What's new
What's new

Best way to gage a .1865 hole within a few tenths

Gobo

Titanium
Hole diameter .1865 plus .0005, minus 0. The part is basically an 1/8 inch thick washer with a hole in the center. Will be making 1 to 2 thousand a month and need to be able to gage it quickly on the shop floor. Would an air gage be appropriate?

At work I use Deltronics pin gauges they have sets 25 pin on size - .0012 to +.0012 by tenths they are great use them enough to wear on them then they start easier
I would highly recommend final sizing by ball broaching very high quality finish
Ball tech makes them

For that thin of a part I would think pins would be the best choice.
As mentioned, Detronics makes pins in .0001 increments.

A bore gage in a .1865" hole in a .125" thick washer 1000-2000 times a month? I would think that would be kind of a nightmare. I also think trying to use an air gage would be an expensive nightmare. My vote would be for pins. Get a .1865" plus tolerance pin and a .1870" minus tolerance pin. Should take less than 10 seconds per part. With that many parts wear on the pins might be an issue but if you keep a close check on wear you should be ok.
I'm assuming you are going to make these in a lathe and part them off. Is that correct? If so, and with tolerances that tight I would still use the pins for the final check after they have been parted off and deburred.

I'm assuming you are going to make these in a lathe and part them off. Is that correct? If so, and with tolerances that tight I would still use the pins for the final check after they have been parted off and deburred.

You are correct with the process. Another question- a .1865 diameter pin will not go in a .1865 diameter hole. There has to be clearance to fit. With that in mind, what size would the go-pin have to be for aforementioned size and tolerance?

At work I use Deltronics pin gauges they have sets 25 pin on size - .0012 to +.0012 by tenths they are great use them enough to wear on them then they start easier
I would highly recommend final sizing by ball broaching very high quality finish
Ball tech makes them
I just looked at a Deltronics set. Pretty nice. And reasonable on the price.

You are correct with the process. Another question- a .1865 diameter pin will not go in a .1865 diameter hole. There has to be clearance to fit. With that in mind, what size would the go-pin have to be for aforementioned size and tolerance?
Depends on the gage pins. Deltronic .0001" class X gage pins are all + tolerance pins. So a .1865" pin can be anywhere between .18650 to .18654.

Your biggest issue may be edge prep and ensuring no nicks or burrs influence the measurement of the holes. If you're doing these on a lathe, use a back chamfering tool to break (what will be) the inside edge, then ream or burnish, then complete cutoff.

You honestly need to take what up with your customer and see what their expectations are. You could easily get into a pissing match about that. Try to get him to check the parts with the same pins as well, and offer to buy him the pins to boot. That way you'll all be on the same page. (Small price to pay for the quanity that you're talking about, and insurace as well.)

I'm thinking your cutoff burr might be your biggest issue on this job. You may consider a profile bore to break the back edge before cutting it off, as to leave the burr on the washer face instead of the ID.

Hole diameter .1865 plus .0005, minus 0. The part is basically an 1/8 inch thick washer with a hole in the center. Will be making 1 to 2 thousand a month and need to be able to gage it quickly on the shop floor. Would an air gage be appropriate?

holes to that fine a tolerance are rarely perfectly round and straight cylindrical. usually it is assumed a hole size is based on a clean pin gage going in hole. even a oily pin gage wont go in a tight hole cause oil got thickness
just saying you can measure a hole to a size and yet a pin gage might not go in hole especially the deeper the hole as pin gage will get hung up on a out of round hole and hole not straight
usually gd&t tolerances are based on ability to assemble. make hole to .00001" and if you cannot assemble with its mating part what good is that?? might want to ask if it assembles with another part and if ok to use a go and no go pin gage.
obviously many a part when unchucked the hole goes out of round. need to measure hole unchucked. some parts the male part is slightly out of round and the female part slightly out of round and even assembled if part is rotated the out of round can lock the parts tight where cannot disassemble.
might want to talk to customer on what they expect

if you spend $10,000 on measuring gages and customer cannot get a simple pin gage in hole when thats what they want you might feel kind of silly going for the theoretical when customer ultimately wants and expects a pin gage to go in by hand and customer will just use a simple go, no go pin gage
almost always better to talk to customer on what the customer expects and wants. it wouldnt be the first time a shop makes a hole .0002" bigger than spec so the customer gets the part that they want or assembles the way they want

Back