What's new
What's new

Any Faro Edge experts? : Measuring small slots

Dcashdollar

Plastic
We have a customer at work requiring an inspection for a few prototype plates.
The plates have slots measuring .032 in a wound pattern. The customer is requiring each slot be within .002 of CAD location.
We purchased a Faro Edge arm with a laser scanner thinking it would measure these slots. The problem is the laser doesn't quite get into the slots to measure them. We have multiple size ball probes and a few probes we have made in house.
Are there any users experienced with a Faro Edge arm that has an opinion on how to measure these slots and get consistent readings?

Here is a link to a photo
http://s10.postimg.org/3xmw5nwp5/20160322_152402.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you're going to get within .002'' using a Faro Arm. Wrong tool for the job IMO. Might be able to do it with a CMM. Or optical comparator?

Yeah i think if you read the tolerance spec for the faro arm its already blown it on that part!

I know the slots aren't going to measure the .002 tolerance. The customer is checking the locations with a piece of transfer paper. We just need a way to get some consistent readings on the slots. We have tried making the slots smaller in the CAD file and making the probe smaller to get a center line but that gives varying results.
Just trying to get some type of reading on the locations.

measument specification

The plates have slots measuring .032 in a wound pattern. The customer is requiring each slot be within .002 of CAD location.
We purchased a Faro Edge arm with a laser scanner thinking it would measure these slots. The problem is the laser doesn't quite get into the slots to measure them. We have multiple size ball probes and a few probes we have made in house.
Are there any users experienced with a Faro Edge arm that has an opinion on how to measure these slots and get consistent readings?

I wouldn't accept the job with that inspection requirement because it is not a limited
requirement. There needs to be more of a definition to the requirement. For example; how
many sample points are you going to use to qualify the part - that needs to be defined.
As defined it requires an infinite number of measurement points.

When you say .032" slots, are you talking about the width of the slot? It looks like your
part was cut using a wire EDM, or maybe electron beam. It looks like a start hole in the center.

What is the size of the part? Explain the part and the slots further so we can better understand
the problem.

Regards,

Paul Hoffman

After looking at the photo I'm now desperate with curiosity as to what the part does. Any chance of a hint? Don't piss off your customer, though - are they OK with a picture being out in the wild?

And this might be a good job for an optical comparator with a precision mask, or a scanner-type setup using a hall effect edge detector and a CMM. I agree that a Faro's not a good choice here.

Just wondering what size arm do you have and which laser? V4 or the Newer blue light unit? Software? Did you try talking to Faro about this? Curious to see what they would have to say.

Back