What's new
What's new

brown and sharpe microval power supply pinout

dibloff

Plastic
Hey folks. Cross posting to a new thread.
I’ve purchased a B&S microval recently for a good price. it came without a computer, and probe. I’m in a process of re-hosing the machine. all the old spaghetti-like hoses just flaked out of the machine when I opened it. I think I’ll need to remove the air bearings too, cause getting to those lines is a nightmare without doing so. The plan is that I’ll mark each bolt and nut with ink, to make sure they go back to their corresponding places and number of turns.
I got a computer yesterday – thanks to finding a great guy on a forum like this. all the cable terminals fit as they should. It did not come with a power supply though. it’s a B&S180-22-6 model, and it clearly says on the back sticker that use only 80-405-312 power supply with it. it’s 5V and 12V power supply. I scanned eBay and google could not find any. I think I could use a standard PC power supply, but I would need a pinout for that. the socket is a 5 pin old school stereo (DIN) port. I searched on the hexagon site, with no avail. If someone has this PS can you please measure the voltages on the pins. If you have a pinout diagram and can share it I would really appreciate it.
Lastly. I don’t have a probe for it. I’ve looked and the microval machines were equipped with Renishaw TP1S, MIP, PH9A, TP1 and TP-ES probes. Not sure what the difference between these are. eBay has them for $100-$2500 – obviously my budget is limited, if someone has a good probe for sale that fits this machine please send me a pm.
thank you!

I've got a few people contacting me with questions about the B&S microval computer, so here is some summary. I managed to re-hose the machine. it was not a big deal. there are several posts online for tube selection. I bought the tube from McMaster carr. these are the tubes I bought:

5108K42 Abrasion-Resistant Polyurethane Tube for Air 1/8" ID, 3/16" OD, 50 ft. Length
5108K46 Abrasion-Resistant Polyurethane Tube for Air 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 25 ft. Length

the 1/8" is to hook up the air bearings, the 3/16 runs from the distributor to the filter

I had to remove the air bearings. I made a tool to loosen the counter-nut, and marked the nut/bolt and housing with indelible marker so everything goes back to the same angular position. I did not remove the nut/bolt, just loosened the nut, and unscrewed the bolt for 3 full turns. this allowed me to remove the air bearing. I made sure I adhered to the same procedure for every bearing. I replaced the plastic air connectors, and valves. I ordered the valves from this company:

On/Off 2-Way Dental Toggle Valve- VABO USA WE SHIP WORLDWIDE

these valves are used in dental industry and standardized. on the same page you can find more parts, like this male coupler. the original on the machine that connects the valves to the distribution block are plastic and they break easily, especially if the unit was in a factory environment, with no oil scrubber and filter in the lines.

Male Coupler, 10-32 Thread- VABO dental parts supplier

I could not find an original power supply for the B&S computer. this is the picture on the back of the box:

IMG_0235.jpg

I opened the box and figured out the pinout. I used a computer power supply to test it and it worked. Here is the pinout:

B&S_Computer_PS_Layout.jpg

next I searched fleebay for similar item. I needed to make sure both the 5V and 12V current ratings are acceptable. These brick power supplies are used for laptops, medical equipment, and they should be adequate. Here is the one I used:

IMG_6598.jpg

I ordered the 5 pin din connector from here:

Neutrik Rean NYS322G 5 Pin DIN Plug Gold Contacts

here is the part description:

Rean NYS322G 5 Pin DIN Plug Gold Contacts

din_5_connector.jpg

this connector worked pretty well. it's well built, and remembering the crappy connectors from the 80' for my stereo cassette this is definitely an upgrade.

I can power the computer on now. I cannot go to the settings though. It needs a 5 digit pin. I've read the the serial number of the unit typed in backwards should work but it didn't work for me. I'll keep searching.
the machine is definitely an air hog. I've got a 20 gallon compressor and it turns on every 10 minutes. The compressor is set to 110 PSI the air regulator for the microval is set to 70 PSI. there is one audible leak at the top of the Z gantry where the fishing line goes in to the balancing cylinder. I've read some machines are using a solid rod. I might do that too with a double lip seal.

One of the grating screens came off of my Y stage linear encoder. I did not glue it back with super glue yet, I was afraid it'll ruin it when the glue spreads on the surface. I might try thick CA glue. If any of you guys are knowledgeable about this machine please pm me.

I've got a few people contacting me with questions about the B&S microval computer, so here is some summary. I managed to re-hose the machine. it was not a big deal. there are several posts online for tube selection. I bought the tube from McMaster carr. I had to remove the air bearings. I made a tool to loosen the counter-nut, and marked the nut/bolt and housing with indelible marker so everything goes back to the same position. I did not remove the nut/bolt, just loosen the nut, and unscrewed the bolt for 3 full turns. this allowed me to remove the air bearing. I made sure I adhered to the same procedure in every case. I replaced the plastic air connectors, and valves. I ordered the valves from this company:

On/Off 2-Way Dental Toggle Valve- VABO USA WE SHIP WORLDWIDE

these valves are used in dental industry and standardized. on the same page you can find more parts, like this male coupler. the original on the machine that connects the valves to the distribution block are plastic and they break easily, especially if the unit was in a factory environment, with no oil scrubber and filter in the lines.

Male Coupler, 10-32 Thread- VABO dental parts supplier

I could not find an original power supply for the B&S computer. this is the picture on the back of the box:

IMG_0235.jpg

I opened the box and figured out the pinout. I used a computer power supply to test it and it worked. Here is the pinout:

B&S_Computer_PS_Layout.jpg

next I searched fleebay for similar item. I needed to make sure both the 5V and 12V current ratings are acceptable. These brick power supplies are used for laptops, medical equipment, and they should be adequate. Here is the one I used:

IMG_6598.jpg

I ordered the 5 pin din connector from here:

Neutrik Rean NYS322G 5 Pin DIN Plug Gold Contacts

here is the part description:

Rean NYS322G 5 Pin DIN Plug Gold Contacts

din_5_connector.jpg

this connector worked pretty well. it's well built, and remembering the crappy connectors from the 80' for my stereo cassette this is definitely an upgrade.

I can power the computer on now. I cannot go to the settings though. It needs a 5 digit pin. I've read the the serial number of the unit typed in backwards should work but it didn't work for me. I'll keep searching.
the machine is definitely an air hog. I've got a 20 gallon compressor and it turns on every 10 minutes. The compressor is set to 110 PSI the air regulator for the microval is set to 70 PSI. there is one audible leak at the top of the Z gantry where the fishing line goes in to the balancing cylinder. I've read some machines are using a solid rod. I might do that too with a double lip seal.

One of the grating screens came off of my Y stage liner encoder. I did not glue it back with super glue yet, I was afraid it'll ruin it when it spreads on the surface. I might try thick CA glue. If any of you guys are knowledgeable about this machine please pm me.

Back