Digital calipers - Chinese - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have multiple chinese micrometers I buy in bulk (and sometimes sell).

The really good ones I use are excellent, in digital mics, dtis, and calipers.
    A 1-2" digital mic is about 1 micron accurate and 1 micron consistent.

And costs about 70 retail with 22% VAT tax included in EU land.

I tested blind with gage pins and micrometer standards.
    20 test measurements on different gage pins, one was 2 microns off, about half were zero error, about half were 1 micron error.

I also tested 4 different cheap digital 1 micron micrometers.
    All were garbage.
    Repeatability was 3-5 microns and varied up and down, sometimes randomly, and measurements would bias on any fast closing.
    So the frames/mounts/faces bend and screws are inconsistent.
    Cost about 30 each.

I should do a web page/video of the tests with pics, showing the errors.

My mics and calipers and DTIs are made by Shaahe china, but I will sticker private-label them for retail sales.
    Since I will fix issues myself, I prefer to directly stand behind them.
    I only make 20-30 each, so anyone can order direct if they want.

My data shows the tested results being as good as specs for 600 midrange tools from Fowler, Starret, Mitutoyo, Federal, etc.
    For about 75 small mics and == 100 to 6".

I have had about 3 years use on 10 tools, and have maybe 30 assorted new in boxes.
    Batteries are 2032 lion button cells, last about 1-2 years.
    SPC data cables are cheap, vs name brand japanese stuff.

Lots of chinese stuff is excellent, bang/buck.

AC brushless servos are one other excellent product line, apart from the measuring instruments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    100mA usable capacity out of CR1632 would give about 50 000 hour/6 year battery life. Me happy.
    My "ordinary" CCC caliper with LR44 battery for comparison:
    Good analysis, Matt.

What's the usable capacity of the LR44 battery?
    Thanks.

- Leigh

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The real Leigh View Post
    Good analysis, Matt.

What's the usable capacity of the LR44 battery?
    Thanks.

- Leigh
    LR44 maybe about 100...120mAh to 1.2v cut-off voltage (my CCC lcd's start to get dim at this point)
    SR44 silver oxide 190mAh to 1.2v cut-off voltage. I recommend this over LR44 even if its bit more expensive to buy and maybe a bit harder to find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LR44 maybe about 100...120mAh to 1.2v cut-off voltage (my CCC lcd's start to get dim at this point)
    SR44 silver oxide 190mAh to 1.2v cut-off voltage. I recommend this over LR44 even if its bit more expensive to buy and maybe a bit harder to find.
    Thanks very much, Matt.
    I didn't realize there was such a large difference between the LR and SR.
    I always try to use the SR44 because I thought their voltage was more stable.

- Leigh

5. Likes MattiJ liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Local Finn was interested how well this one holds zero setting and works in typical partly heated (hobby)shop. (Zero on cheapest ones seem to be always off by 0.01 or 0.03mm next day..)
    Zeroed yesterday, repeats to 0,000mm every time also today. Leave outside to lovely november weather of +5 C and 101 % humidity for a hour: zero repeats to 0,000mm most of the time with occasional jump to -0,005mm

Forgot to mention that non-functional surfaces are not what you would see on a Mitutoyo, sort of "hand crafted look" IE deburring radiuses look bit random, deburring marks here and there, and some of the body dimensions look to be coming right out of freehand belt grinder.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A Local Finn was interested how well this one holds zero setting and works in typical partly heated (hobby)shop. (Zero on cheapest ones seem to be always off by 0.01 or 0.03mm next day..)
    Zeroed yesterday, repeats to 0,000mm every time also today. Leave outside to lovely november weather of +5 C and 101 % humidity for a hour: zero repeats to 0,000mm most of the time with occasional jump to -0,005mm

Forgot to mention that non-functional surfaces are not what you would see on a Mitutoyo, sort of "hand crafted look" IE deburring radiuses look bit random, deburring marks here and there, and some of the body dimensions look to be coming right out of freehand belt grinder.
    I'm wondering about the brand name on those as the finish on those I get are as good as Mitutoyo.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gordon: still talking about Pride -brand bought from their own webshop in aliexpress.
    Functionally close to Mitutoyo but non-critical surfaces are grind bit crooked, edges not 90-degree angles and deburred bit funky.

Maybe Ill take some photos to entertain you.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

-Outside jaws are deburred&rounded to kind of random shape. One of them is deburred on the outside and another not at all. Fixed jaw is deburred&deformed on the measuring surfaces more than moving jaw.

-Dept rod is protruding about 0.02mm from the body
    -internal jaws are about 0.5mm different length from tip to body. Body grinding line is "crooked" (tips are at same level but body parts are grind to random dimension)
    https://i.imgur.com/cFKyRLZl.jpg

-grind lines are not intersecting at 90 degree angle so something is non-perpendicular. Turns out that the end of the caliper what you would use for measuring step height is grind at 91 degrees.

https://i.imgur.com/g49w6X8l.jpg

And maybe weirdest of all? outside jaws are not perpendicular to slide rail. About 0,11mm out of square over a 75mm distance.

10. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe Gordon got promotional samples and I got standard production quality

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe Gordon got promotional samples and I got standard production quality
    "Maybe I’ll take some photos to entertain you." Strange choice of words.

After reading what you've just written I looked again at the 5 I had received from Pride. They look and feel good to me so maybe you are right and I got hand picked. So far everything I've measured with them (externally and internally) is correct to within 0.005mm (0.0002"). I also got 0-25mm and 25-50mm digital micrometers plus Go and NoGo plug and ring thread gauges (M8) for virtually nothing and everything was satisfactory.

I guess time will tell. My main interest in digital calipers is using them in connection with thread measurement and that means mounting attachments. Other types of measuring equipment in general is only if I get a specific request from a customer.

Now that brand names have been mentioned then Anyi is my favourite (not cheap but not expensive either) and I've always been more than happy with what I've bought from them.

I'm (with wife and friends) in the bottom 2 pictures during a visit to them in Guilin, China. I knew the owner (Fengshan Wu and not in the pictures) personally before I ever visited.

China Measuring Instrument Manufacturer & Supplier - Anyi Measuring Tools

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    After reading what you've just written I looked again at the 5 I had received from Pride. They look and feel good to me so maybe you are right and I got hand picked. So far everything I've measured with them (externally and internally) is correct to within 0.005mm (0.0002").

For the price Im satisfied enough with the ones I got as it looks like they should have outstanding battery life and they dont seem to mind cold weather. And they work smoothly.

What I found most interesting (but largely irrelevant for actual use) is the non-perpendicular jaws to the slide. I mean are they matched pair? grind somehow as assembly? or is all of their production off by that much?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the price Im satisfied enough with the ones I got as it looks like they should have outstanding battery life and they dont seem to mind cold weather. And they work smoothly.

What I found most interesting (but largely irrelevant for actual use) is the non-perpendicular jaws to the slide. I mean are they matched pair? grind somehow as assembly? or is all of their production off by that much?
    I did as you did and checked with a square. It does look as if they are not exactly 90. I simply can't imagine them being ground to match after assembly so either their manufacturing is slightly off (most likely) or it's an optical illusion.

No matter where I measure in the jaw length the result is the same to within 0.005mm / 0.0002" and that is the important thing.
    What did impress me most was how accurately they measured small holes. That's usually the weak point of any caliper.

Here's a test for anyone with an older Mitutoyo digital caliper. Switch on and push down on the very left of housing from above. The result of course shouldn't change but if it does you have a problem. If anyone tries this and experiences a "jump" of more than 0.02mm / 0.001" I'll give more details. If not then "no problem".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To contribute my own experience with Chinese precision tools, I once bought a really low-priced 4 inch SPI ("Swiss Precision Instruments") dial caliper for use at my desk. It literally came apart within two weeks and had to be thrown away.

Within the last few years we had to buy both 24 and 40-inch long-jaw electronic calipers to replace our former tape-measure-over-clamped-on-parallels method of checking long dimensions during assembly. I had previously owned several Fowler brand electronic calipers in the 6-inch size with Sylvac electronics and they were quite accurate, so that was the one Chinese-made measuring tool I allowed in the shop. I recommended them to new employees who wanted their own calipers for quick monitoring of their parts, as they cost a lot less than Mits and felt better than Starretts. At last look, however, item for item, the Fowler brand was no longer cheaper. I imagine popularity drove the price increase.

These came from MSC. I have no problem with them, they are hardened stainless and are square and repeatable (provided you use the right technique for handling long jaws and a long heavy beam). Who knows what Chinese factory made them for the Fowler brand, but if they marketed them themselves I would be a customer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40-inch-fowler-calipers.jpg  

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just for giggles I sent a claim for faulty product, take it as a sort of test to see if they see any problem with the jaws finish or not.

Next on review pipeline are Hanermo's recommendation over "Shahe" brand calipers.
    No need to comment if these make any sense...Mitutoyo has ongoing campaign at the moment for 6" digital calipers at 84 Eur/96 usd (+VAT)

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    To contribute my own experience with Chinese precision tools, I once bought a really low-priced 4 inch SPI ("Swiss Precision Instruments") dial caliper for use at my desk. It literally came apart within two weeks and had to be thrown away.
    {insulting off-topic comments removed - TRL }

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently bought a set of the 0-12" .0002 Microtech calipers referenced in the beginning of this thread. Regarding the "made in ukraine" stamp, I did notice that the plastic case looks a lot like my chinese Anyi .0002 0-8" case... Anyway I really like the microtech calipers. They have a force gage built in for outside measurements. Silky smooth and test out spot on with my micrometer standards up to 8". Nice raised buttons esp for zero reset. ID to OD is good as well. Plus theyre yellow, easy to find. I like them enough that I just bought the 0-6" .0002 model.

I ordered the Anyi a year ago direct from Anyi as my favorite Starret 799a quit working in high humidity. Also very nice, smooth and accurate. Only downside is no thumbwheel. I have many other Mitutoyo, Sylvac etc but Ive been using the Anyi and now the microtech as the new favorites for the quick measurement stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_4965.jpg   img_4964.jpg   img_4966.jpg   img_4967.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post

Within the last few years we had to buy both 24 and 40-inch long-jaw electronic calipers to replace our former tape-measure-over-clamped-on-parallels method of checking long dimensions during assembly. I had previously owned several Fowler brand electronic calipers in the 6-inch size with Sylvac electronics and they were quite accurate, so that was the one Chinese-made measuring tool I allowed in the shop. I recommended them to new employees who wanted their own calipers for quick monitoring of their parts, as they cost a lot less than Mits and felt better than Starretts. At last look, however, item for item, the Fowler brand was no longer cheaper. I imagine popularity drove the price increase.

These came from MSC. I have no problem with them, they are hardened stainless and are square and repeatable (provided you use the right technique for handling long jaws and a long heavy beam). Who knows what Chinese factory made them for the Fowler brand, but if they marketed them themselves I would be a customer.

There has been at least one thread on SPI, and "Swiss" may have been part of the name at some point, but today it is MSC's "house brand" and not exactly Western European FOB.

I hate their controls, and my Brown and Sharpe 30mm mic has the same head on it. I love the mic, but absolutely hate having to ZERO the bloody thang! I end up pushing buttons until at some point I end up with it where I want it. Kind'a like throwing Shiite at the wall... eventually something will stick eh?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by markp View Post
    I recently bought a set of the 0-12" .0002 Microtech calipers referenced in the beginning of this thread. Regarding the "made in ukraine" stamp, I did notice that the plastic case looks a lot like my chinese Anyi .0002 0-8" case... Anyway I really like the microtech calipers. They have a force gage built in for outside measurements. Silky smooth and test out spot on with my micrometer standards up to 8". Nice raised buttons esp for zero reset. ID to OD is good as well. Plus theyre yellow, easy to find. I like them enough that I just bought the 0-6" .0002 model.

I ordered the Anyi a year ago direct from Anyi as my favorite Starret 799a quit working in high humidity. Also very nice, smooth and accurate. Only downside is no thumbwheel. I have many other Mitutoyo, Sylvac etc but Ive been using the Anyi and now the microtech as the new favorites for the quick measurement stuff.
    The Anyi caliper in the last picture is excellent but no longer available at the moment.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    {insulting off-topic comments removed - TRL }
    Really? You are OK with "precision" and "really low priced" in the same sentence? That was my comment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Very disappointing.