What's new
What's new

Has Etalon's quality really slipped?

Marc_Stokeld

Cast Iron
I uisually go by the advice given on LII's web site. they used to reccomend Etalon michrometers, but now they are saying the quality has slipped and the Swiss made B&S mics are the best made today.

Have any of yall seen or experienced this. Need soem new mics and want to get a good pair to last a long times. And advice or experiences are greatly appreciated.

THanks!

Personally, I've never been a big fan of the standard Etalon mics. I know that many would disagree.

Look at most any used pair and you'll likely find the plastic heat shields have chipped away. The spindle lock is a bit cumbersome. The ergonomics (spindle moves, reading, feel in hand), to me, are just a step above average. What they did have (and I don't know if they've slipped) is very accurate construction. Anyhow, to me they are a sort of "B+" even in the good old days.

The Etalon Micro-Rapids are another story -- beautifully made and a pleasure to use. However, I don't believe they're still made in inch versions.

The old US made and the current Swiss made B&S mics, in comparison to the standard Etalon, have always been a bit more comfortable in my hands, with better attention to some details, and just as accurate.

Yep, Etalon has become crap quality

Hi Marc:
I thought I'd treat myself and upgrade from a Mitutoyo height gauge to an Etalon.
When it arrived I took one look and shipped it right back.
It was as bad as my neighbour's $250.00 Fowler!!
Cheap stamped parts, rough movement, surface ground base with no evidence it had ever been lapped; just a piece of shit all around.
The seller (KBC) shrugged their shoulders, took it back and gave me a refund.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home

Haven't ever really liked Etalon, just didn't stack up to Mit in my opinion. But I've seen some recent examples at friend's shops and they do seem to have gotten 'cheaper' looking. Swiss made doesn't necessarily mean excellent!

Back