DRO PROS Display and adapting a Sino (?) scale
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default DRO PROS Display and adapting a Sino (?) scale

Hi, I had a DRO PROS scale stop working. At first I thought it was contamination because it would stop counting at close to the same spot. After careful cleaning, the problem repeated. So I bought a new scale which didn't work at all. I think the 9 pin Sub D connector is wired differently. Anyway, I pulled the reader carriage out of the non working scale and installed it on the new glass scale. The problem FOLLOWED the reader...it stops counting at around the same place. So I'm back to trying to get the replacement scale working. The replacement scale has no manufacturer or part number on it, or a wiring diagram. Does anyone have any idea how to wire this generic Chinese scale to the DRO Pros display? Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DRO-Pros are made by a Chinese company Easson, they use a typical 5V TTL quadrature protocol. The generic scale you have is probably wired differently from Easson and without looking inside of it, the pinout can only be guessed. You can send it to ZS instruments in Lafayette, IN and our engineer will figure out the wiring and convert it to DRO Pros/Easson for you.

Though it might not be worth the efforts. Without going into too many details or giving trade secrets away, I can tell you that all glass scales made in China are based on the same cheap and flawed design which makes them prone to premature aging. That's on top of a low accuracy glass and remarkably poor workmanship.

Most Chinese reader heads will die after a few years, even if hardly ever used. So unless you enjoy constantly buying those as well as spending time installing and aligning scales instead of making chips, I would recommend a quality replacement. ZS instruments LE series scales are reasonably priced and we can wire them to work with the DRO PROs monitor.

3. Likes neanderthal mach liked this post
    Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The company Sino uses two different scale interfaces. One is single-ended RS232 and the other is differential EIA422. Here are the pinouts, differential EIA422 on top and single-ended RS232 below. Pin numbering is standard DB9.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    The company Sino uses two different scale interfaces. One is single-ended RS232 and the other is differential EIA422. Here are the pinouts, differential EIA422 on top and single-ended RS232 below. Pin numbering is standard DB9.

This is the same as Easson/DROPros. While some of those scales come with a differential EIA422 output, we are yet to see a single low cost DRO which would actually use the benefits of EIA422 as all of them rely on a single ended portion only.
    Pull Up Now stated that "replacement scale has no manufacturer or part number on it" and assumed it's Sino, but turns out it's something else with a different pinout.