What's new
What's new

Thane's shop in Illinois

This summer I am going to start to restore a early Werner Uniknick (chassis 6) - Basically a version of a mercedes unimog that was custom fabricated in the early 70's by Werner winch in Trier Germany. I have some pictures at http://www.fridge.com/images/unimog/man/thane.htm The company denies anything to do with the vehicle as it was a bit of a liability for them. I am going to use it to do the sheet metal fabrication for this truck - punching and cutting etc... The pullmax is kind of a cool machine with a lot of versatility so who knows what else????
Regards,
Thane

No, the frame in the foreground of a few of the pics is the one I am putting together. It was a 1968 forestry truck 406 model that I found in Canada about 10 years ago. I took every nut and bolt apart and refinished each piece. I am in the process of putting everything together. The motor and tranny in front of the MAN 8x8 are rebuilt but I have to fabricate a stand heavy enough before painting. The Blue 419 was a US army truck that was let go when the Berlin wall came down. It has a CASE hoe on the back and a Schmidt loader up front. It was one of several surplussed when the US presence in Germany was reduced. The person thaat had it in germany used it for his towing business and painted it blue. Eventually we'll get it bact to the original colors. The UK-52 is - well unusual. It has hydraulic steering and an articulating joint in the center like a steiger tractor.
Regards,
Thane

What are you going to do with that wrecker? It looks like you could haul the space shuttle with it. I mean, Damn! It's as big as a small office building. I would love to see that baby rollin' down the street during rush-hour.

Cool stuff!

I was going to use it to tow the Unimog to Utah once it is finished. My wife and I have wanted to go to Moab for years. Gotta love that german tech!
Thane
BTW anyone in the area is welcome to stop by.

tcody,
I have always been trying to see a unimog vehicle in person, is there any chance for a visit? if so pm me if that is a possibility. They look like really interesting vehicles.
nead

Tcody,
I really appreciate you placing pictures of equipment we could drool all over. and I have a question as well what exactly is the blue "C" frame thing is it a punch or what if it is a punch what kind is it exactly
thannks
archie =) =) =)

Cool Shop, and understanding wife ! ! !
:D :D :D

I like the Super 7 too.

Looks like you need a bigger lathe to make truck part with though.

Best of luck and thaks for sharing

Jan
Norway

I agree with donnie, i became very jealous when i seen the crystal lake grinder. where is the machine out of. I would love to get my hands on one.

Not many seem to know what those CL grinders are. A rather crude looking machine with all the flat belts and vintage appearance. They did at one time offer a work head with 5 millionths spindle run out,the work heads spindle was most likely ground on another Crystal Lake grinder

Back