M&W depth Mic.

• Thread starter Luke.kerbey
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1,827
L

Luke.kerbey

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Moore and Wright 0-300mm depth micrometer. Not in too bad shape for the price. I have however noticed that the barrel runs eccentric to the body, it’s just enough for one side of the barrel to touch the body when revolving.

Is this somthing I can correct or will I end up making it worse?

Any advice or previous experience would be appreciated 👍🏼

I don't have an M&W mic so I'm going by other designs I do have. Thimbles are often seated on a taper at the end of the screw. You might just remove the screw and thimble, clean things up and reassemble to see what you've got.

And I suppose if cleaning hasn't fixed it and you do the shade tree mechanic version of mic repair, just shim the correct side with with a handy short hair.

Yer, it’s pretty much that design from what I see, thanks for the input

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Moore and Wright 0-300mm depth micrometer. Not in too bad shape for the price. I have however noticed that the barrel runs eccentric to the body, it’s just enough for one side of the barrel to touch the body when revolving.

Is this somthing I can correct or will I end up making it worse?

Any advice or previous experience would be appreciated 👍🏼

Luke, find the high side, and give it a small tap with a small brass hammer.

Yer, I’d rather not egg the thinwall thimble. Thanks for the advice though

I understand your thought. When i learned this at a calibration class, i was shocked. But i am a believer - after hundreds of times doing it, i have never once egged a barrel. BUT, i do understand your position.:D

I'd be inclined to believe this would work. First, the clearance between thimble and barrel is small so there can't be much deformation before movement stops. Second, if the opposite side isn's supported you'd not be squeezing the thimble anyway.

But that's not experience speaking, just thinking about what actually happens when it's tapped.

Back