What's new
What's new

Best order and method for recalibrating tool and part probes

KurtV

Plastic
I have taken over a Mazak VCN510c with renishaw probing. It has had the tool probe removed several times a year to do a part that takes up the majority of the table. The part probe has also not been calibrated in years. I plan on “permanently”mounting a piece using the bolts on the side of the table to easily be able to recalibrat the part probe. So my questions are as follows.

1. What is the best order for recalibrating the machine, as in tool or parts probe because I will have to machine the piece to calibrate the part probe?

2. I will still need to remove the tool probe a couple times a year, is there a quicker method to putting it back than eyeballing it close then doing a full calibration?

3. After recalibrating everything will I have to go through and reteach all the tool lengths to keep everything lined up?

I have a dedicated tool holder with a 1/2” carbide end mill shank sticking out to a known length. I use it to calibrate the tool setter. As long as it’s kept clean and doesn’t get dropped, your tool length offsets shouldn’t change when moving the tool setter. Mari tool makes a one piece tool for doing just that, but I figured a used 1/2” end mill shank in an old tool holder would work just as well as long as it didn’t have a problem with runout

Almost forgot. For calibrating the probe, I use a 1” ID test ring that came with my inside micrometer set. Clamp it down flat on the table and calibrate the diameter, then go over to the tool setter and calibrate the length

Back