What's new
What's new

Dro scale/reader head, horizontal orientation?

sam_stlouis

Cast Iron
I have an hlvh lathe with mitotoyo dro, older 572 series's. The cross feed scale was never installed, still new. I want to put it on. The best and easiest way to mount it would be with it laying horizontal with reader head sticking out the side with a mounting Block under the reader bracket. The owners manual says to mount scale on either side in a vertical fashion so reader head hangs under it. It says not to lay it on the side with head in horizontal plane.
Does anyone know why this would be an issue. I hope my explanation makes sense. I can post a pic if needed, when I'm at my computer
Thanks sam

Two reasons:

1: To prevent ingress of foreign debris, and to an allow a route out if any fluid makes it's way in.

2: The effects of gravity over time. The scale itself is a thin glass strip, suspended (usually in a pliable material) from the top of the interior of the housing. The reader head has bearings that run directly on the glass either side. Mount it horizontally and you incur the risk of the glass scale sagging over the years, or the bearings being loaded unequally.

The entire design is oriented around being mounted vertically.

thanks, I figured contamination was one of the reasons. But with a cover and no coolant I figured I was ok on that.
I did not know about the glass scale sagging, thanks for letting me know. I guess this applies to all glass scales, does it matter on none glass scales maybe brand to brand. I wonder if I can find a smaller scale for the cross slide that is compatible with my readout. Im not worried about it enough to buy a whole new system, Ill see if I can somewhat cleanly mount my scale in the proper orientation first, then maybe call newall and see if any of there scales are compatible and if so look for a used scale.
thanks
sam

Back