Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    Why fiddle around going to shows and testing stuff out when you can just buy the best and be done with it?
    My first reaction to your post was a shrug. If you were trying to be serious then what is "the best" in your opinion re digital micrometers and how do you know this?

I'm sure I'm the same as several others and if there is "something out there" that is better than most I'd like to know what it is. "I've never used any other brand and never a problem" isn't an answer or reason. Everything has advantages and disadvantages.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    My first reaction to your post was a shrug. If you were trying to be serious then what is "the best" in your opinion re digital micrometers and how do you know this?

I'm sure I'm the same as several others and if there is "something out there" that is better than most I'd like to know what it is. "I've never used any other brand and never a problem" isn't an answer or reason. Everything has advantages and disadvantages.
    The mits 293 series digital coolant proof mics are well known to be the best commercially available digital mics. Used by machinists all the way up to inspection and calibration. Is there something better, probably will it be available for next day delivery at a reasonable price, probably not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why fiddle around going to shows and testing stuff out when you can just buy the best and be done with it?
    Mitutoyo are not the best.

Good, not the best.

4. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post

Good, not the best.
    Well don't hold the secret, who's the best

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're getting close to strike 1. Don't push it. Be funny elsewhere.

No one is best but some are better than others.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good, not the best.
    Years ago Mitutoyo were THE BRAND for quality. They are still excellent but like you I no longer regard them as the best. They (Mitutoyo) certainly still have a very good reputation so I guess most stick with what they know.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How is that anywhere near offensive or derogatory? I asked him to say who was best? I haven't said anything about you being made the moderator here, in fact I've tried to defuse those that were up in arms. I gave some good advice on how to moderate in one of the threads, maybe you should go and read it.

And the post has been reported.

I read what you post elsewhere. Post here by all means but keep it relevant to metrology. (Added by Gordon)

9. Likes barbter, Dualkit, moldcore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sylvac will get that prize every time. Certainly they are more expensive than Mitutoyo, no argument there. But if money was no object all my measuring instruments would be Sylvac.

As it stands I have mostly Tesa, Mahr and Mitutoyo for hand held measuring instruments, along with a good amount of no name stuff.

On topic, years ago when digital micrometers kind of hit the "mainstream" I was on a shoestring budget and bought a set of noname Chinese digital mics that superficially appear to be replicas of the Tesas.

Later on I went and replaced the most common sizes with Mitutoyos, thinking it would make me a better machinist or something. Later again, I have added some Tesas.

Functionally, there is nothing in it. They all measure a gauge block the same size with similar repeatability. Three out of four of the Chinese ones still work ~12 years later. My only real complaint about them is they eat batteries a lot faster which it seems is a common thing with noname digitals.

11. Likes barbter, Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How is that anywhere near offensive or derogatory? I asked him to say who was best? I haven't said anything about you being made the moderator here, in fact I've tried to defuse those that were up in arms. I gave some good advice on how to moderate in one of the threads, maybe you should go and read it.

And the post has been reported.
    I read what you post elsewhere. Post here by all means but keep it relevant to metrology.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gordon
    He asked Gregor who was the best.
    That is all.
    Everyone knows you're now in charge.
    But don't be a twat

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read what you post elsewhere. Post here by all means but keep it relevant to metrology.
    I post a lot of stuff, some helpful, some joking, and some just pain being a dick. On the other hand, you have been involved in quite a few pissing matches, some of which have led you to be banned for periods of time. That's in the past, you have a chance to do right now, don't muck it up by being yourself.

15. Likes Dualkit, digger doug, moldcore, xa-mont liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I post a lot of stuff, some helpful, some joking, and some just pain being a dick. On the other hand, you have been involved in quite a few pissing matches, some of which have led you to be banned for periods of time. That's in the past, you have a chance to do right now, don't muck it up by being yourself.
    Strike 1. Keep your posts about metrology.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Gordon
    He asked Gregor who was the best.
    That is all.
    Everyone knows you're now in charge.
    But don't be a twat
    It only looked as if he did. I know him well by now.

18. Likes plastikdreams liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It only looked as if he did. I know him well by now.
    You don't know me any more than the next guy. This thread was on track until you had to come in with your inability to shut up and derailed it into this. Just like you do all over this forum. Fuck you, I tried to defend you and hope for the best but alas I was wrong, I'm going to unsubscribe to all these threads in metrology and forget the section and your points exists. Oh and I reported your second post as well for being off topic.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't know me any more than the next guy. This thread was on track until you had to come in with your inability to shut up and derailed it into this. Just like you do all over this forum. Fuck you, I tried to defend you and hope for the best but alas I was wrong, I'm going to unsubscribe to all these threads in metrology and forget the section and your points exists. Oh and I reported your second post as well for being off topic.
    I wish you goodbye and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's all just a matter of what you need and how much you are willing to pay. In most countries it's the company that buys and not the machinist.
    The U.S. varies from many other countries when it comes to who owns the tools. Mechanics and machinists have traditionally owned their own hand tools, with the shop providing heavier equipment. This is also generally true for carpenters, cabinetmakers, gunsmiths, and other skilled trades.

Part of the reason may be job mobility as U.S. workers seem to change employers more often. I think it is also based on a long-standing tradition of skilled workers not wishing to share tools with coworkers who may have different standards re upkeep of tools.

22. Likes camscan, Gordon B. Clarke, RJT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    The U.S. varies from many other countries when it comes to who owns the tools. Mechanics and machinists have traditionally owned their own hand tools, with the shop providing heavier equipment. This is also generally true for carpenters, cabinetmakers, gunsmiths, and other skilled trades.

Part of the reason may be job mobility as U.S. workers seem to change employers more often. I think it is also based on a long-standing tradition of skilled workers not wishing to share tools with coworkers who may have different standards re upkeep of tools.
    Those are good reasons for owning your own tools, and it likely used to be the same over here.

However the preference for having company owned tools is purely a quality driven one. Traceability is difficult/impossible to maintain and prove when everyone has their own tools.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those are good reasons for owning your own tools, and it likely used to be the same over here.

However the preference for having company owned tools is purely a quality driven one. Traceability is difficult/impossible to maintain and prove when everyone has their own tools.
    Operators with their own tools, usually don't like a gauge number being engraved on their own equipment!
    But yes, it is usually a company specified requirement for operators inspection equipment to be traceable, and quite rightly so IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Years ago Mitutoyo were THE BRAND for quality. They are still excellent but like you I no longer regard them as the best. They (Mitutoyo) certainly still have a very good reputation so I guess most stick with what they know.

I have never consider Mitutoyo the best in quality in mics, calipers or indicators.
    Durable workhorses at a reasonable price and if you use stuff a lot and replace it every few years a good deal.

I've owned digital 0-1s since the days of the original P&W which used a glass scale and a sliding head.
    Bulky, plug in the wall, expensive and before the days of personal computers but I bought 6 of them as the digital readout made it easier for my employees and time is money.
    The quick turn mic in my view is a game changer and the best thing since sliced bread but of course only works in digital.
    If you have not used one of these when you need check to multiple dimensions you will not understand.

When holding one number all day long I've taken Chinese made indicator type mics and replaced the internal indicator with a LVDT .
    Better would probably to do the same with a set of Etalons but who wants to gut a set of these and hope you get it right and since the dim is fixed all that other good stuff on the screw end is of no matter.

When I worked in an old gage house selling lots of mics, indicators and such my boss just hated Mitutoyo and would spit blood ant the mention of the name.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems entirely reasonable to ask what mic is best, when someone says Mitutoyo is good, but not the best.

And, I'd also be interested to know why Sylvac would be better than the top of the Mitutoyo line?

In the old manual mic days, I'd put the Etalon Microrapid mics up as "best." They had a quick closing screw made to incredible precision, super easy to read markings, a near perfect friciton thimble AND a speeder on the end. I have a few around, likely over 50 years old, that still work flawlessly. Seems the latest Mitutoyo digitals now do all that and add a digital readout?