What's new
What's new

1.1 inch gage pin source

PegroProX440

Hot Rolled
Hello, I am having trouble finding gauge pins over 1 inch diameter. Is there a source for them. Everything I am finding over 1 inch seems to have a plastic handle thingy on them and just the pin at the end. Im looking for just a normal pin. They don't have to be the super high end accurate ones, I'm measuring aluminum.

You can make yourself or have one made (gauge house or a grind house can make to your needs.)

Larger holes normally do not work well with gauge pins as they are more likely to get the pin stuck in the hole
due to cocking, galling or part shrinkage.

The usual method for larger holes is a bore gauge or hole micrometer as they don't have the problems listed above.

I will be using it to size half a hole. I will most likely make one but It would be cheaper to just buy one. I can only turn it to size, I don't have any way to grind it. MSC has 1.00 for like 13 bucks and i was hoping to keep it on the cheap. Oh well, i guess that's why we are called toolmakers.

What tolerance?

Alternatively, if you're designing both parts, can you make it 28mm? You can buy a 28mm ground rod very inexpensively. With g6 rod, you'll only be 1.6 to 2.1 thou over.

Pegro . . ., If you're using a pin to gage half a hole, you might consider a radius gage?

With a 1.1" pin sitting in "half a hole" you won't be constrained as in normal sizing. So tolerance checking, straightness, all that not so easy. In addition, with a full pin length it will be hard to even see if there's light showing an oversize or undersize condition. Best you could do with it (and that might be pretty good) is blue it up and look for contact.

With the radius gage you could at least hold it up to the light (like a knife edge) and see if you're close. What it won't tell you is straightness.

How's this half-hole made (round-end mill?? drilled, then cut in half??) What sort of tolerances are you looking to hold?

Didn't mean to over complicate this. We have a few blow molds to make with a steel insert at one end. It needs to fit the aluminum mold, not super high accuracy stuff, i just want to be able to finish the radius now and not have to fit it to the insert that goes into it. I am cutting it from parting line with a ball end mill looking at the concave part of the radius. Im sure drill rod will be fine, thank you.

Back