What's new
What's new

Digital precision level

SirRage

Aluminum
I need to get a precision level and was looking at maybe getting a digital one over a bubble level. Wanted to see what people thought about that idea.

I was looking at getting either a Digi-Pas DWL1500XY or DWL3000XY. The advertised accuracy is ±0.0004”/ft for the 1500 and ±0.0002”/ft for the 3000 model.

Item link on Amazon: http://a.co/f7nQ6I4

Why in the hell would anyone want to do that ? It's like buying an electronic shoe-tying machine. A stupid gimmick that will be totally useless and broken within two years. Junk.

Good luck reading your bubble when you’re underneath a big machine tweaking the leveling screws.

I could get a Mitutoyo 960-613 Precision Level, 0.00024" /12". It goes for close to the same price. This one's a bubble level

I would do the bubble level. It is easy to understand and you can calibrate it down the road if need be. Unless the vial breaks you should ba able to use it forever, more than can be said for electronics.

I have a nice 2tenths in 10" bubble level, and one of the high end digipass levels (forget which model, it's a few years old.)

The standard bubble level is easier to understand, easier to calibrate, and always good to have.

The digipass can show you 2 dimensions at once, and display them on a PC app quite a distance away - which is a big deal leveling a lathe.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT SOFTWARE TO DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO WITH THE LEVEL YOU BUY, AND GET THE DONGLE THAT GOES WITH IT. It's easy to get this wrong, you don't have to ask me how I know...

That said, for general machine leveling, I prefer the high end digipas, especially when working alone.

(Digipass also makes a cheap cute level digital level is this very handy, but is a carpenter's level rather than a machine setup level.)

the only time i prefer a electronic level is
1) i have electronic level bolted to machine connected to a laptop computer recording readings like every second or every minute or every hour to determine a operating machine if its level is staying stable. often though if machine vibrating you cannot get a good reading.
2) i need a specific degree setting like 45 degree. or i need to zero level to what ever it is now and move a component and see if level the same. hard to describe
3) if electronic level has adjustable sensitivity like 0.1 or 0.01 or .001 degree this can save being off scale of the level vial
all levels need the vee base and the 2nd cross level. basically if level on a cylinder visualize main level not parallel to vee base. as you rotate level on cylinder top you will see main level vial reading change alot unless it is adjusted calibrated to be parallel to vee base
notice 2nd picture main level vial one end adjustable up and down and other end adjustable side to side to make parallel to vee base
ANY level with no VEE base and 2nd cross level is of limited value. even on a sloped granite surface plate a 2nd cross vial to test main vial parallel is needed, hard to describe but main reason some often get non repeating readings

Attachments

• LevelFrame.JPG
    LevelFrame.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 432
  • LevelLowprofile.jpg
    LevelLowprofile.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 373
the only time i prefer a electronic level is
1) i have electronic level bolted to machine connected to a laptop computer recording readings like every second or every minute or every hour to determine a operating machine if its level is staying stable. often though if machine vibrating you cannot get a good reading.
2) i need a specific degree setting like 45 degree. or i need to zero level to what ever it is now and move a component and see if level the same. hard to describe
3) if electronic level has adjustable sensitivity like 0.1 or 0.01 or .001 degree this can save being off scale of the level vial
all levels need the vee base and the 2nd cross level. basically if level on a cylinder visualize main level not parallel to vee base. as you rotate level on cylinder top you will see main level vial reading change alot unless it is adjusted calibrated to be parallel to vee base
notice 2nd picture main level vial one end adjustable up and down and other end adjustable side to side to make parallel to vee base
ANY level with no VEE base and 2nd cross level is of limited value. even on a sloped granite surface plate a 2nd cross vial to test main vial parallel is needed, hard to describe but main reason some often get non repeating readings

When I read some of the posts I realize some members are getting old and some buy cheap. Digital technique gets better every year. Think about how your computer was 10 years ago or how your mobile phone was back then.

The computer I'm using for this is less than 3 months old, my mobile phone less than 6 months but I do have an old (3 years) iPad.

Has anyone compared the digital levels to a quality bubble level?

Have to admit, I don't trust a lot of digital inspection equipment. I do trust my Starrett master level, but getting up/down off the floor is getting harder.

Like so many things how good a digital level is depends on what it costs. You'd have to be very naive to think that one at $50 is just as good as one at $250.

Using Technology to Expand a Level's Accuracy Beyond Perception | Trade Articles | Johnson Level & Tool Mfg Company

From that link:

"Although less accurate than a quality laser level, a quality digital level, which measures slope, has an accuracy of plus or minus 0.1 degrees when measuring horizontal and when a laser beam is attached, the accuracy can be plus or minus 1/4 inch (0.25 inches) per 100 feet; over 4 times more accurate than a spirit level. This level of accuracy, again imperceptible to humans, is achieved through either inclinometer or accelerometer technology to display "level" on an LCD screen within hundredths of a degree. Some digital levels, however, still retain the spirit level vial for those users who want the traditional approach to double-check their work. The cost of a quality digital level ranges between $150 and $250, with other versions under $100."

Another link:

Investigating the accuracy of digital levels and reflectorless total stations for purposes of geodetic engineering - ScienceDirect

Because it is a Starrett level and I trust it, vs something made in china which may well be accurate today but not tomorrow. And because hardware store bubble levels are not quality levels, would you have preferred machinist level?

I have had a Starrett master precision level for over 30 years. Each division is .0005 per foot. A digital precision level for $250 would be a bargain. And I would check the final level against the Starrett. I have also seen digital test indicators that have a remote wireless readout. Would be nice in the spindle of a machine not having to use a mirror to read the indicator. But for most things the spindle probe is easier to use. I once borrowed my Starrett level to a friend who wanted to level his 3 piece slate pool table. He spent all day and finally gave up and used a carpenters level.

Because it is a Starrett level and I trust it, vs something made in china which may well be accurate today but not tomorrow. And because hardware store bubble levels are not quality levels, would you have preferred machinist level?

Exactly where do you think Starrett gets most (no, not all) of their measuring equipment from? What you are doing is trusting the name and assuming it is US made. Ever heard of something called "outsourcing"?

https://www.gobankingrates.com/savi...rican-brands-products-actually-made-overseas/

This isn't just something I've read or heard. I've seen it with my own eyes and not just in China.

My Starrett level was made in the USA over 30 years ago, and in the 30 years I've owned it I have sent it out for calibration twice, it only needed adjustment once. You think a digital unit is going to preform that well over time?

Back