Tried and True Machine - Page 32
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 721
  1. #621
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    992
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    396
    Likes (Received)
    374

    Default

    Nice, but come to the Canadian Selkirks if you want snorkel deep cold smoke skiing...

    Esp this year...

    :-)

    Lucky7

  2. #622
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    25,411
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5668
    Likes (Received)
    8087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
    Nice, but come to the Canadian Selkirks if you want snorkel deep cold smoke skiing...

    Esp this year...

    :-)

    Lucky7
    Are they safe this year?
    I remember a few (several now I guess) years ago when Jim Phelan and his crew got slid down the hill there in a huge avi - about 1/2 mile long I think?


    -------------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  3. #623
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    992
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    396
    Likes (Received)
    374

    Default

    Mountains are never totally safe. Risk assesment is needed in summer as well as other seasons. I'd suggest anyone who's not able for whatever reason to form a full opinion of stability of a snow slope should hire a professional mountain guide (IFMG rated).

    And yes, my experience this year was amazing!

    Best,
    Lucky7

  4. Likes Ox liked this post
  5. #624
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    5,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1875
    Likes (Received)
    5270

    Default

    So, yeah....................this saw is awesome. What the heck was I thinking all these years runnin' the shop without an auto saw?

    Where I placed the saw may not be it's permanent home.......................and needing to move it where I want it, plus all saws are made for folks that are only 5ft tall, I decided to give her some high heels....................





    That gave 'er enough altitude to use the pallet jack to roll it into place.........................



    And start cuttin'.......................................





    ......................................

  6. #625
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    25,411
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5668
    Likes (Received)
    8087

    Default

    I found that the Japs make 4 wheelers that are for 5'6" tall people too. (Warrior)
    Was so glad to get a Polaris where I wasn't eating my knees!


    --------------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  7. Likes david n, wheelieking71 liked this post
  8. #626
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7530
    Likes (Received)
    7610

    Default

    She looks good in heels!

    I also have never understood why saws are built at such a low profile. Must be $$$

  9. #627
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Posts
    3,639
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    418
    Likes (Received)
    1008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    She looks good in heels!

    I also have never understood why saws are built at such a low profile. Must be $$$
    Is it for shipping 2x high in a container?

    Or for putting the saw out back in the shed and lettin' it cut?

  10. #628
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    259
    Likes (Received)
    989

    Default

    When cutting 10" Od its about right, but 1/2" they all seem low.

    Very nice looking saw, my old Hem is jealous..

    Did it come with bundle clamps too? Mine just has an adjustable bar I can lower down and keep things from popping up, poor mans bundle clamp

  11. #629
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    5,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1875
    Likes (Received)
    5270

    Default

    So much of my work is repeat..............not complainin' too much, but it can get monotonous...............................

    It's nice to get to make stuff a little out of the norm................customer needs a few 5/32"Ø 1018 rod bent up. The angle and the length of the legs needed to be right on..........he didn't trust a fab shop doing them so I got to make a small run....................and it will now turn into larger runs o' course.

    My high performance cut-to-length setup........................................looks crude, but hey.....it works.



    Whipped out a little bending jig..........................



    All finished................I can set up a kid to cut, belt sand one end square, bend, and mill the short leg to length in no time.......................




    .....................................

  12. Likes Ox, DrHook, wheelieking71, sfriedberg, Mud and 1 others liked this post
  13. #630
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    25,411
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5668
    Likes (Received)
    8087

    Default

    Especially considering that you doo not have a roller on your move-able section of your bender - it doesn't try to pull stock away from the stop?


    -----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  14. #631
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pillager, MN
    Posts
    5,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1875
    Likes (Received)
    5270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Especially considering that you doo not have a roller on your move-able section of your bender - it doesn't try to pull stock away from the stop?


    -----------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    It pulls it away a bit...........I have made 50 pcs or so and it works perfect............I should send it out and have it case hardened though...............I have a few hundred to make every few months.

  15. Likes DrHook liked this post
  16. #632
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    259
    Likes (Received)
    989

    Default

    Now you need to scour craigslist for an armstrong rod parter like this. Nice square burr free cuts.


    I'd sell you mine but I could never part with it....

  17. Likes david n, wheelieking71, swatkins liked this post
  18. #633
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Machining View Post
    Now you need to scour craigslist for an armstrong rod parter like this. Nice square burr free cuts.


    I'd sell you mine but I could never part with it....
    That thing is really cool. What's the capacity on these things? I cut all kinds of stainless rods for stand offs and whatnot. Can those things handle SS rod?

  19. #634
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    13,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2269
    Likes (Received)
    3526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Machining View Post

    but I could never part with it....
    I see what you did there.

  20. #635
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    259
    Likes (Received)
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arc-On View Post
    That thing is really cool. What's the capacity on these things? I cut all kinds of stainless rods for stand offs and whatnot. Can those things handle SS rod?
    There are different sizes, they make new ones too but pricey. I think mine is a no 5 armstrong and something like 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8. I've cut lots of 1/4" 304ss with mine and 3/8" cold rolled is easy enough. I havent sharpened mine yet but I believe you just pop the two plates out and surface grind them a bit and put it back together.

    It cuts 3/8 rod cleanly enough to slide into a 5c collet in the lathe with no deburring. Very fast cut with the built in stop rod too.

    Here's one in IL
    Marvel #5 rod cutter - tools - by owner - sale

  21. #636
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    25,411
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5668
    Likes (Received)
    8087

    Default

    When you sharpen it - are you taking away from the base unit?
    Or is there some sort of wear bushing on the inside of the halves?


    -----------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

  22. #637
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Machining View Post
    There are different sizes, they make new ones too but pricey. I think mine is a no 5 armstrong and something like 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8. I've cut lots of 1/4" 304ss with mine and 3/8" cold rolled is easy enough. I havent sharpened mine yet but I believe you just pop the two plates out and surface grind them a bit and put it back together.

    It cuts 3/8 rod cleanly enough to slide into a 5c collet in the lathe with no deburring. Very fast cut with the built in stop rod too.

    Here's one in IL
    Marvel #5 rod cutter - tools - by owner - sale
    I contacted the seller, he's not interested in working out a deal that involves shipping. Too bad I'm not closer, I'd be all over that.

  23. #638
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7530
    Likes (Received)
    7610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    My high performance cut-to-length setup........................................looks crude, but hey.....it works.


    That pic makes me smile!

  24. Likes david n liked this post
  25. #639
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    259
    Likes (Received)
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    When you sharpen it - are you taking away from the base unit?
    Or is there some sort of wear bushing on the inside of the halves?
    Hardened Steel inserts in square pockets
    rod-parter.jpg

  26. Likes Perry Harrington liked this post
  27. #640
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    West Unity, Ohio
    Posts
    25,411
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5668
    Likes (Received)
    8087

    Default

    So - when you sharpen it - doo you need to shim it like a progressive die?

    (Sorry Dave)


    --------------------

    Think Snow Eh!
    Ox


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •