What's new
What's new

Comtor calibration help needed

TomBoctou

Hot Rolled
I've got a few Comtor gages that I got as part of a lot, I'm having trouble calibrating them.
comtor.jpg
They all seem to calibrate roughly like this. In a known good standard the needle is too far off to be able to zero by rotating the face, and the range is roughly +0.00015 to -0.00585 instead of +/- 0.003.
A couple of the plug heads I have say to only use with CM2 amplifiers. This one doesn't say, so I assume it's appropriate for a CM1, although the results are the same when plugged into a CM2 or a different CM1 (it looks to me like the only difference between the CM1 and CM2 amplifiers is the +/- 0.006 vs. +/- 0.003 range).
There's no significant wear visible on the plugs or the amplifiers. There's good repeatability when I swap parts with other plugs/amplifiers then swap back.
It looks like the only calibration that could affect this is the length of the calibration ring (the black ring on the plug that's against the red body). I could trim these to get the needle back to zero, but I must be missing something if I get the same results across a few different plugs & amplifiers.

Any advice?

Back