What's new
What's new

DIY optical tool setter for my lathe

Nick Mueller

Titanium
Hi!

I have built an optical tools setter for my Haas TL-2 CNC lathe.
The camera (CCD) has a 400 times magnification. Monitor has 200 mm. Movements of 1 µm can be seen on the screen. Cross-hair painted onto the screen with a felt tip. I also wrote the numbers for the tool radius compensation onto the screen (always forget them). :rolleyes5:

The device can be removed from the lathe and is held in position by 3 cones (hardened and ground) that also do have a flat surface as a lengthwise stop. I simply drilled some holes and cut a few threads into the spindle stock for the cones. Repeatability of the device is about 0.01 mm.
The mating surface for the cone was cast with DWH from Diamant (the makers of Moglice) in situ.

Here is the video.

Also demonstrated is the repeatability of a Multifix QCTP that is at about 2 µm.

If you have any questions, don't ask. :D

Nick

Oh the camera, yes.
I asked a friend to give me one and adopt it. It's part of his job and hobby. Next time, I would use a 200 * magnification.
I didn't want to use a USB camera, as it would require a PC. Not the most logic way. Also, they often lack fixed magnification.

The LCD is one for surveillance. I'm using the BAS-input. Power for the camera is taken off of the LCD.

Nick

That's a really nice fixture. Is it battery powered? While reading your post, I thought there would be a PC, power cables, etc., but no. Very nice.

No, it has a wall wart with 12V to the LCD. But just one cable (you can see it on the vid).
I wanted to keep it as compact as possible, so another vote against a PC.
No booting, no "No keyboard found, press F1 to continue", "Battery low, BIOS corrupted" etc.

Nick

Old thread...but bumped for a question.
You showed the repeatability of the QCTP...
What is the repeatability of the camera mount?
Or is it able to live through being inside the cell during operation.

Back