Login to Your Account
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default GD&T professional development resources

Hey guys,

Where do ya go when you want to be a metrology expert?

Every CMM dealership offers a one week class or something, but whatís the next step up? A fella I work with is an absolute wiz with PC-DMIS and Iíve learned tons from him. I have a lot of tools at my disposal to play around with general GD&T, but I donít see much in the name of formal education. Hell thereís not even an elective in engineering courses, or at least I havenít seen looking up in course descriptions. Or Iím just not looking up the right buzz words; Iíd love to be proven wrong.

Where did you guys go? Was it mostly on the job? Or do you just read Y14.5 and call it a day?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For me OJT, 15 years in drafting. 5 of that as lead checker. I've been working that past 4-5 years as a CMM programmer slash metrologist. Yes, its even more fun, figuring out how GD&T actually works.
    I believe there are two Universities that have a Metrology program. One of the Carolina Unis and one in Cali.

3. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy a book(s). I'd recommend a couple to you but I am in ISO land, not familiar with ASME, at least not enough to recommend any reading material to anyone.

Also go and make an account at CMMGuys Forum - Powered by vBulletin. It's nice to have some discussion about the topic here I guess, but so few participate. That forum is a much better resource.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Buy a book(s). I'd recommend a couple to you but I am in ISO land, not familiar with ASME, at least not enough to recommend any reading material to anyone.

Also go and make an account at CMMGuys Forum - Powered by vBulletin. It's nice to have some discussion about the topic here I guess, but so few participate. That forum is a much better resource.
    I tried registering; havenít seen a confirmation email and it wonít let me bug the admins until Iím confirmed. Looks like a good forum though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderskunk View Post
    Hell there’s not even an elective in engineering courses, or at least I haven’t seen looking up in course descriptions. Or I’m just not looking up the right buzz words; I’d love to be proven wrong.

Where did you guys go? Was it mostly on the job? Or do you just read Y14.5 and call it a day?

Thanks
    In my case, it was the evening CAD/CAM and Metrology courses at the local community college; could be taken stand-alone, or as part of the engineering program.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 75sv1 View Post
    For me OJT, 15 years in drafting. 5 of that as lead checker. I've been working that past 4-5 years as a CMM programmer slash metrologist. Yes, its even more fun, figuring out how GD&T actually works.
    I believe there are two Universities that have a Metrology program. One of the Carolina Unis and one in Cali.
    It can be a complete minefield.
    I've worked with a lot of prints where the guy drawing them didn't really understand what he was "splashing on there".

OP - books for #1.
    Perhaps there's some youtube vids - IDK.
    PM me and i'll send you what I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    It can be a complete minefield.
    I've worked with a lot of prints where the guy drawing them didn't really understand what he was "splashing on there".

OP - books for #1.
    Perhaps there's some youtube vids - IDK.
    PM me and i'll send you what I have.
    Yeah, I know. I was told I did 2699 releases in a year. I was lead checker. Just has a casting drawing the other day. Machining data and casting data on the same view. People who have never machined a part in their life think they know it all. Yeah, been there.

9. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More to the metrology side of things and less to the parts inspection are some of the specific forums at;

Quality Forum and Business Standards Discussions

Particularly these forums;
    Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc.

General Metrology, Measurement Device, Calibration and Test Laboratories

ASQ also has some training available;
    Metrology & Calibration Training & Courses | ASQ