Tried and True Machine - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well you have proved that you can take the full width of the tip ,just not any more.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BTDT.

When setting up a new job before calling it a day, I always run off a few parts and get it dialed in. Even if it means staying a half hour late.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ouch, I bet there was a spark show for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chip_maker View Post
    BTDT.

When setting up a new job before calling it a day, I always run off a few parts and get it dialed in. Even if it means staying a half hour late.
    I did that. It's just that the length of stick out from the previous job was still stuck in my head. Oh well. Swapped out holders and already spun up my 125 parts.

5. Likes chip_maker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

oof! I would like to say I have never done that, but I would be lying.

I only have one question: was it squeaky? or crunchy? For some reason the squeaky ones pucker my sphincter a little tighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    oof! I would like to say I have never done that, but I would be lying.

I only have one question: was it squeaky? or crunchy? For some reason the squeaky ones pucker my sphincter a little tighter.

More of a rumble.....................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your machine has too much power. I stalled mine out a few days back with the same kind of error. All it hurt was my pride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally finished with the parts from hell. They started out as 1.375" material weighing a little over 10 lbs. Finished they weigh about 4 lbs. Not fun. All 's are +/-.001 and all runout .003 or less.

The long small sucked. For the life of me I could not get the vibration out while finishing. I tried all different feeds, speeds, DOC, and inserts. Even tried various live centers. No matter what I did, it chatter like crazy. I turn other parts that are similar in to length ratio with no problems. I ended up sending them out for centerless. I was really lucky to have a good grind shop that would take them on. Grinding a part with such a heavy/light end would be challenging, but they got them done. Most grind shops would have traverse ground them on a cylindrical. That would have been expensive.

I had to leave this turned area out so they could get ground at centerless. Finished up turning after they were ground.

Now the long slow process of milling these darn things square. All 90 corners required a 45 chamfer. I ran them in both mills. It's times like this I wish I had a mill with more meat. These Haas don't enjoy chewin' through this much iron.

Half way done!

Aaaaahhhhhh! All done. In the crate. It's Friday. I'm crackin' a brewsky.

10. Likes vmkelley, rich s liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what the heck is it? Gas powered single fluted Noise maker?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    Finally finished with the parts from hell. They started out as 1.375" material weighing a little over 10 lbs. Finished they weigh about 4 lbs. Not fun. All 's are +/-.001 and all runout .003 or less.

The long small sucked. For the life of me I could not get the vibration out while finishing. I tried all different feeds, speeds, DOC, and inserts. Even tried various live centers. No matter what I did, it chatter like crazy. I turn other parts that are similar in to length ratio with no problems. I ended up sending them out for centerless. I was really lucky to have a good grind shop that would take them on. Grinding a part with such a heavy/light end would be challenging, but they got them done. Most grind shops would have traverse ground them on a cylindrical. That would have been expensive.

I had to leave this turned area out so they could get ground at centerless. Finished up turning after they were ground.

Now the long slow process of milling these darn things square. All 90 corners required a 45 chamfer. I ran them in both mills. It's times like this I wish I had a mill with more meat. These Haas don't enjoy chewin' through this much iron.

Half way done!

Aaaaahhhhhh! All done. In the crate. It's Friday. I'm crackin' a brewsky.
    do you have an run out issues after removing that much material on the mill after turning?

13. Likes rich s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And what are you using for milling them? On a VF-2, right? Or just the Minimill?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by allloutmx View Post
    what the heck is it? Gas powered single fluted Noise maker?
    Um....it's a widgit..........actually it's an axle of some type. US Army and Tank Division print from '60s IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    do you have an run out issues after removing that much material on the mill after turning?
    They where pretty straight when all said and done. The same amount of material was removed from all four sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomkinder View Post
    And what are you using for milling them? On a VF-2, right? Or just the Minimill?
    Both mills. Exact same program. The mini was 5 seconds faster on cycle time. Those short travels help sometimes.

I used a 1" inserted endmill. Four inserts. That way it didn't pound too hard. A two insert tool would have been ugly. I need more rigidity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have yet to use the blower, let alone put it on the tractor this winter. Today may be the day. Only supposed to get 6" +/-. I guess that's better than the Northeast. Eat your heart out Russ.

17. Likes csharp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now doesn't that view look much better white?
    It may be time to put the lawn chairs away, just sayin'
    I hate to see a post tomorrow with a picture on one run through the snow blower

I at a wood skid last week with mine. Spit it out nicely.

19. Likes david n, Philabuster, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well now we know you've never lived in Minnesota!

21. Likes david n, csharp, Ox, JP Machining, Philabuster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are still plowing forward. It seems the longer the project goes on, the less pics get taken. What did I miss? Wiring, plumbing, insulation.....we'll fast forward to some rock.

I didn't even meet the guys that hung it. The framing contractor lined it up. They hung the whole house in a day and a half. It was the best hanging job I have seen. Tight joints, plenty of screws, clean work. The mudders loved the hang job.

Shop has lights. 21-8' HOs. Plenty of light with the white interior.(don't let the pic fool you) The base camp moved into the shop(camper). It's odd sleeping in a camper inside a building. But it's warm and no rain(now it's snow).

Lil guy helpin out:

Secondary heat here and some of my EMT cunduit handy work. I have outlets every 10' or so throughout the whole shop. 100k btu unit to get the shop on a dual fuel heat program with the Power Coop.

But here's the house boiler system. The systems are basically the same. Only the shop has one zone. The home has two. They are 19kw sytems(more than enough heat). I went that size because the next smaller boiler was just borderline for the square footage. I got a screamin deal on them because I bought right from the distributor. Easy to install. Everything comes premounted on panels. Just screw to the wall, run juice, hook up the pex, wire the thermostat, fill with glycol/h2o, and fire it up.

Shop boiler system:

23. Likes rich s, SND, allloutmx liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now doesn't that view look much better white?
    I hate to see a post tomorrow with a picture on one run through the snow blower
    It does look much nicer out. It's been brown and dreary for too long. As far as the chairs, you have kids......they never seem to put anything away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomkinder View Post
    Well now we know you've never lived in Minnesota!
    Right on.

We were outside all day on Saturday. Kids played and we had a little bonfire.

26. Likes Atomkinder liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are considering outdoor wood boiler, you should consider a gasification boiler. It requires well seasoned wood but your efficiency is in the low 90% range when coupling the system with how water storage. One of the benefits is you consume much less wood because you are harnessing much more BTUs from the wood using the gassifier. I'm currently designing a system for my house and shop. I'm no expert on the matter but I would be more than happy to explain the benefits and give you some areas to research so you can make the most informed decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    It does look much nicer out. It's been brown and dreary for too long. As far as the chairs, you have kids......they never seem to put anything away.

It's nice to have someone to blame things on eh?

We have one such here. Not worked here full time in a yr and a half (?) and only a few part time days since, but we blame EVERYTHING on him!
    (And I told him that we would for quite some time when he left. )

Those kids will be grown and gone in another 10yrs or so. Got plans for after that?
    Maybe a transient worker, or an exchange stoodent through the church, or ???

NEPHEWS! Their always good for that sorta thing!
    They spent a week here last summer ... musta been them!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

29. Likes rich s, david n, wrustle liked this post