Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .050r max

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    Again, I assume you were dealing with them in a different capacity.
    Otherwise though, they are all the same!
    The makers are referred to either as "Blacksmiths" or "Shop Idiots".

Sidenote: "Shop Idiot" is the preferred term nowadays since most of the current "Engineers" couldn't spell Blacksmith, let alone knowing what they do!
    I worked as QA engineer in the power plant industry for over 6 years.

I've aslo worked as quality engineer on the F-16 (heat exchangers) when Denmark (and Norway and Holland) bought them. Have been to Hamilton Standard (CT) a few times. Flew in the company (United Technologies) Boeing several times. Maybe typical but I remember there were 3 "cafeteria" at the company. One for the peasants (ahem workers), one for the engineers and staff, and then the restaurant for "those that mattered". Was in the latter a couple of times and meals were ordered from a menu and served. Has anything changed?

Several of my customers are in the aerospace industry and in several countries. I've never had a problem if I ask a question and I've always answered any question asked. Assuming I could.

When I read your "Sidenote: "Shop Idiot" is the preferred term nowadays since most of the current "Engineers" couldn't spell Blacksmith, let alone knowing what they do!" then I get the feeling your getting back what you dish out.

Most of your posts directed at me I'd classify as "confrontational". If there are many like you then I can understand why there isn't much cooperation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Several of my customers are in the aerospace industry and in several countries. I've never had a problem if I ask a question

Gordon, can you please describe the procedure you're following when asking a question about an RFQ from UTAS ( Now Collins), Boeing, Sikorsky ( now LMA), P&W or Airbus?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I get the feeling your getting back what you dish out.

Most of your posts directed at me I'd classify as "confrontational". If there are many like you then I can understand why there isn't much cooperation.
    Your feeling set aside, me (us) being a 3rd and lower tier supplier, personality ( or lack thereof ) has no bearing on the currently discussed subject:
    A definition of "R.05-Max" means it should not be asked because it will not be answered! ( at least not how you may think it should be )

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    1. Gordon, can you please describe the procedure you're following when asking a question about an RFQ from UTAS ( Now Collins), Boeing, Sikorsky ( now LMA), P&W or Airbus?

2. Your feeling set aside, me (us) being a 3rd and lower tier supplier, personality ( or lack thereof ) has no bearing on the currently discussed subject:
    A definition of "R.05-Max" means it should not be asked because it will not be answered! ( at least not how you may think it should be )
    ad 1. I do not reply directly to those you list. I supply to their suppliers. If I see something I disagree with or don't understand I explain why and give a reason. Often I give advice as to what I suggest. Remember that what I make and sell is almost always about threads and tolerances. I don't make things to their drawings. I make and sell things for measuring their threads. I've never been told that it's none of my business. Usually thanked in fact.

ad 2. If I saw "R.05-Max" on a drawing I'd make it with a radius less than 0.05" but still a radius. If I wanted theoretical problems to ponder I'd have joined the clergy.

4. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a follow up to my post #43 then I can give an example of what I mean re ad.1.

If I get an order or RFQ for wanting to measure a thread (i.e. M30x1 or UN 3-12 to name just 2 examples) then my first question is "external or internal?". I'll also ask if there are other pitches to be measured.

I'm assuming the reason for those questions are obvious to PM members but if not ask and I'll explain.

There are of course many that specify a thread tolerance and in my email to them I always mention that, when measuring, all pitch diameter tolerances can be measured with the same thread inserts.

I'm pretty sure that as good as all customers and potential customers realize that because of the questions I ask that I know what I sell and do so to help.

One customer was so pleased he recommended me on his website! I even got a pat on the back from another customer in PM.

Something that worked for a change!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Technically, no radius at all would be acceptable. If you're talking about a machined fillet radius, that is, of course, impossible.