20 is compatible and maybe buy one of that size for the 16"... We will see...

I have a sad thing going on with a stray cat that showed up 5 days ago... If it lives it will be a new Shop Cat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shop Cat did not make it...

Been working on the 16" Axelson trying to decide if it is repairable.. I think it is We spent three nights repairing the motor leads and trying to figure out the correct wire numbers. Finally found a procedure that worked and I will share that with you soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Progress!

I bought one of the Prime Weld Cut 60's on the advice from George at George's Plasma... So far it sucks at cutting metal thicker than 3/8"

Today that all changed

With the progress today I'm going to build the Mechmate as a plasma table with a water table and see where that gets me

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is the tip/kit that worked only available from George, or is it a standard (if alternate) part?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    Is the tip/kit that worked only available from George, or is it a standard (if alternate) part?
    I would guess you could buy it other places.... The parts are made in Italy instead of China. Here is a link to his ebay store...

PRIMEWELD CUT 60 PLASMA CUTTER 12PC SHIELDED CONSUMABLE STARTER KIT IPT60 TORCH | eBay

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default September Shop Tour....

This Covid stuff has really put a crimp into my running around But lots of stuff to do around the shop

Update on "The Rock" 2020 Chevy HD 2500 problems....

Tour around my wrecked shop... That Axelson 16" is really in the way and moving things to the next location in the shop is being hampered by not knowing if the Axelson is going to live..

New Shop Inspector is in the House! My wife's 10 year old died three weeks ago,, Sure been a rough year on pets

The Barnes Drill Press gets a Bath for the first time in 75 years!

9. Likes DrHook, SND, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's been one of those days! About the only bright spot was finishing the last fabrication job on the new shop fence and gate.....

11. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been busy building a new gate for the shop and house... This part is where I use my Dewalt metal chop saw to start breaking down the metal into parts... IF you are on the fence about this kind of metal saw, this might push you off I love it!

13. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a 12.5" 1800 RPM wormdrive skilsaw made in the 50's. I bought a ferrous blade and milled the skilsaw diamond into the center. I made several hundred cuts through the 2.5" thick double wall 20 gauge metal insulated panels I bought to build my shop with. That blade is still as sharp as the first cut. Burr free beautiful cuts. Cuts through angle and plate like butter too.

I'm actually glad I bought the old saw. It's a tank of a unit. Takes two hands to lift, but I don't feel like I'll die if the blade were to come apart. Has the power to drive that blade through anything. Skil really made some nice stuff back in the day.
    Last edited by Garwood; 10-28-2020 at 08:17 PM.

15. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I bought a 12.5" 1800 RPM wormdrive skilsaw made in the 50's. I bought a ferrous blade and milled the skilsaw diamond into the center. I made several hundred cuts through the 2.5" thick double wall 20 gauge metal insulated panels I bought to build my shop with. That blade is still as sharp as the first cut. Burr free beautiful cuts. Cuts through angle and plate like butter too.

I'm actually glad I bought the old saw. It's a tank of a unit. Takes two hands to lift, but I don't feel like I'll die if the blade were to come apart. Has the power to drive that blade through anything. Skil really made some nice stuff back in the day.

Yes Skill was good.... Just like Craftsman and others that have succumb to the bean counters

17. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry the first part was soooooooo looooong and BORING! I'll try to do better with this one! In part 2 we starting putting the frame together and layout the main crosses.. They are tricky to cut and Don brought out a secret weapon to do so... We also layout the main frame using a laser level to make up for my lack of a 16' long welding table... I try to show all we are doing so there are some real time areas but most of this video Don and I are working at breakneck speed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today I broke out the Hougen HMD905SK mag drill for the first time... It worked great and I am kicking myself not not buying one 35 years ago! Made a nice ladder for the mezzanine with about 45 dollars of material... Please take a look

20. Likes SND liked this post