What's new
What's new

Books on metrology

LP08SS

Plastic
Hey guys as the title suggests I'm looking for some suggestions on good books on metrology, nothing too specific more of a general over view and best practices type of deal! Thanks!

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

A more specific topic of metrology, but an excellent book:

Optical Tooling by Philip Kissam

Hey guys as the title suggests I'm looking for some suggestions on good books on metrology, nothing too specific more of a general over view and best practices type of deal! Thanks!

It'd help if you were more specific plus info on what you'd be wanting to learn more about and why.

The biggest problem with "best practice" is that especially within electronics things develop fast.

IMO the internet would be your best bet when you know what you are looking for. You can probably print what you find handy and/or useful.

Metrology - Wikipedia

It'd help if you were more specific plus info on what you'd be wanting to learn more about and why.

The biggest problem with "best practice" is that especially within electronics things develop fast.

IMO the internet would be your best bet when you know what you are looking for. You can probably print what you find handy and/or useful.

Metrology - Wikipedia
Hmm ok well, the only reason Im being general is because I honestly don't know what I should be looking into. I will explain my situation and my Logic and maybe you can shed light from there. So far I've got ten years of experience in cnc machining primarily lathe, the technical school I went to was machining basics and basic measuring skills, proper handling and use of mics and calipers etc. other than that we barely even learned about run out other than trueing something up in a 4 jaw chuck. So now I have access to a optical comparator which I've learned some things about along the way but not much. I tried learning from our inspection guys but quite frankly the one has just no interest in teaching and I would usually but heads with the other because he likes to talk down to people and I don't tolerate that kind of stuff. So there always seems to be a rift between how I measure things and how inspection measures things and even the way my foreman would measure something. So my logic is if I can somehow teach myself the standards and practices of a quality control inspector and maybe I'd have an easier time dealing with them and have more of a civilized conversation with them and not just being a deer in headlights. Not to mention as a machinist I feel I should have a deeper understanding of it than I do! Hope this helps a bit

Hmm ok well, the only reason Im being general is because I honestly don't know what I should be looking into. I will explain my situation and my Logic and maybe you can shed light from there. So far I've got ten years of experience in cnc machining primarily lathe, the technical school I went to was machining basics and basic measuring skills, proper handling and use of mics and calipers etc. other than that we barely even learned about run out other than trueing something up in a 4 jaw chuck. So now I have access to a optical comparator which I've learned some things about along the way but not much. I tried learning from our inspection guys but quite frankly the one has just no interest in teaching and I would usually but heads with the other because he likes to talk down to people and I don't tolerate that kind of stuff. So there always seems to be a rift between how I measure things and how inspection measures things and even the way my foreman would measure something. So my logic is if I can somehow teach myself the standards and practices of a quality control inspector and maybe I'd have an easier time dealing with them and have more of a civilized conversation with them and not just being a deer in headlights. Not to mention as a machinist I feel I should have a deeper understanding of it than I do! Hope this helps a bit

Not sure if what you are looking for can be read. Let's assume your foreman and inspector know what they are doing why not just watch and learn instead of "butting heads". From that I get the impression you want to discuss and try things your way. Nothing wrong with that except "fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

I've worked with optical comparators for years and they are all (to me at least) pretty straight forward. How a discussion could evolve on how to use one is beyond me.

Not sure if what you are looking for can be read. Let's assume your foreman and inspector know what they are doing why not just watch and learn instead of "butting heads". From that I get the impression you want to discuss and try things your way. Nothing wrong with that except "fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

I've worked with optical comparators for years and they are all (to me at least) pretty straight forward. How a discussion could evolve on how to use one is beyond me.
No, it's actually quite the opposite, im rather cautious and in being so I end up asking questions (maybe even too many) because I like to have a thorough understanding of something before going on my Own way. As for just watching and not "butting heads" I wish we could because he is a wealth of knowledge that I would love to learn from but we just do not get along it's as easy as that. I guess I wasn't blessed to have a charming personality such as yours that everyone loves! But thanks for your input I appreciate it!

Well there’s measuring and methods of measuring… It’s mostly a learned thing, how-to in the head and this-way with the hands.

For the figuring out how, the WAJ Chapman, Senior Workshop Calculations book has a chapter on measurement and gaging that has a blizzard of ways to go at given measuring challenges. (attaching an odd but cool one)

Then there’s a very good book from DoAll named “The Science of Precision Measurement”. It’s about non-existent in the wild but a NEW, Reprinted from edition copy is available here for 18 bucks. (cover attached, I couldn’t find an image with google-foo)→ Science Precision Measurement - AbeBooks
That little jewel explains how to use gage block & optical flats to measure dimension values in light bands (since 1 light band = 11.6 millionths of an inch and a human can resolve to 1/10 band, it’s a little out of the range of an average CMM).

Then there is likely some free stuff for care & handling of tools like from Starrett (& surely others). (Covers attached)

Good luck,
Matt

Attachments

• Measure_Bore_PointGage_p28.jpg
    Measure_Bore_PointGage_p28.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Measure_Bore_PointGage_p29.jpg
    Measure_Bore_PointGage_p29.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 170
  • Measure_Bore_PointGage_p30.jpg
    Measure_Bore_PointGage_p30.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 143
  • DoAll_Measure_Cover.jpg
    DoAll_Measure_Cover.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 162
  • Starrett_Measure_Covers.jpg
    Starrett_Measure_Covers.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 171
No, it's actually quite the opposite, im rather cautious and in being so I end up asking questions (maybe even too many) because I like to have a thorough understanding of something before going on my Own way. As for just watching and not "butting heads" I wish we could because he is a wealth of knowledge that I would love to learn from but we just do not get along it's as easy as that. I guess I wasn't blessed to have a charming personality such as yours that everyone loves! But thanks for your input I appreciate it!

With your "I guess I wasn't blessed to have a charming personality such as yours that everyone loves!" I'd be hesitant about helping you if that's your idea as to learning.

If you learned from someone that you believe knows what he's doing why would you be "going on my Own way"?

Maybe thanks to my "charming personality" I've never had a problem with people giving me advice or me them.

Book learning is good but it doesn't beat "hands on" as far as practicality goes.

MIL-STD-120 is somewhat dated but a good reference (and learning) source. I would prefer that you get a hard copy if possible. Sometime within the last two or three years I downloaded a PDF but the illustrations are not as crisp as they should be.

No books are going to get you out and most people using stuff in the optical compartor world will give you bad advice.
Gauging MSA.
The other and easier side of life in a bigger company is "we have done it this way forever" and go with the flow even if it seems wrong.
Bob

There is a fair amount in Machinery’s Handbook.

Back