What's new
What's new

Custom Air Gauge

TwnFinn

Plastic
I am looking for suggestions on who to contact to make a custom air gauge?

Our part is 250mm long thin walled stainless tube (open ended). The target ID is just over 17mm and we are trying to measure within +/- 0.015mm Inside surface is honed. Currently measured using a 3 point ID mic which takes a long time per part. We measure 3 points (close to ends and around middle).

I'm thinking of an air gauge with three points of measurement that can measure this in one go with even a dummy operator. Total 6 measurements so that the part is rotated 90 degrees between. We have no experience with air gauges at all. Any suggestions who to contact for something like this? Doesn't really matter where in the world, we have an office in USA and Europe, the measurements are done in Taiwan.

I am looking for suggestions on who to contact to make a custom air gauge?

Our part is 250mm long thin walled stainless tube (open ended). The target ID is just over 17mm and we are trying to measure within +/- 0.015mm Inside surface is honed. Currently measured using a 3 point ID mic which takes a long time per part. We measure 3 points (close to ends and around middle).

I'm thinking of an air gauge with three points of measurement that can measure this in one go with even a dummy operator. Total 6 measurements so that the part is rotated 90 degrees between. We have no experience with air gauges at all. Any suggestions who to contact for something like this? Doesn't really matter where in the world, we have an office in USA and Europe, the measurements are done in Taiwan.

Not sure about the 3 point measuring (vertically 3 points at varying depths?), what would you want it to do, give an average, or...? The air gages I have seen, and I am no way well versed in them at all, have a slightly undersized cylinder with air ports and the measurement is made by calculating the air volume or velocity or something. Think it would be easier to look for something like that and just have the operator take 3 measurements (or however many) manually by adjusting the measuring cylinder deeper or shallower inside the tube.

Quality 101: All About Air Gages | 2012-08-10 | Quality Magazine.

https://www.precisiongageco.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Mahr-Dimensionair-Catalog.pdf

Not sure about the 3 point measuring (vertically 3 points at varying depths?), what would you want it to do, give an average, or...? The air gages I have seen, and I am no way well versed in them at all, have a slightly undersized cylinder with air ports and the measurement is made by calculating the air volume or velocity or something. Think it would be easier to look for something like that and just have the operator take 3 measurements (or however many) manually by adjusting the measuring cylinder deeper or shallower inside the tube.

Quality 101: All About Air Gages | 2012-08-10 | Quality Magazine.

https://www.precisiongageco.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Mahr-Dimensionair-Catalog.pdf

Thanks for the links. Good reading.

The idea with three ports was just to make it faster but you maybe right that a single one would be pretty quick also.

I will get some quotes and report back here later what we ended up with.

Thanks for the links. Good reading.

The idea with three ports was just to make it faster but you maybe right that a single one would be pretty quick also.

I will get some quotes and report back here later what we ended up with.

Ended up buying a Dimensionair II. Was easy to setup and measuring is very simple also. We had it installed with an extension part so we can measure quite deep into the bore. Not much bad to say. The one part that does suck is that ordering plugs - masters seems to take for ever. I was just quoted 6 weeks for a set. Outside that its certainly the easiest way to measure tight tolerance bores.

Back