Tried and True Machine - Page 20
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice colour. I wish our way lube buckets would come in pink, so that when it runs out and I re purpose it for a coolant filling bucket it doesn't grow legs within a few days.

Never for the life of me understood why Haas keeps sticking those low funnels on the chip augers. Would it kill them to extend it a few inches so you can just shove a 55 gallon drum under. Just a pet peeve...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I'm fixed my one of my two complaints about my Lynx.(the other is the debacle that is the coolant tank design for cleaning) The chip conveyor does't fit all that great and allows chips to fall over the side of it into the coolant tank. The sheet metal and the casting don't funnel the chips well enough to the conveyor belt. The finer ali chips build up in piles right under the conveyor in the tank.

So I added some strips of 1/8 aluminum and a flap out of some neoprene I had lying around to guide the chips to the center of the belt.

Should help quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was a good Friday(yesterday)................my little buddy shadowed me most of the day. Lots of whats, whys, and hows..................................we were both tired by the end of the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    It was a good Friday(yesterday)................my little buddy shadowed me most of the day. Lots of whats, whys, and hows..................................we were both tired by the end of the day.

Love to hear there is curiosity! That is a damn fine day!!!!
    One more huge plus of a home based shop!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's awesome, I bet it makes all the hard work worth it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Running some long(for parting off) and kinda expensive parts. No dents, nicks, or dings allowed. Had to make a special parts catcher to handle things. I took a piece of 4" PVC and sliced it the long way in half, made a little bracket from angle iron, and she bolted right on to the arm where the stock catcher bucket was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Made a few soft jaws too. I run out every couple of years.......................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Love to hear there is curiosity! That is a damn fine day!!!!
    One more huge plus of a home based shop!!!!
    I can't imagine that your (davidn's) home-based shop won't have a huge impact on the perspective your kids develop about work and you. Seeing you actually out there, day-in, day-out, making actual, tangible things that get sold to someone and put food on the table. That's got to leave a lasting, important, and good impression on all your kids. I'm envious! My young'ns, while still only babies, will see me head off to work each day and come home with no connection to what I really do or how it may or may not contribute to society or our actual livelihood.

I've got to work harder I think to get closer to where you are at. Well done.

Brent

9. Likes Ox, Perry Harrington, SND, david n, Jashley73 and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Antarctica View Post
    I can't imagine that your (davidn's) home-based shop won't have a huge impact on the perspective your kids develop about work and you. Seeing you actually out there, day-in, day-out, making actual, tangible things that get sold to someone and put food on the table. That's got to leave a lasting, important, and good impression on all your kids. I'm envious! My young'ns, while still only babies, will see me head off to work each day and come home with no connection to what I really do or how it may or may not contribute to society or our actual livelihood.

I've got to work harder I think to get closer to where you are at. Well done.

Brent
    Not to get into the Dear Abby mode, but I had those same thoughts. But daughter wanted to go into medicine, son wasn't interested in shop work or engineering.

The best thoughts are just to be a good father to them all the time. Be there for them, play catch or whatever, just bond as person to person.

When I grew up my father was a house painter. When he got home he was too tired to spend time with the kids. My son's natural father was the same way. Don't bother me kid, I have more important things to do.

Soap box is put away, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave,

Did you go with smooth bore or serrated collets? I am skeptical if the serrations are going to help me any. I am looking into purchasing some 16C collets for my ST-10 and have not used a collet system before. Was curious what other folks experience was. Turnign 316SS ~ 1" Dia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"help you"

What are you skeptical of ???

As a rule - I run serrated's on the mains and smooths on the subs.

Of course rules are meant to be broken from time to time - if for no other reason than to break up the monotony ....
    .. well ... that and to piss off those that wrote the rules in the first place ....

-----------------------

Then came the churches, then came the schools
    Then came the lawyers, then came the rules

13. Likes david n liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went with smooth collets and no problems thus far. I have been doing some pretty heavy hogging on various materials and clamping has not been an issue. But this FlexC system is different than a 16C. I have never used 16C before, but they are just a larger version of 5C and I have had plenty of push back issues using smooth 5C collets in heavy cuts or from tailstock pressure. Serrations fixed those problems. If you are taking light cuts in X, the smooth collets may do just fine. But material like 316 is nice an shiny, nothing to get a good grip on. I'd opt for a serrated. Go to Hardinge's web site. Plenty to chose from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to change the subject but I am just curious what you ended up with as a stick tool center drill holder?

Have any trouble getting coolant right down on it?

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
    Not to change the subject but I am just curious what you ended up with as a stick tool center drill holder?

Have any trouble getting coolant right down on it?

Brent
    Up in post #386 was the part that I was going to need that special holder(sorry. can't show a pic of the part). My Lynx has a drag 'n manual clamp tailstock. So if I left it in place, the quill travel would not allow for end working. The dilemma I had was the finished part is 8" long with a tapered OD the whole length and also bind holes on each end with threads. I was originally going to support it with a center, turn the OD, and then chuck each end for the ID threads(2 more OPS). I just did the ID threads on one end, turned the OD with out a center for support, and cut off. It worked out just fine. I went from 3 OPs to 2.

17. Likes yardbird, dennymcmaster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ugh.......back to work today. Coupla weeks ago the stars aligned........finished up all my big pressing jobs and even the little ones. At the drop of a hat told the 'lil woman to make some reservations and pack up the Burb and 4 kids.......we're headin' West. 9 day road trip. Black Hills, Big Horns, Cheif Joseph Scenic Hwy, Beartooth Pass, Paradise Valley, 'n Bozeman.

Beartooth Lake.......only God can make stuff this purdy. Camped out a few days. Got down to 34° at night.

Kids even found some grizz tracks down by the lake................

Friend's bible camp in Bozeman..................

Back to work.....................

19. Likes DrHook, Ox, swatkins, wheelieking71, J Gilles and 10 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

looks like a great relaxation trip-
    so you probably cruised right through my neighborhood on your way!
    Love the Black Hills- 3 days there this past weekend on the scooter, and I am headed back on Thursday a.m. for some more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good for you! You have certainly earned it.
    Hope it comes around again soon for Ya'll.

22. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We don't need no stinkin' rotary broaching..............I've been doing this part for quite some time. It comes around about once a year. 303SS. Lots of metal to remove. I have to put a .1065 square hole on one end. Back when I first did the job, I was going to rotary broach the hole. But with this lil punch press sittin around, I decided to punch the hole instead.

I can do a hole pile of parts in a few minutes.

And I do it all with none of that fancy safety guarding...............

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah - well _ "pull-backs" can be very nice to have on a "trip dog" press - depending especially on "blank" type work. (as opposed to coil feed)

--------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The boy and I went down to the big city of New Hope the other day to pick some auction items. The shop was owned by a dear friend and mentor who passed away just under two years ago. Sad to see the placed empty.

Struck up a conversation with one of the auctioneers. Talked about how I knew Les(my friend). Met him about 25 yrs ago when I was a real young buck. He was always a phone call away whenever I needed some advice or direction. Helped me get started workin' on my own. Even though I lived 2hrs from him, we'd meet every month or so for lunch or coffee. Talked on the phone at least once a week.The man knew everything, CNC, screwmachines, gear hobbin, progressive dies, injection molds, pneumatics, hydraulics, investments, international business, art, sculptures, paintings, etc. The man gave plenty to tech schools and engineering schools. Korean war vet(the guy was a sniper but of course never spoke much about it). He got to know my family and kids and was always a "grandpa" to them. I really miss the guy.

So the auction guy goes off to get something while I'm getting the truck and trailer loaded up. He comes back with a picture he found and couldn't throw out in all the junk and mess that was Les's office. He said since I was the first guy through there that knew Les well, he'd give me the photo. When he showed it to me, I pertin' near teared up. Man, I miss that guy!!

Les Geotzke around 1969. It's goin' in a frame and will hang on the wall by my desk. The two hr trip would have been worth it if the only thing I was picking up was this photo.