What's new
What's new

Calibration Lab Temp & humidity Standards?

asegiel

Plastic
Good morning,
Does anyone have definitive Numbers on what the Temperature and Humidity a Calibration/Measurement lab (for AS9100) machined parts is supposed to be?

We have always had our lab set at 70 just to maintain a 71 DegF temp.(not the best sealed lab) our humidity has always been around the 30-40% range.

Our Quality Manual for AS9100 states we maintain a calibration system, where when we trace back our calibrations, eg gage blocks, rings, thread plugs, they are all traced back to NIST standards with ISO 17025 Standards on all our certs.

From what I can find NIST/ISO17025 Lab standards are 68DegF +/- 2 deg. But I cannot find a physical document stating what that standard requires. and/ or what I have to maintain. Our Tracking graph on the wall is shooting all over the place the past 2 weeks, and i am trying to resolve some issues, so that we do not get a non-conformance on our Audit.

Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated, Every time I try to search online, i get sucked down a wormhole with no answers.

Thanks!!

What is proper temperature for a QC lab? ISO requirement? Best practices?

20 C or 68F is the "normal" for dimension lab. You could set yours to 28C but it would cause huge headache with all the temperature compensations and uncertainties.
Humidity somewhere between 20 and 50% rh, too low causes static buildup and over 50 you'll risk to get rust on surfaces.

Electronics/electrical lab on the other hand would be typically 23c and 30-70% rh or something like that.

The general idea is that whatever temperature you maintain, you report the value of that temperature and state if you have compensated the reported value to be at 68F.(or not). In our prep for 17025 we have to take into account the possible temperature range during measurement, the resulting size changes and include that in the uncertainty calculation of the reported values.

Back