What's new
What's new

Advantages/disadvantages of cast iron surface plate vs. granite

Spud

Diamond
What are the reason to go for a cast iron surface plate over a granite one?

The Tesa, Starret and Mitutoyo digital height gauges at my tech school are on a granite plate. I don't think I have even seen a cast iron surface plate there.

I have a roll around CI one that I use for more of an "out in the shop" plate.

It's pretty tough, like a machine table would be. Also probably no more flat than your average machine table.

Cast iron pros: cheaper, magnetic, lighter weight, tappable, impact shock resistant.
Cast iron cons: magnetic, corrosion risk, thermal changes.

Granite pros: wear resistant, stable in wider temperature range.
Granite cons: heavy, more expensive.

To the cast iron cons you should add:
More likely to need tune up in the avg. shop than granite plates.

That echoes the hide glue argument on musical instruments. Pro: Heat and moisture make it reversible facilitating repairs. Con: If the glue didn't fail so often you wouldn't need as many repairs.

The smaller granite plates seem to become pavers (junk) when they get out of spec. While the larger ones are worth having resurfaced. Smaller cast iron plates are economical to resurface, while the larger ones take so long that it's hard to put a price on the task.

Granite necessitates having pro's come to your shop to service them but you get certifiable work. Some guys do it themselves but IMO these cases seem to raise a red flag over the accuracy of the job. Iron's the opposite. I've yet to find a metrology lab that scrapes. They'll certify iron but only in the ways they do granite (CMM, repeatometer, autocoluminator, etc.), not by printing. Conversely, if you have a plate that was hand scraped by "Joe" to 40 PPI, by-golly that's a priceless piece of gauging equipment there.

They all have their place.

Back