Has anyone purchased any Tesa Measuring equipment recently? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like they've killed off this line. No sign of them on the Tesa website. Makes sense, as it's really a redundant product now that digitals have become the norm for higher resolution micrometers.

I guess you got one of the last ones out the door, or possibly a reject/second that was hanging around in inventory.

Tesa are still good, but I don't think much of their line is actually made in Switzerland any more, at least not in it's entirety - Swiss law is strict about how you can apply the "Swiss Made" markings.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by William Payne View Post
    The older ones are absolutely beautiful works of art. An old boss of mine had some older ones and that was what I based my Tesa expectations on as they were incredible.
    To be honest, although they were nicely made I could never stand them. Those slant-lines suck, imo.

Some people like that tho ....

Country
    NEW ZEALAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    It looks like they've killed off this line. No sign of them on the Tesa website. Makes sense, as it's really a redundant product now that digitals have become the norm for higher resolution micrometers.

I guess you got one of the last ones out the door, or possibly a reject/second that was hanging around in inventory.

Tesa are still good, but I don't think much of their line is actually made in Switzerland any more, at least not in it's entirety - Swiss law is strict about how you can apply the "Swiss Made" markings.
    I noticed them not being on the website as well but they are still in the catalogue. I have Mitutoyo mics in the same resolution (not digital), Tesa was always talked about as the best of the best and had always wanted one. Not much of a digital guy. Iím sure Iíll have to buy digital mics one day but vernier scales arenít that hard to read in .001mm resolution. I worked in a Mould,tool and die shop for 7 years and the only digital metrology equipment we used were callipers and a height gauge.

Country
    NEW ZEALAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I heard back from Tesa. They have changed the colour schemes and branding. They seem to have removed all the Swiss made logos from their products.

You guys will have to excuse me if this all sounds a bit crazy. My old boss had older Tesaís and Etalonís. When I was starting out I used to open the mic draw all the time to look at those things. Always wanted my own, just a bit disappointed about the changes within that brand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JMO, but you should leave the "new" mics with your vendor (refunded, of course), and bite the bullet and get Mits digitals. So convenient being able to set arbitrary "0" for parts inspection, then return to absolute with the push of a button.

And there's the whole in/mm bit, but that's probably of less interest to you. How about SPC capability? Not something I see with old fashioned micrometers (duh?).

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My old boss had older Tesaís and Etalonís.
    You're not going to like this, but I don't think the new Etalons are as nice as they used to be, either.

Eventually, everything gets gobbled up by Bain Capital.

Country
    NEW ZEALAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    JMO, but you should leave the "new" mics with your vendor (refunded, of course), and bite the bullet and get Mits digitals. So convenient being able to set arbitrary "0" for parts inspection, then return to absolute with the push of a button.

And there's the whole in/mm bit, but that's probably of less interest to you. How about SPC capability? Not something I see with old fashioned micrometers (duh?).
    It depends on what you are doing. Iíll go digital when I need to.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    No wonder Etalon went downhill in the mid-eighties

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I heard back from Tesa. They have changed the colour schemes and branding. They seem to have removed all the Swiss made logos from their products.

You guys will have to excuse me if this all sounds a bit crazy. My old boss had older Tesa’s and Etalon’s. When I was starting out I used to open the mic draw all the time to look at those things. Always wanted my own, just a bit disappointed about the changes within that brand.
    That is definitely disappointing. Over the course of my career I have experienced similar situations from a stateside company that used to be the top in their field- they just dont make them like they used to.

Of all the brands- I would still buy mitutoyo and their quantumike is the smoothest and fastest mic ive ever used.

But if you would insist on Tesa- I wouldnt shy away from a gently used vintage set. Worse case you could buy them for a decent price and send them out for a bit of tuning and recalibration.

11. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All of my mics are older vintage mics.

When I was doing my tool & die apprenticeship I had already been in the trade a few years and had all the tools I needed. Several of the kids went out and bought brand new sets, starrett, mitutoyo, etc. The quality of this new stuff was very poor in comparison to the old stuff.

I would rather buy a NIB Starrett from the 50's or 60's or even 70's than buy a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last shop I worked at had one of the Tesa-Hite digital height gauges, that thing was a piece of garbage. It got sent back every year or so because the display kept failing, and it was not terribly repeatable. You had to do every bump just right or it would give different readings for the same setup every time. The last time we sent it in for service, in the factory crate with the factory packaging, they sent it back with the standards and hardware thrown in the box loose and the packaging just stuffed in the corner. It looked like someone threw it down a flight of stairs. I spent several hours filing the dings out of the base so it would sit flat, and massaging the dent out of the chassis so it would travel smoothly. The factory pretty much told us to go F ourselves when we called to complain. I will never own another one of their products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could also likely buy a good condition used set of three for about the price of one new. Best of both worlds. They'd have the old time quality and feel, but still measure as new. Like you, I think those spinning digit cubes are pretty cool.