What's new
What's new

DTI .0001 or better with long tip

specfab

Titanium
Any recommendations for specific models of dial test indicators that are long tip versions (approx 1.5" tip length) and .0001 or better resolution? Those two parameters don't seem to be together in a single unit very often. Thanks --

You can stick a double length point on an Interapid, but it halves your resolution. So a .0001" indicator becomes a .0002" indicator for instance. I haven't seen a whole lot of long point higher resolution indicators for whatever reason. I do have an older Tesa digital test indicator that's good for .00005" resolution and that has a pretty long point, about what you're looking for. I'd check with Mahr and Tesa.

Yeah I don't think you'll get _better_ than 0.0001, especially with an extended point. You're in higher tech territory than a DTI there.

I use Interapids 0.002mm all the time, always chuffed when I get no movement on the dial, but as a machinist/watchmaker I realize that through all that linkage and gearing I'm in a 0.002 "range" at that point.

Agree that Mahr is who you need. Probably need to open your wallet and possibly spread some cheeks (well not really the cheeks, you get true value from Mahr, but it'll hurt).

Of course if you breath or ate Mexican for lunch or have over 50% humidity or slept more than 5 hours all bets are off even with Mahr.

Mahr, Mitutoyo, and some others have expensive "lever type LVDT test indicators" with options that should get you to the contact tip length/accuracy requirements you have, but you'll pay for the privilege. Like this, for a basic head (not including readout):

MAHR Millimar Inductive Lever-Type Test Indicator 1318 - 5313180 - Penn Tool Co., Inc

https://www.mitutoyo.co.jp/eng/support/service/catalog/05/E13003.pdf

Given the number of options available, might be best to call and get help from an applications engineer to pick the right setup.

What about this one?

Its the long needle version of this:
54-562-777_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I have both versions and like them. BUT.....despite the little bar graph, its not the same as watching a needle jump around. Much easier to get an average value with a needle than a number. Just MHO.

That's the same one as the Tesa I mentioned having earlier. And I totally agree about the needle being easier to quickly visually discriminate. Pretty sure that Fowler is a rebranded Tesa.

I had a tenths Alina with a long point and big dial. It was built like a tank and accurate as all getout. I loved that thing. No idea who actually made them, I think Alina was just a brand ? but once in a while I've seen them for sale used. If you see one, GRAB IT !!

Thanks for all the info -- I'll sort through and see what works.

Regarding the Alina, I also think they may have had some Compac connection. I have a Compac in the shop that is .0001 resolution and large travel range, works extremely well. No long tip, though.

On the Fowler/Tesa unit, that looks like one I had in a previous company, I think it was Fowler's Sylvac label. I have looked for that recently, but didn't find it. Need to look again with different search terms...

I have a Vindicator test indicator. I don't have other size tips to try but it is programmable for different length tips. Not sure what that does to the resolution or accuracy.
It has a remote readout and works really good for setting up drive shafts and cranks in machines.

Dave

Back