What's new
What's new

Amazing book: handbook of dimensionl measurement by Francis Farago

Vintshave

Plastic
Check out this great book. It was first published in 1968. It presents both practice and theory is an accessible way and shows a lot of the cool machinery of the time.

I don't know the book so I can't comment. Books that are IMO truly informative are revised and updated periodically. Maybe that happens to that one. Otherwise I can imagine it'd be like the 40 year old 20 volume encyclopaedia I have. Useful for some things but useless for others.

It is surprising how recent the digital world is. I remember someone (not me - I was slower) buying a digital camera about 15 or so years ago and was really proud of the fact that it could take almost 1 million pixels. The digital camera I bought a few months ago (14MP) can take both pictures at 1cm distance and also be used under water at a depth of 30 feet plus functions I haven't even tried to use yet.

Sorry if any think I dragged the thread too far off track.

Not at all Gordon. Certainly the book is dated. The pictures themselves are pretty cool. And it does use the tools of the day, but it's really good at explaining principles of measurement. I found it really, really informative and it helps in identifying equipment I have. Most people live and die without having heard the word "metrology" and understanding how vital it is in their daily lives. While its by no means easy reading, it does make the basics more accessible to someone like me. Favorite non-electric tool: the sine block ;-)

Books that are IMO truly informative are revised and updated periodically. Maybe that happens to that one. Otherwise I can imagine it'd be like the 40 year old 20 volume encyclopaedia I have.

I looked up the book and it is on the 5th edition, coauthored by Mark Curtis (or as it appears, is coauthored by Francis Farago?).

It was rev'ed up in 2013. However, the quality of, and the breadth and depth of the update is unknown to me.

Back