Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    And the next caliper under scrutinization is from Shahe.
    You're going to be very busy if you keep going but interesting information. I am almost certain many of these caliper manufacturers don't even make the calipers but buy from each other and just put their own name on it.

I visited a large electronics factory in Shenzhen and one of their customers was Mitutoyo.

Often you only have to look at the caliper box (very few different designs) to see most seem to buy from a few companies specializing in making them.

Probably much like a car. As good as impossible to find one where all parts come from just one country. With an air filter there's a good chance it was made in India.

2. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You're going to be very busy if you keep going but interesting information. I am almost certain many of these caliper manufacturers don't even make the calipers but buy from each other and just put their own name on it.

I visited a large electronics factory in Shenzhen and one of their customers was Mitutoyo.

Often you only have to look at the caliper box (very few different designs) to see most seem to buy from a few companies specializing in making them.

Probably much like a car. As good as impossible to find one where all parts come from just one country. With an air filter there's a good chance it was made in India.
    Somehow it looked like Shahe&Pride caliper bodies come out of same production line (both have 3.5mm slide thickness vs ~3mm on my cheapest calipers, serial number printed to identical place, depth rod supported with screw head instead of steel strip)
    But Pride definitely got MUCH better electronics(current consumption&zero sensitivity to voltage)

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Pride definitely got MUCH better electronics(current consumption&zero sensitivity to voltage)
    It'll very much depend on where they buy their electronics in China.

If anyone knows where caliper electronics is made other than in China I'd like to know.

I'm waiting for you to get to Anyi digital calipers as those are my favourite Chinese digital calipers.

5. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Really? You are OK with "precision" and "really low priced" in the same sentence? That was my comment. Nothing more, nothing less.

Very disappointing.
    Precision in the context of my sentence referred to the general category of measuring tools used by machinists, commonly known as precision tools, an accepted usage in North American English dating back 150 years. While I will gladly stipulate that crap sold under the SPI trademark is wholly undeserving of the description, to have begun the post with the phrase Chinese "precision" (with precision in quotes) would have been insulting. The Fowler caliper shown is Chinese and is a good tool that rapidly paid for itself in a production environment and doesn't warrant any irony attached to it.

And SPI is not the "house brand" of MSC in any sense of the term.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like Gordon's tests are showing that the critics of "Chinese Junk" are going to eat humble pie shortly, just as the "Jap Scrap" crowd have had to. Every time they read the criticisms, I have no doubt the Chinese are hard at work improving their products. I heard on the news recently that 80% of the US economy was 'service-based.' and would never go back to manufacturing. I don't believe the 80% but there is not much desire to go back to manufacturing.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gwelo62 View Post
    Looks like Gordon's tests are showing that the critics of "Chinese Junk" are going to eat humble pie shortly, just as the "Jap Scrap" crowd have had to. Every time they read the criticisms, I have no doubt the Chinese are hard at work improving their products. I heard on the news recently that 80% of the US economy was 'service-based.' and would never go back to manufacturing. I don't believe the 80% but there is not much desire to go back to manufacturing.
    First off, I don't believe 80% either but competition is intense and increasing. As for "I have no doubt the Chinese are hard at work improving their products." then if you ever visited a good Chinese company I think you'd wish what you saw was happening in the USA.

I think the tests MattiJ is doing are probably less biased than any I do. My interest in digital calipers nowadays is mainly because I attach and use most of my products with them.

One thing though that should get noticed is that we (MattiJ and I) probably handle many more makes of calipers than most.

9. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A question for Gordon. In the measuring world, where does Moore & Wright fit in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Precision in the context of my sentence referred to the general category of measuring tools used by machinists, commonly known as precision tools, an accepted usage in North American English dating back 150 years. While I will gladly stipulate that crap sold under the SPI trademark is wholly undeserving of the description, to have begun the post with the phrase Chinese "precision" (with precision in quotes) would have been insulting. The Fowler caliper shown is Chinese and is a good tool that rapidly paid for itself in a production environment and doesn't warrant any irony attached to it.

And SPI is not the "house brand" of MSC in any sense of the term.

SPi - American or Chinese?

Not saying that Ries is the end-all-be-all on the subject, but I'm sure that I have seen that elsewhere too.
    Price alone is enough to understand that they are not made in Switzerland.

I borrowed a cpl of larger 3pt inside digi SPI mics this last year. They seemed to be OK.

I agree 100% with regards to my 24" Fowler digi caliper!
    It is VERY accurate, and I check it agginst large mic standards frequently.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 11-23-2018 at 08:43 AM. Reason: my

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gwelo62 View Post
    A question for Gordon. In the measuring world, where does Moore & Wright fit in?
    I visited Moore & Wright in Sheffield years ago just before they were bought/taken over by Bowers. It was both interesting and depressing to hear about the time when so much was made locally or at least in the UK. The "guys that knew their stuff" were as good as extinct and just about everything had gone abroad. Anyone going by "just a name" will be disappointed as many "old brands" are now owned by a few giants. Keeping the old brand name is more because of the good memories associated with the name. BTW, nothing wrong with Moore & Wright. Neither better or worse than their competitors.

To Ox and a few others:
    I know for a fact that many American companies buy from (and a couple of other countries too) China but have their brand name put on the products. Some do a better quality check than others so probably why the hardened think "It can't be Chinese".

I could name names but not much point. What some should maybe think about is "How many "American" measuring equipment manufacturers have the employees, resources and machines to make what they sell?". As far as that goes then the USA is certainly not the only country like that.

Like most, if something is the same quality and around the same price, then I prefer to buy "home made". If it isn't then I don't really give a damn where it's made. My money, my decision.

13. Likes gwelo62, converterking liked this post