What's new
What's new

Height Gage Probe Tips

sneebot

Stainless
Looking for a source for 8mm shank height gage probes.

I'm aware of all the Chinese options on ebay. Original
manufacturer is, of course, an option.

Just wondering if someone had a good aftermarket source
with good quality probes.

I don't use the OEM ones enough to wear them out, but every now and then it would be nice to have one that sits at an odd angle, is an unusual length, etc. My solution was to thread a piece of 8 mm rod with the same threading as CMM rubies. Then at the very least your outlay is X ball sizes+Y stem type/lengths rather than X*Y.
If you know someone who uses their CMM enough to need to replace rubies ask for their old ones and mount those. A few micron flat spot that makes a ruby useless for a scanning CMM isn't much of an issue on a height stand where it vanishes in the stylus compensation.

I don't use the OEM ones enough to wear them out, but every now and then it would be nice to have one that sits at an odd angle, is an unusual length, etc. My solution was to thread a piece of 8 mm rod with the same threading as CMM rubies. Then at the very least your outlay is X ball sizes+Y stem type/lengths rather than X*Y.
If you know someone who uses their CMM enough to need to replace rubies ask for their old ones and mount those. A few micron flat spot that makes a ruby useless for a scanning CMM isn't much of an issue on a height stand where it vanishes in the stylus compensation.

After starting the thread and poking around a bit I came to the same conclusion. CMM probes seem to be far cheaper and available in a bazillion configurations.

Back