Different types of thread gages, how many uses before calibration? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Josh View Post
    I know im getting a bit off topic here but I also always was taught that ISO 9001 cerification was more of a guidline on how to plan your process and follow them (ie. Process maps). I didnt think that it dictated calibration intervals, that it just said that when you do decide on an interval you have to follow it?
    That's my understanding when we went through an ISO audit a few years ago.

They just want to see standard procedures for everything you do, then they want you to prove that you follow same.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterfalke View Post
    As far as I know, the certification guarantees the tool is good right now, and nothing else.
    That's true in theory.

Common industry practice is a bit more complex.

A good cal lab will maintain an as-received history of every item that comes in.
    Analyzing that data lets them calculate a rate-of-wear value for the item.

A good lab will set adjustments such that the tool is slightly off on the plus wear side when it leaves the lab.
    That way it wears through zero error toward the minus wear side during the coming year.

The result is a statistical range of error centered on zero. Much better than setting it to zero in the lab.

- Leigh

3. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hmmm.. ok this gives me alot to think about when designing this calibration schedule, I guess the first step is to talk to the Lab and see what they say. Thanks for contributing eveyone, this thread has helped me the most thus far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The real Leigh View Post
    That's fine, but you cannot claim the gage to be certified beyond the expiration date on the cal label.

I'm amazed you could find a cal lab that would agree to send out items with a blank expiration date.

I expect they could lose their certification for doing so.

- Leigh
    Our CMM and Surface plate calibration vendors do not even have a spot for expiration date on their calibration labels. It is our responsibility not theirs to determine
    the recall frequency of each item per AS-9102.

Our AS-9102 manual requires we track all calibration data and reduce or extend the recall interval as required to not exceed our requirements at our interval.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Josh View Post
    I know im getting a bit off topic here but I also always was taught that ISO 9001 cerification was more of a guidline on how to plan your process and follow them (ie. Process maps). I didnt think that it dictated calibration intervals, that it just said that when you do decide on an interval you have to follow it? Is this not the case TeachMePlease?

Yes, I misspoke. ISO does not care what your process IS, so long as you document your process and follow it. That said, our process is that nothing ever goes more than a year without calibration, and many things are much more frequent. It's all down to traceability.

7. Likes Quality Josh liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We deal with all types of gages and can answer this for you. Contact us at Gage Assembly
    Last edited by The real Leigh; 04-23-2019 at 02:30 AM. Reason: direct link removed - TRL

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a 4 year old thread and I’m surprised I’ve never given my 5c.

Let’s forget calibration and certification for a minute. How fast a thread gauge wears depends on how often it is used and on what materials. SS will wear a thread gauge faster than brass and a thread gauge used daily will wear out faster than one used once a year. Logic.

One thing that will minimize wear is measuring the thread pitch diameter at set-up (to get as close to the middle of the tolerance as possible) rather than using the thread gauge to feel your way. The advantage of thread gauges is that, more or less, everything gets checked on the thread and of course this means having both Go and NoGo. By not measuring thread flank diameter then thread gauges will be used often as all that is known is that it is “somewhere” within tolerance.

I’ve found that most, when giving calibration intervals, don’t give it much thought and writing something like “annually” seems like a reasonably long time when written. Mumbles and curses when a year goes past quicker than expected.

Thread gauges used frequently require calibration more often than those that aren’t. Follow from calibration results how fast wear occurs. Calibration intervals can be made for individual thread gauges and they aren’t (or shouldn’t be) chiseled in stone.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tom.wright View Post
    We deal with all types of gages and can answer this for you. Contact us at Gage Assembly
    Probably not the best way to start off in PM. I suggest you try a more "neutral" suggestion first. You can always add your "home page" in your profile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tom.wright View Post
    If you can answer the question, please do so in this thread.

There's no reason for the OP to "contact you".

That's not how internet forums work.

- Leigh