What's new
What's new

Digital hardness tester

Lanza

Aluminum
Looking to hear from people that have experience using the digital hardness tester.
I have attached a link. It does Leeb, Brinell, Rockwell A,B,C, Vicker, Shore.
Will this tool assist me in anyway for a unknown piece of material. I reproduce a lot of pin and shafts.
Q520 - 50-520 Portable, Digital Hardness Tester | Hare & Forbes Machineryhouse
I'm aware of the usual test such as looking at the swarf colour and also two pieces hit together on the edges to compare harness as a comparator.

Bought the exact same one off of Amazon a couple months ago for about $250. So far, I'm impressed with the accuracy of the unit. I don't see this unit as something you turn loose in the shop for anyone to use. It does come with a massive piece of harden steel that is accuractly made for calibrating the unit to. I would say if your measurements are in the 50-65 HRC range you are probably good using this instrument. For any hardnesses lower than this, suggest getting the proper test blocks to calibrate the unit to IMO. Overall, I like it . Ken

Edit: I don't think this unit would be good for checking the hardness on small shafts. You have to have a flat at least 1/8" wide to get the instrument to set firmly to trigger the ball to hit and record. And this would be iffy on such a small shaft. The shaft would also have to set solidly on a larger piece of flat metal for it to transfer a good signal to the unit for a accurate reading. Another reason for test blocks needed for the exact hardness needed to test to, to validate your readings.

Looking to hear from people that have experience using the digital hardness tester.
I have attached a link. It does Leeb, Brinell, Rockwell A,B,C, Vicker, Shore.
Will this tool assist me in anyway for a unknown piece of material. I reproduce a lot of pin and shafts.
Q520 - 50-520 Portable, Digital Hardness Tester | Hare & Forbes Machineryhouse
I'm aware of the usual test such as looking at the swarf colour and also two pieces hit together on the edges to compare harness as a comparator.

I cant help you with the digital stuff.
But I use these files to check for hardness and they work great for me.

Hardness Testing File Set: Hardness Testing Apparatus: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Back