What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe 1025 gage amplifier - refurb data and manual request

JP8

Plastic
Hi I’ve refurbished an old Brown & Sharpe 1025 (599-1025) gage amplifier:

- Used a 7.5 volt 1A power supply to replace the missing stock wall wart. The stock supply is order # 99-1200-20, model # AD-071A, center positive, and puts out 7.5Volts at 1 amp.

- Removed and replaced the 4 electrolytic power supply caps. These are 1200 uF caps with a 63 volt rating. The diameter x height is 22 x 25mm for a good fit on the PCB. I used Nichicon GU caps. They probably didn’t need to be replaced but the tops of the old caps had a slight convex bulge which is never a good thing.

- Replaced the 6V NiCad battery pack with a 2500mA 5 x 2/3A Ni-Mh RC rechargeable battery pack. The cells have a different orientation than the original pack (transverse rather than longitudinal), but the overall size of the pack is exactly the same as the original. Used small zip ties to lock it into the battery holder. Also bought a set of Tamiya connector plugs to wire the battery to the original connector.

Have posted this in case another Practical Machinist forum member might find this info useful. Sending thanks to members who have posted info about this unit in the past.

Am missing a manual for this unit – does anyone have a PDF they could kindly share with me?

Many thanks,
JP8.

Hi Opscimc,
Thank you!

For other readers - Correction: the original battery pack was 4.8V (4x 1.2V NiCads); not 6V.

best,
JP8

Any possibility of sharing the pdf manual again?

Sorry I already got a PDF Thanks.

Last edited:
Any way to share that manual? Haven't had much success at finding one any other way so far. Thank you in advance!

Thanks for posting your experience. I just purchased same 599-1025 unit from Ebay - cheap and dead on arrival. No charger and no batteries. Looks like the resistors near the power supply plug got hot (turned dark). When I hook 5vdc power supply up, nothing happens and I read 2.5vdc at the battery connection terminals.

Manual from your thread says: "IMPORTANT - The charger must NEVER be connected with the battery disconnected from the circuit boards."
I suspect it was. I could hook the 5vdc wall wart directly to battery terminals on the board. Any advice?

Back