What's new
What's new

turning wheels on work equipment onsite

When I was wrenching on heavy-equipment, we had a crew come in a few times and do some "re-bores" of pivot bushing holes.
It amazed me how much "junk" those guys had packed in two trucks, and how quickly they could rig up to bore holes.
Your pics are exactly the kind of stuff I saw.

Very nice! What brand line bore is in the second pic? My phone is not blowing up the pictures enough to tell.

The "Do Not Hump" sign is to tell the crew not to let the car go flying uninhibited down a hump slope during sorting.

While we're explaining the obvious, anyone care to explain what's going on in photo #2? Some sort of hydraulically powered line-boring assembly bolted to a bogie is it?

Those pictures bring back some memories for me.:D I used to do lots of field work at a previous job. I even made a deal with a co-worker that I would do all of the outside work in the winter time if he would do the summer work. He never realized that I got the better of the deal!;) I could layer my clothes and put up a tarp to keep the rain off. All he could do was sweat! Looks like the boom even got new bosses.:cool: I usually had to bore welded ones!:angry:

It has always amazed me at what an uneducated in engineering field machining hand can cobble together from pieces of angle iron and welding rods right there on the spot to put
a multi million dollar operation back in working order.....take that you ivy league engineers!!!

Nice, I like the Do not hump label on the back of the yellow machine, pretty bad they had to tell guys to stop.
Every

new hand wants to take a pic trying to hump the machine!

Very nice! What brand line bore is in the second pic? My phone is not blowing up the pictures enough to tell.

We build all of own equipment line bore mills and lathes.

The "Do Not Hump" sign is to tell the crew not to let the car go flying uninhibited down a hump slope during sorting.

While we're explaining the obvious, anyone care to explain what's going on in photo #2? Some sort of hydraulically powered line-boring assembly bolted to a bogie is it?

We are reprofileing the wheels to remove the flatspots and bring flanges in spec.

It has always amazed me at what an uneducated in engineering field machining hand can cobble together from pieces of angle iron and welding rods right there on the spot to put
a multi million dollar operation back in working order.....take that you ivy league engineers!!!
Just a dumb machinist here....

Back