What's new
What's new

Fritz Studer Sine Center

Pali

Aluminum
Hi,

This unit just landed up at my place and since we also make special toolings we can use it to check the angle of our taper plug or taper ring gages. However the manuals didn't come along. Its no Rocket Science to understand the working of this equipment, however i was wondering if any of you have ever used such Sine Centers and if any one has a User Manual to this. I have a picture of this equipment, how do i attach the photo, please advice.

Pali

Last edited:
You can't attach a photo when you make your original post (for reasons unknown).

You can edit your original post, and add the pic. Or post a second time (you won't have problems attaching then).

Please post a pic. I'm curious.

Pali --

I don't recall ever seeing any kind of User Manual for a Sine Center, which is essentially a Bench Center built on a Sine Bar. I suspect that Sine Center makers figured that the person who knew enough to know that there is such a thing as a Sine Center, and that he needed one, wouldn't need a User Manual.

The only significant tips I can offer are to be sure you know 1) how much shim (spacer, adjustable parallel, gage block stack), if any, is needed to set the centerline of the centers parallel with the base of the Sine Center, and 2) how far apart are the Roll centers. (A Small Angle Generator -- one form of which is essentially a Sine Bar with nominal Roll spacing of 20.6265 inch, to generate a tilt of 1 arcsecond per 0.0001 inch of shim -- is uncannily easy to mistake for a 20 inch Sine Bar.)

John

Fritz Studer Sine Center.jpgStuder Bench Centers.jpg

finally figured out the way to attach the pictures, meanwhile any close ups required, will attach them too.

please feel free to ask further questions.

regards

Pali

That's quite a nice item. Since Studer makes cylindrical grinders, it's logical they would make a measurement accessory for same.

If you know (with certainty) the roll-to-roll spacing on the sine bar everything else is the same as any other sine bar.

It appears the measuring instrument would be a dial indicator, which seems logical.
You could get a high level of accuracy with that combination.

- Leigh

As you can observe in the second picture, I've worked out the size of slip block that need to be placed below.

However the unit that holds the Dial has a Dia 16 Bore, while most Dial Comparators [Mahr Millimess/Supramess] come with Dia 8 Shank, Will probably make an intermediate sleeve to hold the Dial.

Will attach the closeup in a while. The Holder for the Dial is eccentric, may be to get the high point of the shaft.

regards

Pali

Leigh

The Mahr Millimess is from our Shop floor.

We use this to check the Runouts on our Spindles that we manufacture. In Final Inspection and during manufacture stage on machine to check.

Thank you all for your inputs.

regards

Pali

Back