CMR...Coordinate Measuring... Robot !
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CMR...Coordinate Measuring... Robot !

Ever heard of a Comero Fanamation CMR ? It's a DCC CMM, but with linear motors ! The thing is so fast it has protective light curtains in case anyone sticks their hand in the "envelope" by accident.

Anyhoo I have one, a 404024, made in 1990 and just wondering if I should scrap it or what ? I only bought it for the Renishaw motorized probe system....but seems a shame to not do something with the machine... and where does one scrap granite anyway ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The thing is so fast it has protective light curtains in case anyone sticks their hand in the "envelope" by accident.
    We have 10 or so dedicated fixtures mounted to Rayco plates on each CMM. Our first shift CMM programmer was adjusting a clamp on a fixture by the left column when the X axis went left and caught his head between the Z and the column. I wish I were there to see it because the story still brings a smile to my face. Of course the CMM stopped when it met resistance and he wasn't hurt.

The air bearings and the granite ought to have some resale value by themselves. The granite would obviously make a great layout plate, but I'm sure there are other creative ways to use it too. -Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a photo of the real thing. The granite is in perfect shape, mechanically everything appears pretty much as new. Axis scales are thin profile RSF Elektronik, which I think are in cahoots with Heidenhain and use the same compatability standards.

For $3,850 (plus a probe) it could be retrofitted to manual use with new Quadra Chek 330 color touch screen CMM control.... but who would want a manual CMM this large ?

I connected air and the axis move beautifully by hand...afterall, being linear motors there are no screws or rods to interfer with manual movement.

Much of the air line and wiring you see on the floor has to do with an elaborate air bag system used to isolate the granite from the floor. Either they wanted to have it such that even a California earthquake wouldn't effect results, or something about the linear motors and stop dead decelleration rates...