What's new
What's new

3D Scanner Recommendation for Molded Parts and Tubes with Holes

dksoba

Hot Rolled
Can anyone recommend a 3D scanner for part to CAD comparison for molded parts that usually fit inside a 1 foot cube and some small 1" diameter tubes, 18 inches long, with 1/4" holes drilled at various angles and slots also machined in them? I just want to be able to set up for our quality department the capability to quickly compare molded parts and these tubes to CAD data. Accuracy of +/- 0.002" would be sufficient.

In the future, we may want to measure small machined parts, about the size of a watch, but to tighter tolerances. What we'd like to do is compare to CAD for missing features, but things like threads and precision diameters would be checked with gages, mics, etc.

If anyone with experience in this area point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt

To be clear, my experience is with scanning as-built construction, hardware and moulding profiles with two different scanners, and using Geomagic DesignX for conversion of the data to make woodwork components, so although parallel to your needs, not the same delviverables. I have a medium range (25 metre) terrestrial laser scanner, and a hand held structured light scanner with 15" x 15" field of view. To be clear, neither would do what you need.

I would check out Creaform, probably their Handyscan Black and/or Handyscan Black Elite. I don't know if Creaform's VX elements will get you where you need to be in terms of software - I would assume that you'd probably need Geomagic ControlX or similar to do resonably fast feature verification. I have an earlier Creaform hand scanner - a GoScan50, which I am very happy with. I drool over the specs of the Handyscan Black, although it comes at a price. Additionally, I can't say enough good things about the support I get from Rapid3D in Calgary AB, Canada.

Hope this helps.
Martin

Can anyone recommend a 3D scanner for part to CAD comparison for molded parts that usually fit inside a 1 foot cube and some small 1" diameter tubes, 18 inches long, with 1/4" holes drilled at various angles and slots also machined in them? I just want to be able to set up for our quality department the capability to quickly compare molded parts and these tubes to CAD data. Accuracy of +/- 0.002" would be sufficient.

In the future, we may want to measure small machined parts, about the size of a watch, but to tighter tolerances. What we'd like to do is compare to CAD for missing features, but things like threads and precision diameters would be checked with gages, mics, etc.

If anyone with experience in this area point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt

I would recommend a portable measuring arm with PC-DMIS or PowerInspect for software.
Hexagon has a specific attachment to check tubes.

When it comes to tolerance, that's tight. If you follow 10X rule, you will have hard time finding machine that's accurate enough.

Back