Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^Talking about the old days....in 1983...my weeks wages went to buy an analogue 0>1 mic.
    All i could afford was a Draper, tenths, with carbide tips. It was £25.
    BUT... the anvils were better quality than the Inspection dept Tesa mics.
    Measured with the inspection depts optical flats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Operators with their own tools, usually don't like a gauge number being engraved on their own equipment!
    But yes, it is usually a company specified requirement for operators inspection equipment to be traceable, and quite rightly so IMHO.
    At a previous employer, I was in charge of the calibration, and we calibrated ALL employee-owned and company-owned precision measuring equipment. We used different numbering schemes for employee-owned and company-owned measuring tools, so it was simple to determine who owned any tool. The tool number was not engraved on the tool, but was on the calibration label. All this was spelled out in our internal procedures, and we never had any issues during customer audits.
    While keeping track of employee-owned tools can be challenging, it IS do-able.

3. Likes RJT, barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
    At a previous employer, I was in charge of the calibration, and we calibrated ALL employee-owned and company-owned precision measuring equipment. We used different numbering schemes for employee-owned and company-owned measuring tools, so it was simple to determine who owned any tool. The tool number was not engraved on the tool, but was on the calibration label. All this was spelled out in our internal procedures, and we never had any issues during customer audits.
    While keeping track of employee-owned tools can be challenging, it IS do-able.
    I don't disagree, and I operate a similar-ish setup here. We don't separate serial numbers, but our database allows for owners and designated users etc.

It's just an added complication that some places don't want to deal with. It's easy for me because we are small and it's not a big deal to get everyone on board about it. But places with large numbers of employees it is much less trivial getting everyone to follow procedures and trace that they actually are doing so.

Regarding engraving numbers on employees' equipment - been there done that. Everything made in the last few decades has a serial number on it from the factory, so we just use that now. Stickers on the cases, not on the instrument.

When I first started here I was not in charge of stuff like this. I had some of my own mics, and the foreman at the time took it upon himself to engrave company numbers on them without asking me, even though they all had factory serial numbers. I was so absolutely furious about that that handed in my notice. Luckily our manager at the time was a level headed guy and he talked me down.

5. Likes CarbideBob, Eric M liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    In the old manual mic days, I'd put the Etalon Microrapid mics up as "best." They had a quick closing screw made to incredible precision, super easy to read markings, a near perfect friciton thimble AND a speeder on the end.
    I was gonna chide Carbide on missing the microrapid but you beat me to it

Oddly, I loves them Etalons but did not like the Microrapids so much. I generally used the normal ones ... or the 0-1 indicating version for grinding.

Unless you are doing SPC, you'd have to pry those analog Etalons from my cold dead hands ....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not in the market but would likely go with Mitutoyo or Starrett just because I have used and liked a number of their products.
    I would look for the lever lock because I like that feature so I can one hand measure and lock at an odd place measurement.
    With the whole shop using my tools I would go with the name brand mid range price..

Wow there are many out there.
    https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/digital...ters?offset=40

interesting one of plastic and not even a micrometer...
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/0-150MM-E...lver/239333944

Good it has a lever lock
    Test, Measurement & Inspection | Micrometers | Mitutoyo 293-130 Digimatic 0-1"/25.4MM High Accuracy Sub-Micron Digital Micrometer W/Data Output | B836843 - GLOBALindustrial.com

looks like one can go from $40 bucks to near $2K for a one inch micrometer.
    bargain brand: https://www.walmart.com/ip/WEN-Stand...Case/219982487

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    interesting one of plastic and not even a micrometer...
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/0-150MM-E...lver/239333944
    I usually have one similar in my pocket (although only 100mm/4") when "browsing" in hardware stores for "stuff".

About the only problem is that it weighs so little I often forget to take it out of my pocket when I get home. Never ended in the washing machine so far!

100mm 4inch lcd digital electronic carbon fiber vernier caliper gauge micrometer ruler Sale - Banggood.com

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: shop owned and shop inspected measuring tools mentioned in this thread....

I wonder how many times the guys/gals could drop an $1800 micrometer before it goes out of whack.

20 machinists so needing perhaps ten 1“ micrometers.

Tools need to be re checked every time they go to the crib.

Some problem with shop owned measuring tools.

I know shop owned measuring tools is becoming the drill in many shops world wide.

Last shop I worked at provide me with two sets of Jo Blocks, one utility and one set high precision.
    Actually the inspection department provided them not the company, because I was so often asked to make gauges.
    That was appreciated because I was not going to buy these expensive tools.
    That I could keep them locked up assured that they would not be abused.
    It is hard to beat JoBlocks for close work.
    With a good plate one can get down to 6-12 millionths...and on a good day near zero.

10. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post

About the only problem is that it weighs so little I often forget to take it out of my pocket when I get home. Never ended in the washing machine so far!
    My old Starrett 0-1 ''mechanical'' mic has been found in the refrigerator …………………. more than once

12. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    It would have been very difficult to assemble my race engines if my micrometers were at my employers shop.
    If I needed *my* tools for home shop use, I just took them home, and used them. Brought them back later, til I'd acquired another set.

14. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Traceability is difficult/impossible to maintain and prove when everyone has their own tools.
    The old shop calibrated personal tools every three months, it's not impossible, I wouldn't even say impractical, and no, they weren't engraved, just a tiny sticker.
    Last edited by machinistrrt; 11-26-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling

16. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machinistrrt View Post
    The old shop calibrated personal tools every three months, it's not impossible, I wouldn't even say impractical, and no, they weren't engraved, just a tiny sticker.
    Yes, but proving that if something $$$ goes awry later on, that's the difficult part. If nothing is allowed in the shop but shop-owned tools, the paper trail is much easier.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Yes, but proving that if something $$$ goes awry later on, that's the difficult part. If nothing is allowed in the shop but shop-owned tools, the paper trail is much easier.
    Shop owned should be easier but, as you mention, it all depends on detail of the paper trail. If you know "who done it" and with what then it shouldn't make any difference.

Who used what can be critical. If it is then it should be noted.

Re "engraving". I don't know how it is in all countries but getting a company to take something back that has been "mutilated" isn't something many will do. It certainly eliminates repair and resell. I like stickers and serial numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I would guess they had a procedure for it, but don't know it. FWIW, the inspectors would never change your mic adjustment, but bring it to you, so you could do it, a proper process. The only issue I ever had was my dial calipers wore out- the jaw adjustment was used up. The company replaced them with like kind so no squawks emitted or received. I thought it a nice touch.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Limy and camscan, try emailing each other or use PM (Private Message) instead of this forum.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So i politely reply to one post adding information regarding Aerospace standard working practice for micrometer identification, and then politely correct your comment regarding similar, and they're both deleted.
    And you kept criticising another (ex) moderator and you're now doing worse.
    Sheesh!

22. Likes Dualkit, camscan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really like the mitutoyo for digital and starrett for the mechanical digital.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    So i politely reply to one post adding information regarding Aerospace standard working practice for micrometer identification, and then politely correct your comment regarding similar, and they're both deleted.
    And you kept criticising another (ex) moderator and you're now doing worse.
    Sheesh!
    Politely? Post what you want in other fora (or what you can get away with) but keep what you post in this one relevant. Please don't reply to this post.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MoriMillMan View Post
    I really like the mitutoyo for digital and starrett for the mechanical digital.
    What's a "mechanical digital"?

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's a "mechanical digital"?
    IMHO a nicer instrument than a full analogue micrometer.
    Not as nice as a full digital, but nearly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Politely? Post what you want in other fora (or what you can get away with) but keep what you post in this one relevant. Please don't reply to this post.

If I was to tell you what I really think of that reply, you would have me banned, ..................….and I'm not giving you that pleasure.

28. Likes barbter, Dualkit, camscan liked this post