What's new
What's new

GD&T help needed. Box with line through it in relation to True Position

AARONT

Stainless
Can someone tell me what the meaning of the rectangle box with the line through it is?

This is off of a print from 1976 and is noted Geometric Symbols Per USASI Y14.5. I'm not finding anything on the Google, and I talked to the customer and they have no idea. There is also no rev change on that feature.

Thanks!Weird GD&T Symbol.jpg

I'm forced to assume that that's a clerical error and they mean US ASME Y14.5, which was only implemented in 1973.

I've never seen that symbol before, but it looks like a graphic for "Not Applicable" to me. What's Datum V? Is it possible that it has no relation to the keyway, so that's an N/A for its tolerance?

I take that back, the original standard was ANSI Y14.5, which was superseded by ASME Y14.5. So yeah, that's definitely a typographical error. I'm digging to see if I can find a better answer for you.

I'm forced to assume that that's a clerical error and they mean US ASME Y14.5, which was only implemented in 1973.

I've never seen that symbol before, but it looks like a graphic for "Not Applicable" to me. What's Datum V? Is it possible that it has no relation to the keyway, so that's an N/A for its tolerance?

I was thinking the same. Especially since it is where a value should be.

We're going to put them in in the same op, so they should easily be within a couple thou of each other anyway. So I'm not too worried. Thanks for checking!

Per Wiki-
USASI Y14.5-1966
Succeeded by ANSI Y14.5-1973
Preceded by ASA Y14.5-1957

Looks to me like it's N/A on account of controlling a thru hole and therefore position being irrelevant. Missed opportunity for parallelism though, unless that is called out elsewhere.

I take that back, the original standard was ANSI Y14.5, which was superseded by ASME Y14.5. So yeah, that's definitely a typographical error. I'm digging to see if I can find a better answer for you.

I don't think it was an error, the drawing was made with symbols from USASI Y14.5 1966 "Dimensional Tolerancing for Engineering Drawings." You can find a copy of it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Dimensioning-Tolerancing-Engineering-Mechanical-Engineers/dp/B001RS3IFI

It is also listed in the inside cover of ANSI Y14.5M-1973: IMG_4616.jpg

Seeing as it was drawn by hand, is it the original revision? I do have to agree that it likely just means not applicable.

Thanks for the input guys.

pb1- The only Rev changes have been to heat treat and material. So unless I hear otherwise, N/A it is.

:cheers:

I think this, the Z is Perpendicular to the face, ie Z. V is the position to the top hole. I think it could be Like '0 MMC'. X is the size difference allowable between the two Keyways slots. More of a hunch though.

Back