What's new
What's new

CMM fixture for small parts

RJT

Titanium
I've been looking for ideas to hold small (1/2 cubic inch) molded plastic parts for CMM inspection. Customer wants us to build modular custom 2 station fixtures for 9 different parts so he can probe datum surfaces and features. Everything I see on line is too big / cumbersome. Not sure if someone makes something I can use with nests that I build , or if I should plan on making everything from scratch. What do you CMM users like for holding small odd shaped parts? May be too generic of a question, but I cannot post drawings.

I've been looking for ideas to hold small (1/2 cubic inch) molded plastic parts for CMM inspection. Customer wants us to build modular custom 2 station fixtures for 9 different parts so he can probe datum surfaces and features. Everything I see on line is too big / cumbersome. Not sure if someone makes something I can use with nests that I build , or if I should plan on making everything from scratch. What do you CMM users like for holding small odd shaped parts? May be too generic of a question, but I cannot post drawings.

It's going to be super hard to try and recommend anything without an idea of what the parts look like, have you looked at inspection arsenal? I've used their products often in the past with great success.

RJ, that sounds fancy and all, but what we do is have a removable fixture to set position of the part via an outside corner, put two tiny blobs of modeling clay wherever you want to trap the part on the table or riser, and remove the location fixture. Small parts won't move against the clay.

Disclaimer: My experience is with video systems, not probes. Probes don't put hardly any pressure on the part though, so I bet it still works.

CMM fixture

I recommend Rayco; I believe that you can Google search them. I would try "Rayco CMM fixtures" or something similiar. Years ago I went from a machine shop to a plastics firm and had a lot of trouble fixturing their product. I somehow found out that they (Rayco) had a kit designed for plastics and was pleased with it. Hope this info helps.

Back