What's new
What's new

FARO Arm software suggestions and estimated cost

Utry2win

Aluminum
We are looking at a used FARO arm for portable shop measurement use. This used arm does not include software. Trying to figure out additional cost of supporting software for the arm. I'm in a time crunch for numbers, due to a quick possible purchase, and I'm not getting a response from my local FARO rep yet. I on;y need touch probing capabilities, and I'm not stuck on anyone's particular software. What do you use and why? Estimated cost?

Thanks

Well an update, I did get a response from Faro. The local rep was very helpful, and gave me quite a bit of information. Faro CAM2 software is between $8000-$8500 for probing only, including 3 days of training. This is a perpetual license with optional maintenance at around $1200/yearly. Overall, this is about what I was expecting to hear. Faro arm users out there, what software do you use/prefer and why? We use Solidworks for all of our CAD work, if that is an important piece of information.

We are looking at a used FARO arm for portable shop measurement use. This used arm does not include software. Trying to figure out additional cost of supporting software for the arm. I'm in a time crunch for numbers, due to a quick possible purchase, and I'm not getting a response from my local FARO rep yet. I on;y need touch probing capabilities, and I'm not stuck on anyone's particular software. What do you use and why? Estimated cost?

Thanks

DearUtry,
what I suggest you is Polyworks in the manual version base. Is about 9k€. Alternatively you can use other software like ARCO (from metrostaff) but it depends what you need to do with your arm. If you want you can contact me with private message.

The default software (can't recall name right now) is actually not that bad. I would think it's less than $5K, since it's pretty basic.

The biggest issue is part of what you stated above: the dealer isn't returning your calls.

Actually, he returned my call in a reasonable time, I was simply under a time crunch to have an answer. He got back to me the same day I contacted them, and was very helpful. We were looking at an arm that was in an ebay auction, and had only a few hours left when we found it. Sent everything into a whirlwind trying to gather information. So, to set the record straight, Faro did a fine job getting back to me, I was the one who was in a hurry. Thier BASIC CAM2 software package is $8500 and that's for probing only. If your looking to have a scanner and use point clouds to generate models, you will have to upgrade to a more expensive package.

Back