Where Oldwrench slaves away - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo83 View Post
    Okay, men need to have some problem solving in their day, but the women. . . Women for some reason can do one simple task all day long and go home happy as a lark. ...

our Secretary did this and only this for three days straight. The guy doing the second operation much similar wanted to quit after a day. . . he eventually quit because he got a big check, "16k" in the mail.
    Some fellas I know (not close to, btw) with a fist full of money would make up an excuse to quit that job & party. "I'm not going to do this for 30 years..." as if they would never seek training or a better job by seniority later.

Ladies I've worked with (skilled/nonskilled, auto biz) would spend that money on their kids & keep the job. Being patient seems to make them good workers o'all, and better able to adjust to changes as workload requires.

Ability and willingness to learn new skills has never favored either gender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alloy Mcgraw View Post
    If he was a girl wouldn't his name on PM be "Oldwench"?

Wench - since you are in Wyoming, it would seem that you could have read between my werds.
    But if you need a map = Pinpoint directions.

Don't git'cher overalls in a wad - pretty sure that we are on the same page.
    Lots of folks I know fit your description. We turned out fine.*

*... well .... shrug

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

3. Likes Alloy Mcgraw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sticks View Post
    Ladies I've worked with (skilled/nonskilled, auto biz) would spend that money on their kids & keep the job. Being patient seems to make them good workers o'all, and better able to adjust to changes as workload requires.

+1 On the learning.

Otherwise, not necessarily 'patient'. Just looks that way.

Usually just better able to prioritize the work against things in their lives that they count as more important (family, etc) - the job being but a means to an end, not the end in itself. Repetitious work is just handed-off to a different part of the brain that doesn't mind that sort of tasking.

Reports on testing to see why and how they do so is still breaking new ground just within the past month or so.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    It is humbling to be the leader of a group like this.
    check your coffee, they might be drugging you

Quote Originally Posted by sticks View Post
    Being patient seems to make them good workers o'all, and better able to adjust to changes as workload requires.

Yes patience is the better descriptive word.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oldwench is my immediate supervisor. She has introduced political correctness to our lexicon. We don't man the phones, we woman the phones. We don't have a parts Manual, we have a Parts Womanual.

And in her own words, she commits sexual hisassment.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

image.jpg
    Looky what i found

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Allout:

Yeah - would have been nice if he would have mentioned this before I tossed out the magazine.

The fact that the staff is almost all women is partly due to an excellent State program offering training for single moms who qualify. There is no machinist training program but we hire graduates of the welding program because they have already learned a mechanical skill and have had training in shop safety. While the program is very well-intentioned, most of the welding jobs available in the oil patch unfortunately involve working outdoors in the cold and the mud and at all hours, which is not a practical occupation for single mothers. They have kids, or course, and get calls from day care, school, etc., which interruptions we can work around but which the oil patch cannot. It is by no means a hiring bias to consider their training, a dexterity generally superior to that of men (which is not a myth) and mostly pleasant attitude, as a much better indicator of success than the applicants we get from the existing "experienced" workforce. Obviously I can't violate confidentiality here, but I never heard from a guy that he was glad of the opportunity to earn 3 times his former wages as a motel maid...or to be associating with a better class of co-workers...or to say he was proud of having got off food stamps. It is humbling to be the leader of a group like this.

... and the fact that the guys tend to somehow end up "sick" the day following a good snow on the other end of the Chief Joseph....

EDIT:

Sorry - mixed up Casper with Cody. My bad.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All woman workforce will work fine, just as long as there is at least 1 man around(Wrench being that man). 100% hens would be disastrous. My wife would argue against the all woman crew. She's had jobs with all women, from boss down to the lowest rung on the ladder. High tension, high stress, low moral, low self esteem work place. From her experience, just one man in the workplace breaks the hen house hell. All the petty bickering, back stabbing, power grabbing, attention getting goes out the window.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by david n View Post
    All woman workforce will work fine, just as long as there is at least 1 man around(Wrench being that man). 100% hens would be disastrous. My wife would argue against the all woman crew. She's had jobs with all women, from boss down to the lowest rung on the ladder. High tension, high stress, low moral, low self esteem work place. From her experience, just one man in the workplace breaks the hen house hell. All the petty bickering, back stabbing, power grabbing, attention getting goes out the window.
    Sounds like my new job...they appear to be men, but they act like clucking hens. 2nd interview later this week for another new job. This isnt working for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to work on a floor that was probably 85-90% women, and there were 85 to 90 of them. It was hell, if you overstayed your lunch break by five minutes your boss knew about it four minutes before you got back, and he heard it from someone that didn't even report to him. You put that many guys in a room and sooner or later there will be a ballgame on the TV and beer in the fridge.

12. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jkilroy View Post
    I used to work on a floor that was probably 85-90% women, and there were 85 to 90 of them. It was hell, if you overstayed your lunch break by five minutes your boss knew about it four minutes before you got back, and he heard it from someone that didn't even report to him. You put that many guys in a room and sooner or later there will be a ballgame on the TV and beer in the fridge.
    Uhhh... paired 'opiate of the masses' in that one. Not sure which is worse.

At least the ratting-out and backstabbing keeps one alert as Hell ....and scouting for a better venue...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually we do have one guy on the staff. My wife jokes that he beneficially dilutes the estrogen-laden atmosphere (probably illegal to think that, let alone write it).

15. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually we do have one guy on the staff. My wife jokes that he beneficially dilutes the estrogen-laden atmosphere (probably illegal to think that, let alone write it).
    From my wife's work experiences, that is completely true.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Machine functional test

Alert: This is not a discussion of the merits of certain offshore equipment, which as we all know is forbidden on at least one PM forum. It's just here because we all at one time or another have got into a jam where we sure could use a spindle with a countersink in it set up in a convenient location to chamfer parts. The alternative in this case was a long-reach back-chamfering op in a turning center using expensive wimpy boring bars. The operators wanted to get rid of that aggravation. As with most spur-of-the-moment brainstorms the options were limited. You just can't order a simple WW2-quality drill press any more. So I went to the bad place whose name cannot be spoken. It would be a waste of time to catalog all the reasons why that was a waste of time, but here is some entirely objective documentation, which I hope you will find amusing enough to let me off the hook for even attempting what seemed at the time like a low-budget and quick solution...

Also there are more plants.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.-imitation-drill-press.jpg   2.-column-clamp.jpg   3.-flat-within-.033.jpg   4.-real-drill-press.jpg  

18. Likes Laurentian, Graham08, Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What, I like the plants. Euro !
    Your shops seems airy and bright, I like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think you can be forgiven for expecting better of that particular maker.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...and quick solution...
    Fair warning. The 1940's vintage Walker-Turners ain't perfect. They need a tune up about every 40 years. Mine was last 'done' in the '70's. Still accurate, but the quill is hinting it is no longer a really close fit, and the merely cleaned-up original early '40's bearings are about due for outright replacement.

22. Likes Laurentian, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sable View Post
    I think you can be forgiven for expecting better of that particular maker.
    Aye. Got a good solid 20 years of use out of one of their miter-box saws bought about 25 years ago.

Most recent three attempts before learnin' better are only still under roof in odd dark corners 'coz I fear the landfill would hit me with HAZMAT fines if I toted them out there..

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the day we used to rig up a lot of equipment. These were all shop-built stations in what was a manual transfer line.
    They processed the castings shown in the background, basically the same parts that are now done by closing the door and pushing the green button in a 5-axis VMC. The first one is a dual-carriage Atlas lathe with a left/right lead screw, originally a rotogravure plate-engraving machine, which we made into a double-ended horizontal boring mill with a couple of homegrown heads (spindle bearings were the 3/4 ton Ford truck units still used today in stock cars, because we had lots of 'em) with 5C collets holding homemade multitool heads. Tools were 3/8 half-round carbide. It used a series of microswitches to bore in, feed back out, and stop.

The next operation held the part by the first set of bores, and both bored and faced using big inserted HSS tools. This one was hydraulic and had begun life as a geared-down boring mill for coal-furnace wheels. You needed to keep everything dead sharp and stand the hell out of the plane of rotation because the castings were magnesium and you could hit a grain of sand and get lit up.

After that came a series of old-time drill jigs, one of which was used with this homemade 3-spindle drill and tap station. I used a Gilmer belt and idlers driving Jacobs rubberflex collets. Worked pretty well because there was no backlash, sort of a poor man's Rigid Tap.

The floor-to-floor record time to complete a casting with this system was 23 minutes, which doesn't count all the constant cleanup of mag chips. Haas time for essentially the same part is 23 minutes but the part is better quality by an order of magnitude and you can do something else while it runs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.-ist-op-homemade-boring-machine.jpg   2.-2nd-op-homemade-boring-machine.jpg   3.-2nd-op-process.jpg   4.-homemade-drill-heads.jpg  

25. Likes thermite, sable, Jashley73, Laurentian, Peter S liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
    Oldwrench (Tony?),

Thanks for sharing the link, and more pictures. I didn't realize you were on here. I am a small, but very satisfied customer of yours. After reading your catalog, I knew there was a lot of thought and technology that went into your stuff, and this only confirms it.

Here's a pic of one of your racks, U-joints, etc. on the front of my pavement sprint car project...Graham
    Graham's race car is shown in post #21 and is a perfect example of the one thing that keeps me from getting jaded: the opportunity to supply parts to talented and creative people.

27. Likes thermite, Graham08, new_guy liked this post