What's new
What's new

Can you recognize this?

butacska

Plastic
Hello, everybody!

I am Maria.:) I have come here in need of some help. My husband, who passed away 3 years ago and was a lifelong toolmaker has left me with a garage full of stuff I have no idea about. :crazy: I feel strong enough now to try to sell them without busting up in tears about the fact that I am "getting rid" of his stuff... also in need of the money... but with no knowledge in the field I am kinda stuck. Not only am I a total outsider, English is my second language and having trouble finding the correct name of things.:confused:

So I was wondering if I could post some pictures here - as I move along with my selling project - time to time?

This is what I mean:

I have know idea what this is called, what this is for:

20200125_173223.jpg

(Never used this forum before, so not sure if it attached the picture, but... anyway... let me know if this is okay here, please!)

- Maria

Dear Maria: Yes your picture came thru just fine. It is a set of precision gage blocks. Not sure what your garage full of stuff is, but would recommend that you try to locate a reliable auction company in your area. Hope this helps.

JH

Where in Nevada are you (city)? I may be of help if you are looking for condition and pricing. I have been to sales where someone was practically giving the stuff away and then other sales where they are asking prices that are almost retail.

Dear Maria: Yes your picture came thru just fine. It is a set of precision gage blocks. Not sure what your garage full of stuff is, but would recommend that you try to locate a reliable auction company in your area. Hope this helps.

JH

If you were to tell us what town in Nevada you are located in we may be able to recommend a reputable used tooling/equipment buyer and or an auctioneer.

Thank you all very much! James, thank you for the help!

I'm in the Vegas area.

Well, about the garage... To be honest... when you ask what I have, "a lot of metal" comes to mind.

Most of the indicators and calipers mitutoyo, Starrett etc (I had about 20 combined) I sold. I have a ton of (almost literally) steel blocks all kind of shapes, with and without holes... that are most likely useless.

I have drill bits, end mills, taps, indicator holders, ID depth gauge sets...

I don't know... At this point just trying to clean up a little bit... Any box or tote I lift weighs A LOT! He sold the lathe and the drill press a couple of years ago but I got about 20 boxes and totes, one big rolling chest full of stuff and 4 or 5 smaller tool boxes.

Anyway... Will see where I go. I'm not in a hurry, just trying to get stuff in order in my life. Thank you all again!

I ran into some other ones... Got no idea what this is... was with grinding wheels... Trash?

20200206_083052.jpg

Or these, same box...

20200206_083503.jpg

And one more:

20200125_174005.jpg

Thank you!

I'd toss the top two. The instrument in the box looks like a height-gauge. Its value will depend on the size and manufacturer. (Condition always matters too, but 'in the box' I'd guess condition is good.)

As mentioned below, the grinding wheel might of value. But a lot of plated diamond wheels can't be dressed, and if its one of those with 'needs dressing' on it, well. . . If you can find a label or type number on the wheel it might help.

I ran into some other ones... Got no idea what this is
The first photo looks like a diamond-plated grinding wheel with hub. Not trash! The second photo is probably a pair of wheel collars, and the third photo is a height gage in apparently new condition, also not trash.

Thank you so much for the quick answers, everybody! You guys are awesome!

The "height gauge" is in pretty good condition, except it has the dial glass off... :( I am thinking to try to sell it for $150 plus shipping? Too much? Has everything in the box.:)

So I am still not sure on the "collars" and the "diamond plated wheel"? Do those two go together? Maybe someone needs them , I would sell those for 2 bucks and shipping... :confused:

Hello, everybody!

I am Maria.:) I have know idea what this is called, what this is for:

View attachment 276514

(Never used this forum before, so not sure if it attached the picture, but... anyway... let me know if this is okay here, please!)

- Maria
I have that exact set. And others. These I believe are correctly called space blocks. Gauge blocks are the rectangular gauges with highly polished ends. For precision, as well as cohesion and for accurate set ups. The space blocks served as the same purpose, but a more economical alternative. I would sell that set for no less than $125 USD.

Just an opinion,
Thom J

Thank you so much, Thom! That is a great help! I will list it tonight! I am honestly thinking 80-90 dollars.

I am not trying to make rich here, I am trying to get these into hands of ppl who need it and will use it.

My hubby used to take great pride in his job and loved it so much that it just breaks my heart to see everything go to waste in the garage...

I really appreciate everybody here!

You are welcome. And yes, Precision tools and tooling will go to waste if not cared for. If you can not use it, sell it. Unless you want something for sentimental value. Pick something out that seems unique to you and keep it. For good memories.

Thom J

Yes, Thom, exactly what I am thinking... I am a woodworker, and he used to drive me crazy when I was making something and he came with his calipers to help me measure, like it was precision metal work... and I was making a rustic furniture. LOL, I am keeping those calipers... :)

The first photo looks like a diamond-plated grinding wheel with hub. Not trash! The second photo is probably a pair of wheel collars, and the third photo is a height gage in apparently new condition, also not trash.

The diamond wheel isn't a plated one, but the kind with diamond in a matrix on the rim. It will last a lot longer and would be more valuable than a plated wheel. Nevertheless, with industrial diamonds being so much more available than 40 years ago, it's not the gem it once was.

JH

They are space blocks. Their use is similar to precision gauge blocks but their accuracy is less, usually about +-.0001". Also called setup blocks.

Okay, I have made some progress with your help and I appreciate you so much! I listed both the height gauge and the spacer blocks on e-bay. Thank you all, again.

Now I have ran into some things that are total odd ones! :crazy:

What the heck could these be? :eek:

20200220_163640.jpg

20200220_163844.jpg

Now I have ran into some things that are total odd ones! :crazy:

What the heck could these be?
The first item is a J&S Fluidmotion dresser for grinding wheels, puts precision tangent-radius-tangent shapes onto the wheel circumference. You can probably figure out the exact model number by looking here. The items in the 2nd photo are probably a generic toolmaker's plate for holding small work on the bench or the surface grinder, and what I suspect is a vise for an EDM machine.

Brand names are important in this business. It is not unusual for a name brand such as Starrett to be worth 10 times the price of an Asian knockoff.

Back